What TV are you watching (2020)?

Finally finished ‘Bojack Horseman.’

I love like 80% of that show and get annoyed by the other 20%. The second last episode is a masterpiece though.

Watching. You on Netflix. It’s ok
I really liked manhunter on Netflix as well. I hope they make another season

They are.

1 Like

While I was in Australia I binge-watched the first season of Dark, the German sci-fi horror. Dark as they come but absolutely brilliant. It is slow-burn, and that might put some people off, but it gets the scalpel under the skin most of the characters and pulls you in. I am starting the second season this week.

I watched Lost in Space Season 2 while I was away, too, and also Locke and Key. I enjoyed Lost in Space for what it is. It’s escapist hokum, but escapist hokum with a central family I cared about even if I still find Smith as annoying as hell. Locke and Key I just couldn’t get into mostly because the tone was uneven and I couldn’t warm to any of the characters and, as another poster mentioned, the antagonist was crap.

1 Like

How’s the gore in that? Scary and monsters and whatever are great, but I’m not good with body horror.

Not bad at all. The deaths are really only seen postmortem. Everything else is really only suggested. Dark’s adult themes are certainly not in the realm of gore. I personally find body-gore repulsive and was put off watching movies like Brightburn because I read about some of the body-gore in those movies. Dark is more about the human condition, fear of the unknown, and the nihilism worldview its themes entail. It’s brings with it a feeling of dread. It uses some common sci-fi tropes in brilliant ways. To say any more would be to say too much.

1 Like

Thanks: exactly what I was hoping to hear. Yet another item on the massive watch list!

I’m working my way through the X-Files. My parents kept up with it while it was on the air but I was itty bitty at the time and the opening music made me hide behind furniture or run out of the room.

I think Spooky Mulder is sooo cute. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Ah, one of the pioneers in serialized storytelling, and perhaps the greatest example of why serialized storytelling can be a very bad idea indeed. All those years of theorizing, only to realize years later that, nope, that was by far the weaker part of the show.

So many of their monster-of-the-week episodes are fantastic. Their cockroach-alien-robot episode, where they filmed it so it looked like a cockroach was crawling across your own TV screen at home … I don’t remember ever being so delighted by TV as I was by the silliness and brilliance of that moment.

2 Likes

When I told my mom she said “Ah, prepare to be disappointed.” My parents are never wrong about TV (or most things, I’ve come to find), so I’m sure I will be.

I definitely enjoy the monster-of-the-week episodes the most. They’re hit and miss but when they hit, they really hit. I’m also just really liking the 90s vibe and the chemistry between Mulder and Scully.

1 Like

Narcos: Mexico season two is really violent and brutal. Not something that I could stomach binge-watching. A dose of how shit goes down is seriously eye-opening, though. Not for the faint of heart.
Anybody else watching?

I just rewatched S1 to get ready. Should start it tomorrow

1 Like

Is anyone braving that hot K-drama ‘Crash Landing on You’? It’s completely stupid, but a little addictive, I can’t lie. On Netflix.

Everyone I know is watching it.

People should stop watching soapy mess like that and watch actually great shows like Fleabag.

Interesting

I’ve heard Fleabag is really good. Been meaning to check it out.

Semi-reality. I accidently watched one, have now watched almost all 7 seasons.

2 Likes

Altered Carbon season 2!

2 Likes

Why not?

I only watch about 5 minutes of news a day, and have no TVs in bedrooms, but I can’t imagine not wanting a TV for occasional use or playing video games. I read a lot, but I’m glad to have the option.

I do all my PC tasks on TVs. :slight_smile:

Have you read the books? Should I read them first?

Brightburn was great. I really hope there is a sequel.

Just finished it today. Loved it. It has its faults, but as a piece of slick, moody and action-packed concept sci-fi, it checked all of my boxes. I am not sure that season 2 was better than season 1, but it was certainly as good. I loved some of the new characters, especially Trepp and Carrera and thought Mackie did a more nuanced take on Kovacs, and it was interesting to see Will Yun Lee play a fuller role as original Kovacs.