What movies are you watching (2022)

I had to watch it twice, tricky but good

1 Like

Cool Hand Luke (1967 or 68?) 8/10
Another “classic” film I’ve been meaning to get around to for years. Fun movie, if a little dated. Paul Newman is terrifically charismatic. Very interesting to see a quite different prison environment than what I’m used to seeing on screen. Doesn’t seem as hellish as Shawshank Redemption (the inmates here are certainly nicer), but the pressures of the system still get to Luke in the end. Some great scenes such as the egg eating contest or Luke escaping. The dialogue sometimes seems a little old timey, but not terribly so. As a prison film it doesn’t match the aforementioned Shawshank Redemption (what does?), but it has quite an emotional third act and is well worth watching for some classic cinema lines too (“What we have here, is a failure to communicate!”)

5 Likes

I first interpreted that as “saw the movie Saw 3 which I hadn’t seen before” and thought “that’ll be an interesting opinion.”

cancel

I particularly appreciate the car wash scene.

1 Like

Black Phone was entertaining enough.

Great French movie.

Angel-A

Director Luc Besson

Angel-A (2005) - IMDb

1 Like

Spell. On Prime.

Pretty good. Old timey gore horror.

That looks cool.

The Sand Pebbles, from 1966, with Steve McQueen.

Liked the historical scenery, small time capsule of China history, some discussion of CKS, lots of Taiwan flags, was hoping to see some of Taiwan scenes but the movie is entirely based in China so hard to catch the Taiwan filming locations, a bit dated and some racist terms. 3 hour movie.

At least one actor I think is still alive and filming movies

James Hong, James Hong - IMDb

1 Like

I really like that movie.

Watched cliffhanger yesterday. Blew my mind that the black guy was also the main actor in Cool Runnings. Leon Robinson. Made the same year. Both great.

Love 80s and 90s movies.

1 Like

It’s a very confusing story about a broody farm hand who shags a teenage girl and then spends the rest of his life being a miserable bastard about it. And everyone is called Catherine or Linton. Simpler times.

1 Like

I remember the low key hype about that movie: in spite of being made by action-drunk Luc Besson, little publicity was made around it except for the poster.

Good music documentary about Thin Lizzy and lead singer Phillip Lynott life.

A couple of my favorites, not top 10, and each unique.

Burn After Reading

Funny movie.

1 Like

If you like action movies, then I would recommend: Mad Max Fury Road.

I find the Coen Brothers very hit and miss, I remember this one being a miss for me

Hit

1 Like

It was a miss for me too.

1 Like

Likewise.

1 Like