What English dialects or accents do you have problems understanding?

The general consensus is that Americans speak closer to how British people did two hundred years ago - both in pronunciation and in vocabulary (though perhaps not grammar). It’s ‘British’ English that has changed. This always amuses me when I hear Brits whining about ‘Americanisms’.

But that sounds like just an excuse. Same happens with Spanish. My theory is that languages evolve everywhere, and of course you might find some “archaisms” in USA that of course where used in England long time ago but that are not used anymore in their side of the Atlantic ocean. Probably if you take an old English book and listen to AmEn and BrEn, BrEn is closer to what is written in the book. But that’s me guessing anyway…

I can tell that when it comes to Spanish, that theory of being closer to the “original Spanish” is bullshit. It’s what I said. Plus they have lots of neologisms coming from local languages, English, and well, weird creativity I guess.

Somehow I doubt that. I’ve never heard anybody in England pronounce the word “wash” as “warsh”

Glad someone brought this up.

I need someone to translate this podcast for me. Really interested in the content, have no idea DAHEQ they’re saying.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: I would take that blog with a grain of salt. Ultra amateur analysis.

He said it in person, he’s blog is more about Taiwan.

Lol. This is bogan Australian English. Don’t think you will hear this much in Melbourne and Sydney.

thanks

I have no trouble understanding both of them. The interviewer (the one with slightly more accent) shocked me though, when he said “XYZ” he said the Z like how an American would say it, instead of zed like they do in England. I guess I didn’t notice that.

The interviewee, Luke Pople, was a professional basketball player turned designer, who is designing for the Bluesox.

1 Like

I speak Australian English which a lot of Chinese people have a hard time understanding unless they live here, but the other day I had a Chinese lady compliment on how clear I spoke, saying that she usually has trouble understanding Australians but could understand me perfectly fine. :man_shrugging:

The extremely OTT Australian accent could be hard to understand (ie that mess in the video posted above, and even him is pretty ok), but most Australians one’d meet in real life would be pretty easy.

Now these are bad.

(you’d have to watch the whole movie to really see how difficult it is to understand)

:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

A diversity of accents and dialects exists in every country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nBB0TmB7Q0

The bogans have been driven out of Sydney and Melbourne?

Tell us more…

Becoming more common, much to my disgust.

It’s a 16 and a half minute podcast. I can transcribe it word for word if you want, but it’ll cost ya :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Name your price. I want it with standard American spellings and annotated with explanations and contextual information for any Aussie-isms

Jesus. Well, in that case, about one fiddy. (That’s $150 to you.)

Nt? You got yourself a deal.

The Scottish accent posted above is just unfair :slight_smile: it is impossible to understand for me.

Also the well known scouse accent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgIarndZhI

He speaks relatively clearly compared to some scousers I’ve heard.

Nah bro, NT de hua zhi shao 3000.

Not a bad price. But I can buy about 5 books from Amazon with $100. Thanks for the offer, maybe something else in the future.