What Movies Are You Watching —2018—

I’ve been following it for a few years now, though I kinda didn’t in 2014 (because the films that year were just too fucking Oscar-bait) and 2015 (because I was busy). I still caught the show on tv though.

I have seen all the BP contenders and all but two acting nominees (Plummer and Washington). The rest of them don’t really interest me though, except for Paddington 2, which I’ve been dying to see for months but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

They wants Vibranium and getting know where is that origin Vibranium come from, Panther have to protection of it, they follow the panther long while ago, but can not find where is that Vibranium come from. Panther was cool in the movie because that’s really dangerous.
Panther was very cautious that he knows the world was changing with Vibranium and something especially.
The origin Vibranium was from Wakanda dry up.

The editing, too. Lacked impact. It’s not like they couldn’t have done it well; Daredevil has excellent fight choreography. Disappointed.

She should thank you for introducing Forrest Gump to her life. Hands down it’s my favorite movie of all time.

OTOH, unless you’re talking about the rat pack Oceans films (which I doubt)… I don’t get how those are actually “old”… All of the leads from the trilogy: Clooney, Pitt, Damon, are all still active, influential, and relevant…

To her, they are “old” she would have been like 2-3 when the first out.

I can’t get her to watch anything not made post 2010 unless I really beg her like this is good. Just watch 15min and if you don’t like it we can watch another.

I feel ya.

But… :smirk: … That’s the price you pay for robbing graves, kemosabe. (:joy: I kid)

I’m in (almost) the same boat with my sister, she’s hugely biased with black and white movies. She says it makes her feel bad (even with comedies or romance films), whatever that means.

Isn’t that still out in the theaters?

In the States maybe. Here it was on for like 3 weeks in December and that’s it.

And Forrest Gump … is really overrated. The Shawshank Redemption was robbed. Or Heavenly Creatures. Or To Live.

Good heavens, one more unwatchable film: Power Rangers. It starts sort of fine…Then really goes off the rails. I have started it like 3 times…not my cup of tea.

Probably because you’re not a 12-year old male. Surely that’s the target market for a movie called ‘Power Rangers’.

Wait, what? Why? First time, OK … but why #2 and #3?

The old Tomb Raider would be my idea of the target audience of male 12 year olds. The music and cutesy robots aim lower than that. Not to say the plot. Or what stands for it.

1 Like

I think it’s more for 14 year olds and above who have the testosterone kicking in.

I just caught The Others on tv and thought it was splendid. Incredibly well-directed and spooky, and I did not see the ending coming. The score was on point.

It’s also amongst the strongest work I’ve seen from Nicole, plus she looked marvelous in it.

Good (Oscar) Morning! Here are my predictions for tonight (not who should win, but who will):

Best Picture
The Shape of Water

Best Director
The Shape of Water, Guillermo Del Toro

Best Actor
Gary Oldman

Best Actress
Frances McDormand

Best Supporting Actor
Sam Rockwell

Best Supporting Actress
Allison Janney

Best Adapted Screenplay
Call Me By Your Name, James Ivory

Best Original Screenplay
Get Out, Jordan Peele

Best Animated Feature
Coco

Best Cinematography
Blade Runner 2049, Roger Deakins

Best Costume Design
Phantom Thread

Best Film Editing
Dunkirk

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Darkest Hour

Best Original Score
The Shape of Water

Best Original Song
Coco

Best Production Design
The Shape of Water OR Blade Runner 2049

Best Visual Effects
Blade Runner 2049

Best Animated Short
Dear Basketball

1 Like

I watched it from beginning until end in one go. I’m usually glass half full about movies, but this one was just…bad.

Can’t wait for Sicario 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pymm6cmE9uQ

Lol you got pretty much everything right. I thought 3 Billboards was gonna win (since it’s won most of the precursors) both BP and original screenplay.

The rest of the (major) categories were all extremely predictable, though.

That is pretty amazing. I’m surprised they gave Guillermo both the director and picture awards. I thought he’d get one or the other and my money was on Director. Then again, I didn’t have any ideas of who could take the ‘best film’ spot. I love “Three Billboards…” but the smart money there was on the actors.

The entire list:

Best Picture: “The Shape of Water”
Director: Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”
Actor: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
Actress: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Supporting Actress: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Original Screenplay: “Get Out”
Adapted Screenplay: “Call Me by Your Name”
Foreign Language Film: “A Fantastic Woman”
Animated Feature: “Coco”
Visual Effects: “Blade Runner 2049”
Film Editing: “Dunkirk”
Animated Short: “Dear Basketball”
Live Action Short: “The Silent Child”
Documentary Short: “Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405”
Score: “The Shape of Water”
Song: “Remember Me” from “Coco”
Production Design: “The Shape of Water”
Cinematography: “Blade Runner 2049”
Costume Design: “Phantom Thread”
Makeup and Hairstyling: “Darkest Hour”
Documentary Feature: “Icarus”
Sound Editing: “Dunkirk”
Sound Mixing: “Dunkirk”

^He was a lock to win director and TSOW won PGA so it wasn’t really a shocking win by any means.

There is a meme going round in FB of how TSOW is really Splash.

Which would make sense as Del Toro is into 80s stuff. Like Mazinger, which BTW had a movie last year that I did not see in Taiwan. :sob: