What movies are you watching in 2020?

sorta like Cape No. 7 ? Where national pride makes the movie go viral.

Better suited for Oscar thread. Never mind.

Cape No 7 was good but not that good. I don’t think even got on Hollyweird’s radar. It was a film that only who’ve been there get it.

Everyone can get Parasite. Cause we all have a economic/class rank

1 Like

Second watch today (necessary). Got it much better than first time. What a masterpiece, this is true art.

1 Like

Inland Empire, which one are we talkin about? Storyline or year?

Jojo Rabbit

1 Like

David Lynch, his last movie (2006).

Wow, Laura Dern was in that one. She’s been around awhile. She just won Oscar.

1 Like

Watch the Harley Quinn movie, wasn’t good. Don’t bother and wait for it to come out on Netflix or on demand. Harley Quinn as a character is ok, but probably not a character that is really for a stand-alone. the other characters in the movie were horrible though.

I didn’t know people had problems with it being a woke movie until after. We just went to the movies and saw it was out and watched it. I don’t think it’s really that in your face, it’s definitely a girl power kind of thing so maybe guys wouldn’t enjoy it. All the good characters are women and find ways to be strong and independent, all the men were bad guys kind of thing. @_Lilith also did not like this kind of movie.

3 Likes

Girl power is great. I’m fully in favor of it. Aliens and Terminator 2 are great examples of “girl power” with take-no-shit female protagonists like Ripley and Sarah Connor that seem like real people. I fully believe they can kick some ass. What I have a problem with is when the film’s story is crafted around an obvious woke agenda, like the recent Charlie’s Angels and Ghostbusters reboots for example. Too much of that happening nowadays for the sake of coming off as faux-progressive, but not actually putting in any work to make the characters seem organic or real. It’s a patronizing and cynical insult to female empowerment if anything. Ugh, sorry for the tangent…

3 Likes

Exactly, I love tomb raider and also one of my favorite trilogies is Kill Bill. I genuinely like those characters and the plot.

I don’t think Harley Quinn is strong enough on her own. There are more interesting female villains imo.

1 Like

I don’t have too much of a problem with her, aside from the fact Suicide Squad sucked, but that’s not so much a “woke” issue as much as the whole movie sucked issue. That said, I don’t have much interest in this film. I enjoyed ‘Wonder Woman’ though and I’ll probably see that 1984 sequel.

Netflix:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

It was okay. A couple of the stories were downright depressing. Others, funny.

2 Likes

It was a little uneven. I enjoyed some vignettes a lot more than others. ‘The Gal Who Got Rattled’ was the best one and also the most tragic imo. ‘Meal Ticket’ was also a good one.

2 Likes

The Five Heartbeats

“Gay fantasia”!? and so much more.

1 Like

Ex machina and Velvet Buzzsaw are nice choices from the list

Must be a good Valentine’s Day movie.

This was actually a shitty take on the play. But it garnered an Oscar for Hudson. Go figure.

Parasite.

Was afraid I would find it overrated, my fear came true.

1 Like