Wack Things in Taiwan 2023

That’s weird.

Back in the day, and actually not so long ago, PX MART was cash only. Then, they started accepting only Taishin, then Chinatrust. Recently, they told me any card goes. Well, seems not. :rant:

5 Likes

And of course the news of the strange sea creature ramen has gone abroad, with CNN and Reuter doing pieces in several languages.

The comments in Spanish go along these lines: didn’t they learn last time?! That is how we’ll get COVID-22!!! That is why the weird viruses come from there!

And so on and so forth.

4 Likes

Went to PX Mart and for some reason the app is just not working so I ask if they can punch in my phone number for my membership/points and they say they can’t…incredibly annoying that I have to count on having the app not being a piece of crap that is incredibly slow or often crashes to take advantage of being member…even though their entire system already has my phone number and previously you could use your phone number…

Really tired of all the shitty garbage apps in Taiwan, although I know it’s not a unique to Taiwan thing. If you’re going to have an app at least make it so it doesn’t feel like I’m back on dial-up or doesn’t crash all the dang time…

Even Taipei city had an English Taipei MRT app that looked like it was made by elementary school kids it was so bad…if you bought the day pass and got the discount code with it you couldn’t scan the code…had to manually punch in the 20+ character code yourself and it wouldn’t even save/register it…complete garbage and that’s what they were showing for tourists/visitors. Embarrassing.

4 Likes

They’ve got a point. It would help if Taiwanese stopped also eating weird stuff (or at least stopped making it so weird to get into international media).

1 Like

It’s seafood. It’s not really valid in this case, I’d think. Not like a bat or whatever

1 Like

Yes, that Thai tiger shrimp flu pandemic very nearly dealt us all the death blow.

2 Likes

I doubt that the people making these comments are giving much thought to viral host specificity before making them. All they’re seeing is “why are these people eating such weird shit?”

4 Likes

I agree… There are too many apps… I know a guy who writes apps. I guess it is in his interest for every shop to have its own app.

But really they are a hassle to deal with. I can understand a taipei transit app… But it seems nearly every shop / chain has one now.

2 Likes

I paid NT$15k in tax today. They said that in August, I’ll get a 20k rebate. I like this tax stuff.

2 Likes

No doubt, but do they have a point?

I think so, yeah. The point is “that’s a weird thing for humans to be eating”.

Waterborne Covid. There is no escape.

Oh, it sounded like the point was that it could lead to situations like COVID.

Oh no, that wasn’t what I meant. :slightly_smiling_face:

(I don’t think some Chinese people eating weird shit is what led to a situation like COVID, either.)

2 Likes

Live caged Collared Dove put out with the recycling.

3 Likes

New (to me) line from the Wild-Eyed-Welcomer-Wish-To-Practive-My-In-Ge-Lish-Irritant-Contingent intruding on my coffee and computer communing

“Welcome! Hello! Where Are You Come From? Are You Come From RUSSIA?”

Whats with that all of a sudden?

Is there are big contingent of incoming Ivans dodging the draft here?

If they are cram schooling, will there be a generation of Bond Villian accented wee
Taiwanese running around with ricin enriched umberrellas? That’d be nice.

Wasn’t the standard issue cluelessness because when I informed him of his error (with attempted menace, as an undercover Spetsnaz with an inconveniently blown cover might do) he told me that Shaun Connery was dead, a bit of a non sequitur but maybe a comment on the prospects for Scottish independence.

Maybe they finally got the memo on “All Foreigners are American” and assuming they were Russian seems appropriately the opposite, which would be a start, and thus not entirely a bad thing.

In this case it was a fast track to the Advanced “Fuck Off And Bother Someone Else” Encounter English lesson, not entirely a bad thing either.

3 Likes

I don’t fancy eating that, but then again, M&Ms and pringles are weird things for humans to be eating.

1 Like

Just smile, and enjoy the caged dove, assuming it is still vivacious, as you seem. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think they decide the contracts for these things based on price alone.
You get what you pay for, and these companies want to pay peanuts.

Then they go and pay crazy money for some consultants with buisness masters from NTU to tell them why customers don’t like the app.

2 Likes
8 Likes