What Movies Are You Watching —2018—

If we’re including sci-fi horror, I really like the 70s remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I think it is still on at Ambassador Theatre in Chang Chuan road (Taipei).

1 Like

The Innocents (1961) is very good.

1 Like

Stuck with Universal and watched The Mummy (1932). The remastered versions of these old Universal horror movies are gorgeous in HD. Imhotep looks creepy as hell. Boris Karloff was probably the hardest working actor in Hollywood in the early 30s, his makeup must have been a pain in the ass.

Followed by The Thing From Another World and its theremin soundtrack. An arctic backdrop makes for great horror.

Think I might go with some older Hammer Films movies tonight. Beautiful in HD and I get a kick out of watching Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee overact.

Anybody else got more recommendations?

I watched the 1931 Dracula last night. It’s always as good as the first time I saw it. Bela Lugosi is just amazing, and it’s perfectly directed. I love how clear a lot of these movies look. In Dracula’s case, the movie’s over 80 years old and the HD transfer is just spectacular.

This scene is still so creepy:
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1255216/Dracula-I-Never-Drink-Wine.html
“I never drink…wine.” That pause is just perfect. Not a fraction of a second too long or too short.

If you haven’t watched it, try the Spanish version that’s on the blu-ray. It’s about 30 minutes longer and worth every second.

The Fly? Original or Remake, they’re both entertaining in different ways. I prefer the original because I was never really into that body horror stuff that Cronenberg does. Videodrome is good too, though.

Nang Nak is at the top of this and many lists for a reason: it is quite scary. It was the breakthrough in Thai horror movies, and we know they can make pretty scary stuff.

https://www.stuff.tv/my/features/10-asian-horror-films-you-must-watch-weekend/nang-nak-1999

Thai movies are always somehow more viscerally frightening than any other country’s take on scary that I’ve seen.

yeah, it’s beautiful in HD.

I used to think the editing was a bit fucked, too many jump cuts cheapened the movie, made it almost corny. Now I realize those cuts actually propel the story forward like scenes in a bad dream. They were made purposefully and very, very skillfully. Really is a great old movie.

1 Like

swiss army man was quite a trip

Apostle, on Netflix.

Waaay over the top story and overacting by Dan Stevens. Kind of a cross among Wicker Man, Game of Thrones, Raw, and Motel Hell - but that doesn’t quite nail it.

Not for the faint of heart. Wildly entertaining. Pretty good Halloween movie if you like your horror to take place in 1905 in Wales.

I just bought this magical box that you plug into the tv and voila, you can choose any movie of your heart desires for free…newest ones still at local cinemas.

Since I do not have much free time, I have barely scratched the surface of what to see. So far I have just tried to update and catch up with current hits:

Jurassic World 2 : boring, boring, awful nonsense.

Along with the Gods 2: awesome, beautifully written, seamlessly matches the first while changing everything from the ambiance to tone to point of view to the way the underworld works. Luv it. Will watch again and again.

Any Man and Wasp: efforts at being both funny and entertaining failed. Best part is the credits scene.

Transylvania Hotel 3: hilarious, cute, entertaining. Can’t ask for more.

My kids love these movies. They’re pretty funny.

I watched a movie called Trog the other day. It was $0.99 on VUDU. It wasn’t worth $0.99. Trog was Joan Crawford’s last movie… but she obviously didn’t save the best for last. If you like bad movies, Trog’s like the Citizen Kane of bad movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FL6gwchco

Thery agree with me.

How sad it is though, so many cool special effects… so little emotion.

I can’t WAIT for Captain Marvel.

https://youtu.be/Z1BCujX3pw8

2 Likes

What do you think of all the leaks regarding Avengers 4?

And I mean real, false, alleged, attemped, etc.

The only leak on my radar was the set photos. I’ll take a glance if visual candy comes along (eg. Deadpool test vid) but that’s it.

I also don’t super actively search for “leaks” or bother to click on unsubstantiated sources since if I really wanted to I have people involved I could ask.

Ant-Man time travel theory seems interesting.

In other franchise news, I’m slightly peeved by how okay the Fantastic Beasts movies are. I was a huge Potter fan growing up — really wanted to be blown away by the new movies.

https://youtu.be/8bYBOVWLNIs

2 Likes

I was neither impressed or terribly disappointed by the first one. It didn’t offer the same wonder that the original books (and to a lesser extent the movies) did but there were bits and pieces that were interesting. If this new one can step it up a bit, that’d help. I don’t really know how many movies they’re planning to make but weaving it into the original stories a bit more will help.

Without actually spoiling –

• The sequel does “step it up a bit”
  • It does have Albus Dumbledore, and does feature scenes at Hogwarts. Do those count as weaving more into the original stories?
1 Like

Of course! I know Nagini is a character in it too, so I find that interesting.