What is Your Favorite Rockumentary?

Zillafire: For sure. It’s a great documentary for the reasons you stated. Love the scene where James tells the other band members he can’t rehearse for more than four hours because his therapist said it’s not good for him. Tool.

[quote=“Toe Save”]This one is pretty good:

[/quote]

Yea, that is a great Rockumentary. I’ve always liked Queen but I never really knew much about them. Thanks!

The Decline of Western Civilization

This is Spinal Tap (mockumentary)

[quote=“neesh”]The Decline of Western Civilization

This is Spinal Tap (mockumentary)[/quote]

Mine goes to 11

Last Days Here, which due to its subject is a lot like Spinal Tap, absent the meanness. It’s about a young Baltimore music fan’s attempt to resurrect D.C.'s long dead doom rock band Pentagram, a band that, thanks to its lead singer, Bobby Liebling, never made it. It’s very funny; my god the list of ways Liebling can fuck things up, then and now, is endless. Pentagram supposedly has a long backlist of unreleased material. Even their old 70s stuff pulls in new, young fans today like moths to a flame (Sean Pelletier, the young Baltimorean, builds the first Pentagram [strike]Facebook[/strike] Myspace page … which then attracts friends and comments at a pace that many of today’s acts would KILL for).

Hilarious, harrowing, suspenseful, and completed by a love story. The last shot of the film is not to be missed. It’s rare in my experience that ninety minutes or so passes so fast. My only complaint is that it’s not in HD.

Oldies:

Woodstock
Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads)
The Last Waltz.

The story of anvil is good. Well worth a watch.

The BBC have done some really good music stuff over the years, for example ‘from the byrds to the eagles’ about the 60’s scene in california. some of it is on youtube i think.

I’m just waiting for someone to make a film of Mottley Crue’s ‘The dirt’. Terrible band, AMAZING book IMHO.

I have seen a couple of good hour long documentaries on Motley Crue. VH1 has done one. I know I have another backed up on hard drive somewhere.

I forgot that when I was in Jr. High I went down to Portland and went to a Rockumentary about X called “PLAY THIS MOVIE LOUD”. At lease I think that is what it was called. Great stuff!

The Stones, Cocksucker Blues. The one done by Martin Scorsese was great, but not as Cocksucker Blues shows them at their heights, or depths, however you look at it.

Great thread!
My latest personal fave is “Lemmy”.

1 Like

HBO has done a Stones Rocku called Crossfire Hurricane. I’m halfway thru it and really enjoying watching Mick take bumps off a switchblade. Music’s pretty good too.

He he…

HBO has done a Stones Rocku called Crossfire Hurricane. I’m halfway thru it and really enjoying watching Mick take bumps off a switchblade. Music’s pretty good too.[/quote]

Friendly person blues? What in the world happened to the actual title?

I have seen some good ones on Bowie. Anyone have a Favorite?

The UB40 rockumentary is a sad movie.

They talk about how the band had all their money stolen and broke up into two different bands using the same UB40 name They are still fighting over in court. Each band has a lead singer who are brothers and still don’t talk to this day.

As a huge Rush fan, Beyond The Lighted Stage from some years ago is awesome. The 2016 documentary of Rush’s final tour called Time Stand Still is also stellar. Definitely sad though. At the time of it’s release fans were just beginning to grapple with the news they had basically retired. Fast forward to Jan 2020 and Neil Peart’s untimely passing, it makes Time Stand Still even more bittersweet.
Both documentaries are top notch however.

Another nod from me for the Lemmy one mentioned a while back.

1 Like

Sgt Pepper’s Musical Revolution with Howard Goodall