What TV are you watching (2020)?

I also like The Crown.

Brings back a lot of childhood memories. Fun to watch.

YouTube is my TV now!

Re: The Crown: Iā€™m not sure I can handle Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher. Iā€™ve heard in reviews that sheā€™s fantastic, but itā€™s a weird mix of one of the first political ā€œbad guysā€ of my life with one of my first actress-crushes. Itā€™d be as cognitively jarring as, I dunno, fat Johnny Rotten in a MAGA hat or something like that.

Oh wait.

2 Likes

Gillian Anderson is sooooooooo good in everything she plays.

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely. But someone I adore playing someone I pretty much came of age disliking ā€¦ I dunno. Weird for my brain. Itā€™s not quite the same as an actor playing an historical figure for me, because I very much remember Thatcherā€™s time in power.

2 Likes

Wait, what? Really?
I guess, maybe I can see itā€¦

tumblr_o73k2jNSJ51ukes1io1_500

1 Like

Character of an insanely intelligent kick-ass scientist / FBI agent, and gorgeous? Oh yeah, you bet.

(If Beverly Crusher had been written better, sheā€™d probably have taken the place that Scully later took in my heart, but despite its best efforts, ST: TNG didnā€™t do well with its women characters.)

Not sure who that is. I know agent skully. The x files was good. I donā€™t think she was particularly sexy. Just curious, I donā€™t see it

Star trek? Never watched itā€¦ Iā€™m out.

Captain Janeway?

I always found her acting to be quite woodenā€¦

Homeland season 8 is one of the best.

That era of Trek definitely got better with women characters in later series: good stuff with Dax & Kira in DS9, and with Janeway, Seven of Nine, and Belanna in Voyager. But Troi and Crusher were, sadly, often given poor stories and the writers didnā€™t seem to know quite what to do with them beyond the latest alien romance story.

Or if you mean a late-teen crush on Janeway, nah, probably not. Good character, and got better, but thatā€™d be too much like falling for the boss.

I just did a quick check and was surprised that Gates McFadden is six years older than Kate Mulgrew - I guess it was the captain thing, but Crusher always seemed quite a bit younger than Janeway, rather than roughly the same age during their series. Or, to bring things back around, maybe Janewayā€™s early-season hair was subconsciously reminding me of Thatcher.

1 Like

Okay Trekkiesā€¦Just finished catching up with Discovery and am 3 epis in on Enterprise. Never watched DS9 or Voyager and maybe only half a dozen Next Gens.

I am gonna go thru them all over the next few monthsā€¦my question is:

What order should I watch them in?

1 Like

tng, ds9, voyager I think

1 Like

So, continue with Enterprise, then that?

the ā€œcorrectā€ chronological order is something like: enterprise, star trek original series, tng, ds9, voyager, discovery

although Iā€™m not too sure if voyager or ds9 comes first or at about the same time

2 Likes

Well, Discovery predates Kirk and then zooms waaaay past everything

1 Like

I started watching ā€˜Miami Viceā€™ on that HITS channel of old shows. I thought Itā€™d be corny since itā€™s almost 40 years old, but itā€™s actually pretty damn awesome. Early 80s Miami is a pastel trip.

1 Like

Choice 1: Are you a completionist determined to watch them all? In that case, since youā€™ve already started Enterprise, watch that one through, then original series (and then animated series if youā€™ve really gone off the deep end!), then Next Generation, then Deep Space Nine, then Voyager. Oh, then Picard. That follows the order ā€œin universeā€, although some of the continuity will get a bit confusing: they havenā€™t invented the Federation or I think even Starfleet yet for much of Season 1 of the original series, for example; ā€œwe the audienceā€ are supposed to recognize some of the bad guys in Enterprise, when the characters in the show donā€™t have a clue.

Footnote for the hardcore: Voyager and Deep Space Nine take place at the same time, but at opposite ends of the galaxy. On very rare occasions story elements overlap. Iā€™m sure if you look on Reddit you can find ā€œcorrect chonologicalā€ watching orders with those episodes alternating. Same thing for the last season or two of Next Generation and the beginning of Deep Space Nine. But those details are for those who try to rearrange Star Wars films so you can somehow watch Empire without being ā€œspoiledā€ on the identity of Lukeā€™s father.

Iā€™m not sure where Lower Decks fits in. It hasnā€™t shown up legally in Taiwan yet.

I suspect a lot of people would say Enterprise is the weakest of the lot, and therefore perhaps the worst to start with, but heck, if youā€™re already running with it, keep going! Itā€™s the only series Iā€™ve never watched. And, um, DS9 and Next Generation are a tough slog in the first couple of seasons, so ā€¦ good luck. The most common opinion seems to be that TNG and DS9 start weak, and get really good; Voyager starts weak, and gets, um, better; Enterprise starts weak, eventually shows a lot of really interesting promise, and then gets cancelled. Original series starts incredibly strong and then goes batshit insane (insane in the Spockā€™s brain ā€¦) in the third and final season.

Choice 2: If youā€™re testing the waters and want to see if youā€™re going to like the universe or not: go to the beginning of Season 3 of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and just start there. Anything before that can be easily filled in; this was before most TV shows cared about story arcs.

Choice 3: If you want to pick and choose from what connects with Discovery, watch the original seriesā€™ ā€œThe Menagerieā€ (Captain Pike and the telepath planet) and ā€œMirror Mirrorā€ (mirror universe); Iā€™ve heard thereā€™s also a good Enterprise episode thatā€™s an origin story for the Terran Empire of the mirror universe.

(Discovery has done a fantastic job with Pike - I grew up watching the original series, and have seen ā€œThe Menagerieā€ many, many times, but boy it packs a lot more of a wallop now.)

Iā€™m curious to hear how this works for you. I grew up watching the original series, and the 80s-90s was at a time when a season of TV was overstuffed, and had a lot of not-so-good episodes. I have no idea how shows like these are going to hold up for someone watching them the first time now.

3 Likes