What movies are you watching (2024)

The one country that doesn’t give a single fuck about this in Asia is Taiwan, lol.

4 Likes

LINE news just had article on the movie.

The movie characters write Chinese characters on their faces to ward off evil spirits.
It’s now a trend in South Korea to do this, lol.

1 Like

Reminds me of a recent Taiwanese movie based on true story.

Incantation

2 Likes

Hmmm. Storyline and writing on face appear to be slightly appropriated by them up north.

Have any suggestions? I haven’t watched any new ones from Japan just because they are truly unwatchable. I would rather watch crickets fight. The American ones, albeit dumb, are at least watchable. I stopped at vs king, which was predictably cringey. But still trumped the Japanese ones by a LOT haha. It’s like comparing ultra man to power rangers, it’s all shit. But one has ok camera skill and one doesn’t.

Who is Ken Wannabe?

Hahahaha

Have a look at Hsin Godzilla and let me know. :sunglasses:

This one?

Trailers being trailers aside, it does look better than the usual Japanese “style”. Will check it out for sure when we are in the mood for disappointment but really want to be surprised. Probably next weekend haha. I have been so sadly disappointed over the years with quality of godzilla filming, it’s a hard sell to convince the family to also suffer through yet another one lol.

The Lover

5/10

Good movie, but the over abundant sex detracted from a true story good book by Margaurite Duras.

I appreciate the introductions to different movies, but I admit the math of this rating system leaves me confused.

I’m just following IMDB 10 stars rating style.

5 out of 10 stars

It’s not a math equation.

It’s just that to me “5/10” has a clear meaning, and so does “good,” but they’re not the same meaning.

1 Like

Just saw a reaction to the Will Smith movie I Am Legend, very loosely based on the book Last Man On Earth by Richard Matheson. They showed the director’s preferred ending, which I didn’t even realise had been made. It is much closer to the book, and much better. It turns what was a totally Hollywood monster-movie mediocre ending into an interesting science-fiction twist. Apparently the suits got scared that it was ‘too difficult’ for the audience.

Along with the voice-over release for Blade Runner and the battery insert for The Matrix (“the audience won’t understand what a computer chip is”) this represents the trifecta of execs ruining good SF through themselves being too stupid to understand it.

1 Like

Every once in a while, among all those Hallmark and Faith movies, l stumble across a gem on YouTube. This is one of them, made me laugh out loud throughout and tear up at the same time.

Don’t be put off by the thumb. The real title of the film is “Come as you are” and it’s certainly no Hollywood comedy.

1 Like

shin godzilla is really good. Haven’t seen minus one yet but it looks good. Although its still a pity shin didn’t get a sequel, it totally deserved one.

I watched this yesterday. Popular Taiwanese film on netflix.

It had a decent concept but the execution was pretty childish and the plot and characters had zero depth. Basically, low budget, throw a bunch of tropes together and hope for the best. Pure shite that was so bad it annoyed me.

2 Likes

It’s why books still exist.

The old school classic ones are the best!

The more modern 90s ones are cool too. Those new american ones are going for the B movie feel and they are still enjoyable but the CG just doesn’t get the job done imo (feels too videogamey). The men in suits just has the right feel to it.

1 Like

Every once in a while I watch a Statham movie. I always end up feeling really empty.

All the money spent on fighting scenes and special effects. The rest is meh.

Same old story, done thousands of times since Rocky. Special forces guy on a mission of justice, taking on everyone, killing most of them in incredibly unrealistic fashion. No romance, no comedy, no reflection or internal struggle. Just black and white, I good, you bad. Killing people in cruel fashion? No problem. So sad that these movies are so popular.

1 Like

The ultimate one of those is ‘Crank.’ Fun movie, but so empty. Like cinematic cotton candy.

Is the “Hindi Dubbed” still a big part of this? I believe these movies became popular because they travel so well, since language, dialogue, and complex writing aren’t exactly important components. I watched so damn many of them, from all over the world, on bus trips during backpacking days in the late 90s / early 2000s.

But I’m not sure if the film market still works that way.

I didn’t notice any Hindi dubbing while watching it. All in original English.