We moved to Kaohsiung!

With climate issues, “normal” as we know it is unfortunately finished.

Guy

Central, right? Plus Northern. Now Southern.

With this range of cross-national experience—plus international experience—the kids will be ready to be astute politicians when they grow up. :grin:

Guy

They need rain.

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202302180013#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20CWB%2C%20Taiwan,increased%20amount%20of%20dry%20spells.

According to the CWB, Taiwan has experienced over 1,200 days without a typhoon making landfall.

Additionally, the last rainfall that replenished an effective amount of water to the south was over 550 days ago.

1 Like

Yes they do! No doubt about that.

Guy

1 Like

Congrats on the move, Brianjones! Glad to see it’s off to a good start.

2 Likes

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here. Everyone I know well here has never left Kaohsiung - even after 5, 10, 15, 20 years! So be warned, it’s a pretty good life :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m in Kaohsiung airport now, haven’t been here in many years.

It’s pleasantly spacious and fairly modern. It is very quiet with many stores shut. Almost all the open stores are luxury goods or duty free shops. There is one cafe open, at least on this side of the airport.

It feels like covid is still reverberating here, although it may also be that it is the quiet season or that Chinese tourists disappearance is still being felt.

Taoyuan has already picked up a lot in comparison (they have many transfer passengers), although that also had some stores and restaurants that were still shut. I feel KHH should be busier given how big the population it serves is.

A quiet comfortable airport is not a bad thing overall though! Through security screen and immigration in less than 5 minutes. 20 minutes taxi ride from my house. Very happy about that.

9 Likes

This is not covid, it’s been like this for years.

2 Likes

My ride to Airport 20 min/NT$305, good! I guess I flew out a few hours before you

I remember that. It rained like crazy non-stop for weeks! I thought I was in Taipei!

People were piling up in my local coin-op laundromat to use the dryers because they couldn’t hang dry their clothes for a few weeks straight.

No downpour like that has happened since that time.

1 Like

I thought I was a fish
:fish:

1 Like

Glad you enjoy our quiet neighborhood airport! Because it’s always quiet. From what I understand, it’s been quiet ever since the HSR was built.

1 Like

It was busy Tuesday when I flew out as the long boarding line in the photo above. One thing in Taiwan, still a lot of masks. In Hing Kong much less, in Singapore and Malaysia today much fewer, Japan between Singapore and Taiwan. I will nice the nice warm weather for two weeks, be in the cold EU this weekend hope to avoid any more snow in the Baltics. (Warsaw has a bit of a heat wave today at 17, but when get there it will be near zero and Vilnius has snow per weather report.)

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&q=weather+report+suite+dead&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhuZ3wsvL9AhUBkmoFHcnoDqcQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=414&bih=617&dpr=3#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:85059d1c,vid:IN6mjNMNytY

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing more insights. Wouldn’t mind living there myself at some point.

2 Likes

So was the food as good as the views

1 Like

I remember it was actually very good, fresh made yeast dough I think.

Flew back to KHH airport from South east asia this week. Pretty quick getting baggage and going through immigration cos its really small. Egates are really good these days in Taiwan.

Holy shit did they over do the paranoia about bringing fruit and veg and meat into the country.

I think because they have small numbers of passengers there and nothing to do most of the time they go gestapo on telling you with loudspeakers and repeating 9 times the same shit all the way to customs.

The whole hall is festooned with ‘do not bring in these items’ Taiwanese style . Dog running around with the handler onto every passenger.

Seriously all a bit weird and annoying. Calm down. Nowhere else goes nuts like this.

2 Likes

My guess is that the Council of Agriculture trying to right the wrong of the current egg shortage.

1 Like

That’s when I would have yelled taike to the handler, made sheep bleating noises and offered the dog a whisbih. What a sanitary and phytosanitary posturing show for a low traffic airport.