What TV are you watching (2020)?

Is this just an ongoing story over a couple seasons of a guy trying to solve his murder?

Finished The Stranger on Netflix last night. Based on the novel by Harlan Coben, which was the only reason I watched it.

Iā€™ve only read one of Cobenā€™s novels (Tell No One), and only then because it was on sale for like nt$30 at Amazon a few years ago. The only thing I took away from Tell No One was the authorā€™s name (I think book was about a doctor). I read the darn thing in two or three settings; the narrative velocity was irresistible. Coben is an extremely skilled storyteller. I think heā€™s sold about a zillion books.

Anyway, The Stranger is an odd production. Itā€™s an American story that takes place somewhere in England, with British actors throughout. It can be a little jarring (are there high schools in the UK? Do they have graduation ceremonies like US high schools? Would UK kids attend a school assembly or would it be called something else?). I believe the novelā€™s rights were purchased by a British production company and shot in Manchester, hence the odd mix of elements.

Like the one novel I read a few years ago, most of the tension here comes from certain lies people in close relationships tell among themselves, the secrets they keep as a result, and asymmetric information generated by such interactions.

I kept watching it because itā€™s Coben, the cast is great, the peculiar American/Brit mix of things that happens is interesting, and itā€™s only roughly 400 minutes in 8 episodes.

If you make it through the first five episodes, I challenge you not to binge the last three in one long go.

Even so, the ending isnā€™t great, some of the key characters could use more development (uh, almost all of them), and some soapiness comes to the front too often and to some slight irritation which I couldnā€™t ignore.

Iā€™d say if youā€™re stuck inside with some time to kill, itā€™s worth a binge. 6.5/10

1 Like

The French movie based on the book gets great reviews. Use subtitles.

1 Like

Say no more. Probably the only way I could understand any dialogue at all, I reckon.

They Gotta Have Us

Was pleasently surprised at how well the interviews were conducted and edited together to weave an interesting pov about AA films.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81243942

The show looks great on 4K.

ā€œI am not OK with thisā€ on Netflix. Sort of Stranger Things vibes? But with older high school characters and more creepy/WTF/I donā€™t get whatā€™s going on. Very short episodes and short first season.

ā€œGrace and Frankieā€. I blame my mother for getting me into that show.

1 Like

Iā€™m now late in Season 1 of Counterpart. Really really good show: closest in genre I guess to a Cold War spy thriller, but based on the sci-fi premise that our world divided into two identical copies about thirty years ago, and since then those two worlds have diverged more and more. (Itā€™s set in the present day; divergence was around 1988.) Thereā€™s one tunnel where you can cross between the two worlds, and different agencies are in charge of managing that border and handling exchanges of information. Since this is a spy thriller, once in a while these agencies are also killing people in attempts to save / murder millions more people. JK Simmons (most famous as J. Jonah Jamison in Spiderman perhaps, but heā€™s far better an actor than I ever realized! - oh, er, I see he won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Whiplash, so I guess for many people his range isnā€™t a revelation) plays two versions of himself, something of a soft but happy ā€œnice guyā€ in this world and a hard bitten cynical super agent in the other world, and of course part of the show is figuring out how the same person wound up going down two such radically different paths.

Mild spoiler for one way the two worlds have diverged, revealed around episode 2 or 3:

How ironic that a show I started watching as escapist fare during a plague features one world where 7% of the population was wiped out by a plague.

It was cancelled after two seasons because no one watched it, despite fantastic reviews (100% at Rotten Tomatoes for critics, 90% for audience, FWIW). I suppose thatā€™s what you get when youā€™re on Starz and no one can even find your show, sadly. However, fortunately they had two seasons planned from the start, and apparently the story does wrap up reasonably well.

Available on Amazon Prime in the US and perhaps other territories. Iā€™d refrained from obtaining it by other means because Iā€™d heard rumors itā€™d soon be on a streaming service. Then it did indeed appear on a streaming service, but not in Taiwan, so Iā€™m making use of a copy that, um, fell off a truck onto my hard drive or something.

If anyoneā€™s read and liked China MiĆ©villeā€™s The City and the City, I find the feel of Counterpart very similar; also not far off The Americans, although Iā€™ve yet to get beyond Season 1 in that show.

Narcos: Mexico season 2.

Dry, unremarkable performances and a storyline that makes little sense. An occasional one-liner makes one chuckle but otherwise itā€™s like watching a telenovela.

2 Likes

Brightburn, ugh. I donā€™t think the body gore was nearly as bad as advertised, with the exception of one scene involving a pickup truck and badger (thatā€™s worded on purpose).

The good news (for me) was that itā€™s the only movie Iā€™ve seen on Netflix since Annihilation where I did not check the wiki/Plot summary from time to time because boring. After the first ten minutes I actually dropped everything and watched it straight through until the credits.

The bad news was the credits. Seriously, Gunn had to include a nowhere-else-seen character - a paranoid and raving Michael Rooker - in a credits scene and a photo of Crimson Bolt to tie shit to his stupid superhero universe? Afraid that kinda ruined it for me.

Itā€™s watchable, Iā€™ll give it that. Iā€™m out if thereā€™s a sequel, though. Thanks, but no thanks.

Just binge watched Dark season 1. What a pleasant surprise. The first episode gave supernatural horror vibes but it slowly morphs into something much much better. The closest comparison I can make is Lost when it was actually good.
Netflix original international shows killing it. Dark, Kingdom and Money Heist are all amazing and I am sure there are others I havenā€™t heard of.

1 Like

Yeah not impressed by the first 2 episodes. Definite soap opera feel. Sticking with it though.

1 Like

So we just consumed this like it was gonna disappear if we didnā€™t. Rocketing into my top 10 TV Series of all time, this is gonna get Carol Kane (huge fan since Taxi) an Emmy for Best Supporting. I will also predict that Pacino and Logan Lerman will both be up for Best Actor.

So many amazing scenes, such courageous and imaginative writing in the hands of exceptionally talented actors, and even though I wasnā€™t a fan of how the exposition was handled at first, it kinda grew on me.

I donā€™t wanna spoil too much, but Travisā€™ last line is maybe the best thing about it all. 10 episodes to set up that 1 line, those 5 wordsā€¦they really should try to have Season 2 ready for as an October surprise. Love to see Olā€™ Freddy Drumpf make an appearance.

So, ya, stop watching whatever it is you think you gotta see and binge binge binge this instant classic now.

And yes, it is okay to punch Nazis.

1 Like

Iā€™m on episode 6, I think and as cute as Deigo Luna is, I want to his enemies to prevail. His acting is so dry and boring.
Canā€™t stand the DEA characters.

And surprisingly, El Chapito has nada charisma. Like really? This man changed the entire Mexican drug game.

Production values are poor (the crack dope dealers were just so wrong).

Iā€™ve got this in my watchlist. Will watch after Narcos.

Agree with you on every point there.

On the other hand, Better Call Saul is off to a roaring start.

2 Likes

Never got into it and too bad because the trailers look good.

So, you think Luna is cute huh?:wink:

lol. Sure, why not. He looks a lot like my brother!

Curb is also going to epic levels of silliness. Lots of laughs so far

Ohhh I need receipts on your brother :wink::joy:

Curb I donā€™t think I can watch. HBO right?

1 Like

Amado is cool though.