What are you doing for Chinese New Year?

No car :frowning:
So Iā€™m looking at public transportation. Also a nightmare during CNY.

Do you have any Taiwan bank credit cards? You can get cheap chauffeurs through many of them, and they donā€™t charge much more for night trips.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Iā€™ll look into that.

I donā€™t get all this negativity from foreigners about CNY. Iā€™m really looking forward to it this year. Iā€™m thinking alternating Costco steaks with lamb cutlets. Maybe a nice bottle of red. Cheese. Cigars.

Whatā€™s not to like?

1 Like

Sounds like youā€™re not being forced to spend it with the in-laws. Congratulations!

1 Like

Pretend you are abroad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I love the inlaws home cooking itā€™s fantastic everytime but during the Lunar New Year then they try to go exotic and order all these nasty tasting delicacies. My mother in law is pretty cool though and cooks me egg fried rice :smile: while they all eat these weird sea food delicacies.

I think Iā€™ve figured out how Iā€™ve landed a Get out of Jail free card. Like a lot of older couples in Taiwan the in-laws canā€™t stand each other. Separate bedrooms, constant sniping etc. Iā€™m pretty sure a family discussion is taking place and they donā€™t want my big nose around while that happens.

Back of the net for me, of course.

1 Like

Lucky bastardā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Iā€™m toying with the idea of going skiing in Japan.

Sorry, this sounds like gloating - which of course it is.

Iā€™m actually not sure what to do for CNY this year. Normally I always got together with the family, but since my grandma died over the summer weā€™re still in the yearlong mourning period and canā€™t do CNY.

Sorry to be a downer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Break a leg! :grin:

1 Like

You probably should make a few phone calls and insist on offering your services as an intermediary. ā€œI really feel like I should be there, I know I can be of helpā€ etc. If you play your cards right you could be blackballed from all future gatherings.

2 Likes

Way too risky. What if they agree?

Never happen!

Thatā€™s a risk I wouldnā€™t be willing to take.

Fortune favors the bold. Besides you could sense the winds and backtrack if necessary.

oh really old chap North of France for me ! Away from the peasants. Just kidding Iā€™ll be in Ilan I guess.

1 Like

Unless you leave the country, everything decent in Taiwan will be booked up. Having said that, I recall Taipei being quite quiet during CNY (before I got married), so maybe some foreign Taipei restaurants might be an idea. I went to Tuga (a Portuguese restaurant) recently and it was very good. Itā€™s opposite On Tap.

2 Likes

That used to be the case, but no longer, unfortunately.

3 Likes

I visited Ilan for the first time recently, if you can believe that. We went to the place where the bridge collapsed. It was very nice, although the buildings were ugly as.

My concern during CNY would be getting through that snow mountain tunnel. I would guesstimate 7 hours to Taipei.

1 Like