What movies are you watching (2022)

Christmas 1944. Soviet soldiers invade Hungary and drag every young woman with German origins away from a small village and transport them to a Soviet labor camp where they are forced to work in the coal mines under inhuman conditions.

Excellent film. Based on true events. 700,000 Hungarians dragged into slave labor by their brutal and inhuman Russkie “neighbors.”

Some things never change . . .

1 Like

Magnolia

Tom Cruise and allstar cast.

Director Paul Thomas Anderson

Great movie. Quite unique and chaotic, multiple story lines but very engaging and intriguing.

2 Likes

Adaptation.

Two Nicolas Cages and one Meryl Streep

Good story almost inspiring especially for authors or aspiring writers.

2 Likes

Give me a short-ass movie.

Barb and Star go to Vista del Mar. Well, that was one of the most unapologetically silly films I have seen for a long time. Absolutely loved it. 10/10 for sheer crazy fun.

1 Like

We watched Umma last night. It was ok, schlocky but OK for American made neo-feminist Korean horror.

1 Like

Finally got to see The Secrets of Dumbledore.

Gee, they really blew it.

1 Like

Forgot the trailer:

1 Like

Just got back from Thor L&T…
Not as good as Ragnarok, but well worth the watch.

Some good classic rock worked in well again too.

1 Like

Inherent Vice

Great movie, fun, good story. The Joker is good on screen.

Joaquin Phoenix and others.

2 Likes

Thomas Pynchon is a trip.

Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness

I feel like the writers are Rick and Morty fans. Also, it seems I shouldn’t have skipped WandaVision. If watching the TV shows becomes a requirement for watching the movies, I am not that invested. Have to say, Rick and Morty do it way better

Overall, these 4th phase Marvel movies are really lacking in the magic that made some if the earlier entries in the franchise so much fun

4 Likes

Quite watchable actually…and I usually hate superhero stuff. The cool premise does most of the heavy lifting though.

1 Like

The only good one so far has been No Way Home.

The rest have ranged from bad (Eternals) to okay/watchable (Dr Strange 2).

The Disney+ shows are surprisingly solid though. Mainly because they don’t follow the tired formulas of the movies.

1 Like

I’m halfway througj this right now and enjoying it more than expected. Not surprised the critics hate it but audiences love it, this one also feels like a computer wrote it after being fed other movies that people like

Also, reminds me of this

I feel the need to point out that range is a play on words here, two meanings

1 Like

The big showdown in Prague is quite a spectacle.

Yeah, but i think my favorite thing about that one was the nostalgia !

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Amazing. It’s about wars but it’s also not about wars at all. For a 1943 movie about British patriotism in the midst of WWII it’s astonishingly timeless, down to earth, and endearing. I was deeply moved. Esp. the “truth” monologue in the beginning of the third act - that’s just beautiful.

Sullivan’s Travels - Another oldie that feels very modern. The fake homelessness aside (which was called out in the film), everything else rings very true today. The black church scene in particular impressed me. Did not expect a 1941 movie to handle black people (and criminals) so respectfully.

The Miracle Worker - All I could think when I was watching it is how exhausted Anne Sullivan must have been as the governess. The whole film was just soooooo raw and disturbing.

2 Likes

The Black Box

Is— the shit!

The tension is maddening!

Wandavision = hated it, then loved it.