Was Kratom just banned in Taiwan?

it seems english version has not been updated yet. Kratom is listed in chinese version.

1 Like

Thanks for your help on this, much appreciated. I was wondering about ordering it or not. Didn’t want to pass it up out of paranoia when it’s something so beneficial, but at the same time risking any kind of illegal substance in Taiwan is not something to take lightly.

Unfortunate news, but cheers nonetheless.

Where can I find the Chinese version?

Here

https://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=L0030010

1 Like

Yep! You think correctly. Just another substance to abuse like bath salts and Kambucha.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/health/kratom-deaths-cdc-study/index.html

Kratom can’t actually kill people. Those people that supposedly died from kratom also tested positive for substances like fentanyl, heroin, and benzos which are known to have lethal OD’s (especially fent).

Pretty sure kombucha is just a fermented tea and not even an intoxicating substance.

Agreed after reading the article .
If they are going to say it caused 91 deaths they should explain how it did that.
We could do the same study for coffee and come out with more deaths I’m betting !

2 Likes

The big question is why is this propaganda being purposefully spread to mislead the scientifically illiterate public? If I die with a dollar bill in my pocket is the dollar bill a causative agent?

The regulatory powers must know that you have more chance of winning the power ball than being killed by Kratom.

I can only surmise that Kratom will impact their profits as people discover it is a viable alternative treatment for many issues and big pharma would rather you spend money on their patented solutions.

https://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/ingredients/kratom-group-cdc-report-doesn-t-show-botanical-caused-deaths

2 Likes

Reading a followup article from the American Kratom Association, there isn’t even a known LD50 for kratom, so while we can’t say with absolute certainty that it isn’t lethal, citing it as a cause of death is misconduct at a bare minimum.

Definitely an issue of money. According to reddit comments on the topic, one of the major pharmaceutical companies has been trying to isolate the alkaloids of kratom as a proprietary formula, and right around the time a patent was filed, all of the anti-kratom hysteria started catching on. Apparently the work has been unsuccessful so far due to the complexity of it not being one single compound to isolate and synthesize. Regardless of the progress on that end, you can’t patent a plant and as people turn away from expensive and dangerous pills to a natural plant, they just see that as lost profits.

I have no idea what the power of pharm companies in Taiwan is, but if American media is stirring up a scare about a new “street drug”, I could definitely see Taiwanese politicians and police looking to immediately control it all.

At the same time though it’s a traditional Asian medicinal plant, and traditional medicine seems to be so widely accepted here. I mean I get that cannabis is essentially the same thing but we all know that has a nearly a 100 years of propaganda to work against and it also does clearly make you high (something that many people think is bad in and of itself unless it’s alcohol). Kratom doesn’t strike me as having any real recreational value, it’s like a mild to moderate mood lifter with no real intoxicating benefits. You’ll feel nice, but definitely not high. The corruption angle makes total sense for America but I still wonder why Taiwan is going along with it all unless pharma lobbies/money are huge out here too.

So is there a general consensus on it being legal/illegal? I’m trying to decide whether or not to get some once again. Borneohale is advising DHL vs. POS International Shipping Regular as they say cite a current issue with the former in that a package has not being delivered to TW for two weeks at this point. Heck, it took two weeks for my last package to arrive from them.

1 Like

This says it was official listed as a schedule 2 controlled substance on 4/11

「東非罌粟」恰特草含毒 食藥署增列管制藥品

食藥署管制藥品組劉佳萍表示,本月11日食藥署增列5款管制藥品,分別為恰特草、類安非他命物質(4-乙 基-2,5-二甲氧基苯基乙基胺)、類大麻活性物質(N-[(2S)-1-氨基-3-甲基-1-羰基丁烷-2-基]-1-戊基吲唑-3-羧醯胺)、類卡西酮物質(乙基甲基卡西酮)、帽柱木鹼

劉佳萍說 … 而這次新增的帽柱木鹼,則是源自植物「卡痛」,帽柱木鹼是一種類鴉片物質,會影響中樞神經,與恰特草比較不一樣,帽柱木鹼是先列管植物,再列管其成分。

Why don’t you check the law.

You know what happens if they catch illegal drugs going to your house in Taiwan?

Quick search my friend.
Plus did you really put your photo on here too lol.

I hope you don’t have a package in the mail.

Also here, but not in English yet

五、增列帽柱木鹼(Mitragynine、9-Methoxycorynantheidine)為第三級管制藥品。

Schedule 3 actually.

You have to realize that American soft power is so powerful that anything they regulate, 99% of all other countries will regulate too!

Until that changes, if the US regulates or thinks about regulating a substance, you bet your ass any civilized countries will regulate it to the level the US wants to (but couldn’t due to political climate there).

No, I don’t have a package in the mail. And no, that’s not me in the photo.

It’s you and I am Inspector Closeau.

1 Like

It is our Natural Law right to ingest any substance we want. Whatever consenting adults do is of nobody’s concern as long as it does not infringe on other’s rights.
The war on drugs is a war on people. Portugal decriminalized all drugs YEARS ago , it is treated as a health issue and not a crime… There has been a MASSIVE drop of 52% drop in addiction rates and police resources can be directed towards real crime where there are actual victims.
The war on drugs is " Drugs are ruining your life. now we will ruin it for you". Cruel and ignorant.

1 Like

I think it’s primarily about money and control. The government cannot make money off Kratom so they ban it. Simple as that. They have no interest in our well-being - the opposite is true.

A rational response would be to require a doctor’s prescription if a valid medical need is indicated.

I’d bet you if they could patent it they would go down such a path. New Zealand has done this and I am mighty impressed with their progressive government in general.

Welcome to our rulers. Moronic and/or corrupt.

The thought of humans colonizing other planets truly terrifies me. We truly are a stain and I hope climate change hurries along.

I agree, it’s my body and i’m not harming anyone else. I’m living in Italy right now and Kratom is illegal, marijuana laws are lax and there is medical weed. As someone who played and still play contact and combat sports. And having some severe injuries happen. Some days i’m just in pain. Why can’t I as an educated adult ingest something that can help me?

It pisses me off they peddled opiates out like candy but weed and kratom isn’t legal in places. I remember how awful I felt coming off opiates after tearing my knee, I felt awful for at least a week, and had this mental haze for a few months. And seeing my friends get hooked and die from it is just insane.

I used to think that way, but then I realized my own species is just as bad in its own way. :2cents: