What are you doing for Chinese New Year?

That tunnel makes me very nervous. I know exactly the one you’re talking about. A stunning feat of engineering still it is unnerving when the traffic stops and you can see the emergency escape tunnels ! Imagine being stuck in there during an earth quake.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Same concept as Jewish people going to Chinese restaurants during Christmas.

2 Likes

If only there was a Jewish deli.

2 Likes

Curse you! I’d kill for a hot pastrami sandwich and a kosher dill right now… :drooling_face:

1 Like

I would happily make that a Christmas tradition.

This:

I spend most of my CNY in virtual radio silence, avoiding well meaning local friends, classmates, co-workers neighbors, landlords and acquaintances who would love to shelter poor atoga from the loneliness of spending this season alone.

Most memorable experiences in CNY include an introduction to hentai as there was nothing else to read in the outskirts of Tainan, 42 hours of nothing but Taiwanese game/variety shows on tv, cold cold and nothing but cold… I pass on CNY, OK?

1 Like

:rofl: I’m so sorry.

Well it does beat the old country. One whole month of people drinking to oblivion, which means DUI deaths every day. Drunk people like to shoot guns in celebration, meaning deaths and wounded from stray bullets. Crime shoots through the roof as people have money and new things … and everyone has guns. Food prices go through the roof as the markets are controlled by government officials who rule for their own interest.

1 Like

I try to remember to call it Lunar New Year now just to spite China not for PC reasons. Calling it Taiwan New Year would just be trolling or Forumosa New Year :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheres the old country if it is not a secret ?

It is. They do not like me pointing its flaws. It is heaven! And anyone who says the contrary is an heretic…and you know what happens to heretics.

2 Likes

Normally, the cooking there is great! But the problem at CNY is they go with all the traditional dull dishes, and they’re cooked before lunchtime and laid out on the family altar all day - so we’ve got a) inferior dishes in the first place, and b) often cold, occasionally lukewarm, once in a while microwaved, and I think the microwaving is just a result of several years of me merely picking at my food (out of fear of food poisoning). It’s the only time I don’t enjoy my mother-in-law’s cooking.

Hmm. My wife’s grandmother died last year as well - now I’m wondering how things are going to be different this year.

For CNY eve itself: cook something nice at home, unless you can find a good restaurant that’s open that night. I recommend staying put in Taipei: any “traveling” I’ve done in the CNY week has just been hours of sitting in traffic jams, whether on highways or scenic mountain roads.

It depends on the family. We’re doing things the old-fashioned way.

Oh I have no intention of traveling. Would be insane.

1 Like

Lunar new year prices are ridiculous.

My wife insisted on going with family on some trip and I had to get some cabin in the mountains for it.

The cabin is on new year 16k/night which is double the normal price(which was also imo expensive)

This Chinese New Year I will try to avoid the Kaoliang they always give without asking, I think I’ve been long enough in Taiwan to decline that part.

I recently just relocated here in Taipei and will likely be just spending CNY in town. Will there be stores/restaurants open? Anything interesting I can do outside my apartment?

I mean I can live on home-cooked meals and movie marathons but y’know, options would be nice.

Welcome to the forum luna!

Yeah, plenty of stuff is open - smaller mom & pop places, slightly less likely, but for chains there’s not much of a difference from regular opening hours. See this thread for more information:

That’s a tougher question. I suspect a lot of galleries and museums do close, especially for the first few days, even if the department stores remain open. As posted up-thread, I personally think trying to leave Taipei and deal with the ensuing traffic is an awful idea. For actual CNY festivities, I don’t recall ever seeing anything (it’d be a bit like looking for fun on Christmas Day in a North American city - you’re not going to find much); Lantern Festival, officially two weeks later but with lantern displays often starting earlier, is more entertaining. It looks like the biggest event is in Taichung this year (I think it moves around from year to year?), but there should be smaller displays at a few locations around Taipei.

You could always visit Dihua Street for the pre-CNY shopping. If you’re new to Taiwan, I can see that being interesting.

Traditionally the weather is dire at this time of year, but if the current fantastic weather holds, you can go hiking or enjoy the riverside cycling trails or whatever other outdoor activities you’re interested in.

1 Like

Wow thanks for the suggestions! I’ll look into Dihua street, some of my colleagues recommended that to me too.

We’ll let you know when it opens. It is a big deal.

This thread title keeps making me think of this song, which I love.

https://youtu.be/FIcuK7wW8bU

1 Like