Wack Things in Taiwan 2023

Please tell me this little buddy didn’t end up in the recycling truck. :confounded:

I got my (Taiwanese) GF to text the (Taiwanese) landlord about it, foreign weirdo troublemaker stylee.

Both were quite pissed off with me, apparently

Landlord took a while to reply but eventually said he’d released it.

It appeared to be tame so probably wont do well in the big outdoors.

Thinking about it, I would / should probably have hung the cage from a tree (there are cats about) and opened it, giving the possibility of a transitional food supply while hopefully adapting to freedom, but I didn’t think of that at the time and couldn’t really have expected the landlord to bother with it.

2 Likes

Our neighborhood resident hunter cat -a partial feral well beyond 17 years old tabby- caught a rescued dove another neighbor was raising. RIP little one -the dove I mean.

1 Like

In the future, internal staff education and training will be strengthened, after which the Shipai branch will be reopened at a later date, said Hsu.

To be fair the original training probably did not include “Don’t wring out filthy towels into the food we serve.”

5 Likes

Oh how I hate the cats running around my house at night. Last night their screaming woke me up at 4:00am. My neighbor lost 10 baby chickens to a cat one night. He forgot to put the box of chicks inside his garage at night. A cat tore the heads off all the chicks.

2 Likes

Cant really object to predators doing their thing, but sponsored predators are a man-made problem.

2 Likes

A man dressed as a woman was arrested for allegedly filming women in the women’s washroom of a Hsinchu shopping mall.

4 Likes

No words.

10 Likes

Wack of the year.

“I like being a bad ass. See my cars on my roof. Those cars will be there forever because…did I mention… I am a bad ass?”

1 Like

Yer, looks like he wanted to wind up his neighbours

I bet he’s a hoarder

The one I want to meet is the crane operator. I mean, he shows up on the job and the client says: put these two cars on the roof. Just another Tuesday.

4 Likes

It’s amazing those were there for two years, particularly the one perched like a drunk pigeon.

1 Like

And now he says he is going to dump them on the mountains.

That’s everywhere these days, even the US… Even though I arranged all of my apps to have a folder, I hate having to thumb through 8 pages of apps for that one app I might only use once every 2 months, and even every year or two, or even toying around with the idea of having a 2nd phone when I’m actually in Taiwan.

Even worse? I haven’t found an app with enough decent ratings in App Store for me to use for receipts… But then again since I was only in town for CNY, I just asked for paper receipts so that my 75 year-old mom isn’t confused on how to redeem things.

My wack list when I visited:

• In Taipei, no standardized height or minimum amount of opening for a sidewalk; I helped out whenever I can, but since I’m 5’10" (178 cm) and the wheelchair was built for the height of my 4’11" (150 cm) mom, I had to throw out my back bending down to push my grandma’s wheelchair as it is, even worse up and down various slopes, figure out ways around stairs, even carrying the wheelchair up and down a few steps, or like my mom frequently does that is unnerving, give up and push her alongside a fairly busy street as if there’s no sidewalk at all, especially since there’s a boatload of scooters parked there… I struggled to imagine what she’d do when I’m not there! At least in the US, there’s laws for a minimum width for the sidewalk and actively hands out fines for anybody blocking the way.

• We had electronic wheelchair ramps on buses since at least the early 2000’s in the US; almost every bus I’ve been on in Taiwan are either manually retracting or a board tucked away somewhere near the back door, and only a small handful of buses have safety straps, and even less drivers would actually help you connect them (when in the US it’s full service for the driver to push you onboard and strap you in), so me (or in my absence, my mom) would have to hold the wheelchair, and there were one or two drivers that drove like they are in their first ever hour of driving school. Even more interesting? I had to convince my mom that the MRT is actually even more accessible than buses, and to accelerate/brake more smoothly, and she actually started taking it more… About a week before I went back to the US :man_facepalming:.

• Good and bad: The fact that you can be cited by anybody with a dash cam is unreal. On one hand, it’s great for an egregious, dangerous offense, like if some guy in his ratty old Honda City thinks he’s driving around Lihpao. On the other hand, my friend got cited based on a photo (not a video) that he didn’t signal enough for a lane change, when in the US, the “blink 3x” feature of most cars is enough when there’s nobody behind you (my friend’s 2017 Altis didn’t even seem to have that feature), and it’s usually not even worth any cop’s or court’s time to be the primary reason for a stop unless it’s a REALLY slow day or the officer is trying to appease his supervisor.

3 Likes

That guy is smart enough to know that if he puts them up there, then he will get paid again to take them down.

3 Likes

Sure. Why not?

Cranewise, I find it slightly odd (maybe not full-on wack) that they’ll tie up a couple of big expensive cranes to remove a bucket of rubble from rooftop construction/demolition activity every half-hour or so.

Evidently they havn’t heard of skips, or the gangsters/contractors involved are making more money from the cranes somehow so are engaged in skip-suppresion.

If anyone gets rich starting a skip bizniz as a result of this post, I’d appreciate a contribution to my yacht fund.

OTOH, if you get a midnight visit from a cement contractor, nothing to do with me.

1 Like

Pardon me, not a Native English speaker: what is a skip? A ship?

1 Like