Warning! If you're an EU national, TW banks may cancel or refuse to renew your Credit Card! The 2020 Banking Discrimination Saga

One of my credit cards expires in May. YuanShan Bank.
Have had it for years. Always paid on time. Only carried a small, insignificant balance month to month.

I want to switch cards to one that has better cash back % within the same bank. Going in tomorrow to give it a shot.

This thread has me nervous.

2 Likes

You better get ready for a fight!
Unless you bring your Taiwanese half with you. Then it’s all :rainbow::rainbow: and :butterfly::butterfly:

3 Likes

All of you should be ready for a fight if you intend on maintaining your rights here in Taiwan in the world of finance and subscriptions. Do not back down.

7 Likes

Are you allowed access to your account?
Could you withdraw money over the counter or close the account?

Yes. I can access my money and intend to empty it.

1 Like

When I first opened a bank account here, the manager implored, nay, begged me to get a credit card. If I’d asked him to get down on his knees and lick my shoes, he would have.
I’m like “Nah, fuck that. I’m dreadful enough with cash. If I had credit, I’d be in a whole world of pain”.
Things seem to have changed a lot since then.

1 Like

I don’t even get a ‘You’re important to us’

I miss western customer service sometimes.

3 Likes

“We’re doing you a favor” is more the motto of Taiwan banking

11 Likes

Why do businesses even bother?

1 Like

Today. We will show that actions have consequences!

Wish me luck!

5 Likes

go get 'em, tiger.
hell hath no fury like a Marco scorned over his Taiwan credit card.
good luck

2 Likes

although you might not be given written reports (but you should demand them before leaving) you should 100% record every conversation with them. Not juat phone calls, but in person talks. Indo this now as i have been fucked a few times as well by the gov here. Just have audio recorder on and put your phone on the desk. From the get go, mention your name and try to casually get them to say, or at least agree to, who they are and which agency you are in. Later in court you must have those basic details on record before you can go anywhere.

Best of luck, these scum suckers are impossibly annoying to listen to :frowning: but at the end of the day, they dont give 2 shits and go home to their family. So it is very good to remind ourselves we are fighting a system not an individual.

3 Likes

Yea. I learned that when dealing with that part time buxiban gig i did. I will never touch english teaching again.

I fail to see how this is discrimination. Doesn’t the EU have it’s own plethora of rules which give preferential treatment in a variety of sectors to EU citizens versus others? Isn’t it discrimination for EU citizens to enjoy stuff when others don’t?

The rest of the world doesn’t have to obey EU rules. Just like EU banks are not forced to obey Taiwan’s rules.

Refusing to do business with you because of rules back in the EU is not discrimination - it’s EU’s problem.

How was it?
Any update?

Yes it is EUs problem. So why are Taiwan’s banks enforcing EUs problem. Marco is a legal resident here. What matters is Taiwan’s banking rules

1 Like

Answer is pretty simple, it is a crappy bank. GDPR made a lot of companies panic here in Taiwan, financial or not. Everyone had to change their websites and most of them didn’t understood the rules properly and resulted in one company I worked for deleting the entire newsletter database out of panic (worldwide, not all subscribers were in the EU).

Seems like they didn’t prepare properly for GDPR and their solution is just not to deal with EU citizens which is probably easier than actually understanding how to comply with GDPR. This will probably change until the US implements a similar system and companies have no choice but to actually move their asses.

2 Likes

he already answered that question. if you’re a company outside the eu you can do whatever you want within your markets. if you wish to do business in the eu, your company will be held to that standard

1 Like

Then Taiwan hasn’t to obey the US rules about handing over bank information. They do, but in fact they prefer not to give US citizens a bank account.

Why should Taiwan care about compliance with EU privacy laws?