What are you listening to? (Part 2)

I know most of you all are hostile to hip-hop, but to those who aren’t haters, I’ve been going through a bunch of Wu-Tang solo projects. In order from best to worst, they are:

[Get now]
GZA “Liquid Swords”
Ghostface Killah “The Pretty Toney Album”

[Good but not essential]
Raekwon “Built 4 Cuban Linx Only”
Method Man “Tical”

[Except for a few tracks, you can safely skip]
Ghost Dog soundtrack
O.D.B. “Return to the 36 Chambers”

The first two especially are essential if you’re a fan of Wu-Tang. And it goes without saying that if you don’t have Wu-Tang’s debut, your music collection is lacking.

Roy Orbison’s A Black & White Night with DTS surround sound… loud

Truly awesome

The Mr Fighting soundtrack.
:blush:

Bought me a bunch of new CDs during my two weeks back in NZ, so they’re in high rotation right now:

Savage - Moonshine
Brooke Fraser - What To Do With Daylight
The Feelers - Playground Battle
Rhombus - Bass Player
Various Artists - State of the Nation
Che Fu, Kristen Morelle (of Goldenhorse), Milan Borich (of Pluto), Anika Moa, Adeaze, Hinewehi Mohi,and David Atai & Donald McNulty (Nesian Mystik) - Anchor Me (released in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the bombing of the Rainbow Warrior)

(Of these, only The Feelers’ site doesn’t provide any samples/downloads.)

Watching / Listening to the ABC Asia Pacific documentary on Pink Floyd and their album Dark Side of the Moon… Interviews with the band members… great stuff

Damned awesome

It will be replayed again…

In Japan I bought Sadao Watanabe’s latest CD. I didn’t know which one to get so I got the latest. I’m disappointed in it because it is much more mellow than his usual stuff. It’s called Nature something, I think it’s a compilation of songs that have names about nature, like Green Wind, Wind and Trees, Wind Hug. It’s got some good stuff, but I wish I knew enough to get a good one.

Gorrilas new set… and new Caribou album (btw, will be at Formoz on friday night.)

Just thought I’d share an Internet radio station I found: Soma FM. Anyone heard of it? I’ve been listening to the “groove salad” show.

Currently…

Dr John “Dr John’s Gumbo”

Cedric Im Brooks and The Light of Saba s/t

The Congos “Heart of The Congos”

Shuggie Otis “Inspiration Information”

and a few funk 45 compilations

royksopp - the understanding

does anybody have a chance to see/ buy their 1st album (melody AM) here?

This guy rocks.
:nsfw:

iloverichardcheese.com/clips.html

:nsfw:

Caribou is good. It’s the closest I get to electronica/DJ, if that’s the proper term.

I was a moderately enthusiastic Blur fan. What does Gorrilaz sound like?

Great Internet site out of San Francisco. “Groove Salad” is excellent, but I also enjoy the “Secret Agent” stream.

Excellent sounds from Soma FM.

[quote=“kolibri”]royksopp - the understanding

does anybody have a chance to see/ buy their 1st album (melody AM) here?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure Rose or definitely Eslite would have it. I wasn’t too sure about The Understanding at first but it’s growing on me. I can’t wait to get a copy of the new Goldfrapp album.

Marc Cohen - Walking in Memphis

Commodores - Nightshift

its a beautiful friday…

Me too. My copy is in the mail from the UK. Hope it gets here in the next few days. I’ve been enjoying the first single, but that’s just two songs worth.

[quote=“curlyclaire”]
I’m pretty sure Rose or definitely Eslite would have it. I wasn’t too sure about The Understanding at first but it’s growing on me. I can’t wait to get a copy of the new Goldfrapp album.[/quote]
taipei? im in taichung… :slight_smile: and we have FNAC here, fr where I bought felt mountain. fnac is quite ok for this kinda collections.

am also looking 4 new tears for fears album, “everybody loves a happy ending”,

[quote=“kolibri”][quote=“curlyclaire”]
I’m pretty sure Rose or definitely Eslite would have it. I wasn’t too sure about The Understanding at first but it’s growing on me. I can’t wait to get a copy of the new Goldfrapp album.[/quote]
Taipei? im in taichung… :slight_smile: and we have FNAC here, fr where I bought felt mountain. fnac is quite ok for this kinda collections.

am also looking 4 new tears for fears album, “everybody loves a happy ending”,[/quote] Have you tried the music shops near TLI and around Chungyo department store in Taichung?

Incidentally a couple of them have 4AD CDs on sale for $NT148 at the moment. I picked up

Throwing Muses - Limbo
Red House Painters - Red House Painters 2
The Breeders - Last Splash

Those albums are what I am currently listening to.

been around chung yo, and found a store that RENTS the CDs aside of selling ones. good collections of chill outs/ electronics for rent. bought chicane’s single “love on the run” and a man called adam’s punta del este sunset :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . thanks for tip. btw whats TLI?

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]
Incidentally a couple of them have 4AD CDs on sale for $NT148 at the moment. I picked up

Throwing Muses - Limbo
Red House Painters - Red House Painters 2
The Breeders - Last Splash

Those albums are what I am currently listening to.[/quote]

I used to listen to the Breeders so much. I like the Divine Hammer single. I also just reimported Last Splash into iTunes a few weeks ago.

In the past few months, I think the albums I’ve listened to the most are

Carla Bruni - Quelqu’un m’a dit
U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Nina Simone - Anthology
Old Boy soundtrack
The World of Nat King Cole (box set from iTunes Music Store containing all tracks from all 6 regional versions of the CD)
Les Nubians - both albums
The Beatles - various stuff

I just picked up Calogero Live 1.0 today, a double CD set of an excellent French band.

I think next I might check out Dylan’s No Direction Home.