What TV shows are you watching (2022)

I read reviews. Apparently fans of Halo hated it.

Has there ever been a good video game-based TV show? (the line used to be ā€œthereā€™s never been a good video-game based movieā€, but some say the Sonic movies are brainless funā€¦ :man_shrugging:)

No offense to Halo fans, but I wouldnā€™t even waste my time unless I saw a wave of positive reviews, which itā€™s definitely not getting lolā€¦

For whatever reason, the producers and screen writers never understand why fans liked the game and get the lore and characters right.

I kind of liked The Witcher but I supposed itā€™s actually a book first before the games. But they got Yennifer all wrong. Sheā€™s supposed to be a wise and witty witch around 80-90 years old at the time of the show but her character is like an inexperienced, immature, brat. Not like how she is in the books or game. It just killed that show for me, she is so important to the story and they completely got it wrong :expressionless:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been binging Love Death and Robots. If you like Black Mirror and/or Heavy Metal, youā€™ll probably like it

3 Likes

Tough to get back into after such a long hiatus. I had to stop ep1 about 2 times (mostly due to chores), but chores could have waited if it caught my attention.

1 Like

Jibaro in season 3 is a work of art.

2 Likes

Anyone into Korean shows? Watched squid game and hellbound, all of us are dead, and kingdom. All of them have flaws but have ultimately been enjoyable.

Recently started watching a Korean show called ā€œmy nameā€. It seems pretty interesting so far. I also hear that the silent sea is pretty good, but I havenā€™t started it yet

There was a lot of chatter about Squidgame when it was new

1 Like

Some episodes are great, but there are quite a few mediocre ones.

I was hoping one of you beaches would check out The Lazarus Project so we could compare perspectives. I found the conundrums it raises very thought provoking.

Anyone excited about the Babylon 5 reboot? I wonder if they can still get Walter Koenig back to play Bester.

1 Like

What did you think of Ep. 8?
I never really liked the period sets stories in the other series, but this one had me crying at the end. This series really does do everything better so far.

1 Like

Pachinko on Apple TV.

Silly stupid fun that would have made for a decent but forgettable episode, until an ending that I loved. It was a similar arc for me as the child-sacrifice episode: forty minutes of ā€œEh, this is alrightā€, with a final ten minutes that made it really, really good.

It was delightful to watch the actors obviously having so much fun with The (dramatic voice) ACTING!

Silent Sea, quite average.

Ah too bad

Jumping ahead: oh my goodness I enjoyed Strange New Worlds Ep. 9. Only one episode left in the season - maybe the worst has been a 7/10? Just fantastic consistency with this show. Iā€™m having so much fun watching an episodic show that I enjoy. Itā€™s counter-intuitive to me how that gives us more depth with more characters than a serialized show does.

Spoilers, and if youā€™re enjoying the show and havenā€™t seen the episode yet, DO NOT READ!!!:

OK, so the new red-shirt characters introduced in the first few minutes were a bit obvious, and the first half was perhaps too derivative of Alien(s), but then all the stuff with the crew working together and how much of an ensemble show this is was fantastic. I wish weā€™d had more time with the key character before they died (this would have been better in late Season 2, I figure) - probably my favorite character aside from Pike! - but they gave us stakes, and it totally worked, especially after the redshirts died and I assumed ā€œOK, thatā€™s it for the stakes.ā€ But wow, the interweaving with later canon and Spockā€™s repression of his human side and his sacrifice in Wrath of Khan ā€¦ not that I didnā€™t always enjoy that stuff, but this episode makes that BETTER! Which is high, and sadly rare, praise for a prequel.

Much milder spoiler:

And oh those early shots of the downed ship on the ice planet, as they emerged from their shuttles. This is such beautiful looking Trek. Theyā€™re just showing off now.

Another good one for sure.

I really like the character too, but it was the perfect way to make Uhura stay and it was all foreshadowed perfectly in the earlier episodes.

1 Like

Finished Stranger Things season 4, parts 1 and 2.

Fantastic!

Season 5, the final season, is going to be one hell of a ride!

2 Likes

Part 2 is only 2 episodes, correct?