What Movies Are You Watching —2018—

I liked venom. It wasn’t fantastic in story line or anything. But it was entertaining.

I wouldn’t mind watching Venom but I’m not really that excited. I didn’t have time this past weekend so I doubt I’ll get the time. I am looking forward to Halloween in a couple of weeks.

Last weekend I took my kids to see Smallfoot. It was cute and all. Had a lot to say about a lot of things though. I don’t really mind, although I did find the songs a bit offensive. There were like 4 songs, they were all pretty mediocre. My 3 year old really enjoyed the Common song, which made me laugh.

Channing Tatum and Zendaya’s voice acting was good, but I found James Corden a little distracting. I’m usually pretty indifferent to him but I didn’t enjoy his performance here. He was fine as Peter Rabbit.

Saw Venom. Thankfully people have prepped me to substantially lower the bar, which meant I did not walk away completely disappointed. Also, amen for MoviePass (hope it lives for a little while longer).

Really liked this one.

Really lame English name.

It was filmed with an iPhone Plus. Hence the name.

That makes it even lamer. Why is it so hard to ask for advice from a native speaker when coming up with English names?

Operation Finale on Netflix. Got a bit Argo there, but pretty good.

A simple favor!!

Probably the most entertaining movie of 2018 I can think of.

I like this idea and decided to do the same. I started off (very) old school with James Whale’s Frankenstein, Tod Browning’s Dracula, and I just finished watching George Waggner’s The Wolf Man (a really beautifully shot b&w movie).

Not sure what’s up tomorrow night. I may be in a b&w rut since Howard Hawks’s The Thing From Another World beckons. Made any progress? Any recommendations?

Nosferatu.

Good one! Maybe a double bill, F.W. Murnau’s version followed by Werner Herzog’s.

was in the mood to rewatch Rosemary’s Baby the other night. always a fun viewing, and 'tis the season.

1 Like

I was referring to Herzog’s…never seen the Murnau version. I also like American Werewolf in London.

Some of the silent horror movies are really creepy. Murnau’s is for sure. Another vampire movie (not silent, but from 1932) called Vampyr by Danish filmmaker CT Dreyer is pretty creepy, too. The plot is pretty bad, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--IBwKXbRQ4

Interesting. Definitely has a German Expressionist feel to it.

Zero progress since I have two small kids that won’t go to sleep when they’re told.

You could finish off the Universal monster movies. At least the main ones: Bride of Frankenstein, Invisible Man, The Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon. A lot of the sequels aren’t as bad as you’d imagine too.

The 1922 Nosferatu is a classic but I find it a little dull. Creepy as F still though. And awesome from a historical point of view. Following it up with the remake is the move.

I don’t think you can go wrong with B&W horror, usually. Thing From Another World, 13 Ghosts, Night of the Hunter, The Haunting, House on Haunted Hill, The Body Snatcher, The Man Who Laughs, Mystery of the Wax Museum, The Picture of Dorian Gray. But even the bad stuff is pretty interesting.

Dementia 13 is an early Francis Ford Coppola movie that’s often overlooked but pretty dope.

Criterion just released a new print of the original Night of the Living Dead that looks amazing. Well worth watching even if you’ve seen it plenty of times (because it’s always looked like ass before).

Psycho is the gold standard. I’d actually recommend Psycho II as well. It doesn’t live up to the original by any stretch but it’s pretty good.

hanna149 mentioned Rosemary’s Baby above. One of my favorite movies period. Always worth multiple viewings. Chilling. The recent movie Get Out is of the same vein with a different twist.

There’s a Dutch film called The Vanishing (Spoorloos in Dutch) that is great. It’s more a thriller than straight up horror but I always think of it when I think of “scary.” Avoid the remake by the same director with Kiefer Sutherland. It’s not overly terrible but you need to see the original first.

Don’t Look Now with Donald Sutherland.

The Italian film Suspiria. I don’t go in for much of that Italian horror, but this one I thought was good.

In the vein of the original Alien, the recent movie Life was pretty good. Sci-fi horror.

Personally, I was looking to go through the big franchises: Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween… They’re so damn bad, I know, but I still get a bit of a kick out of them. At this point I’ll be lucky to get through just the first movies. Perhaps I should switch to the Universal Horror stuff too. They’re shorter and they won’t emotionally scar my kids (as much).

Not much else comes straight to mind (and I had to google a couple of those black and white movies). If nothing else, if you haven’t seen Rosemary’s Baby or Don’t Look Now, I’d suggest giving them a go. Dr_Milker mentioned An American Werewolf in London; that’s also right up there.

2 Likes

Fresh, twisty, and superbly acted by Cho and Messing, The young woman that plays Margot also dynamite.

What did you watch this on?

I’m not allowed to talk about illegal things herein. I’d receive a torrent of abuse.

2 Likes