What TV shows are you watching (2022)

“He who tries to save his life will lose it, but she who loses her life will preserve it.”
— Better Call Saul, Seasons 1-6 / Matthew 16:25

3 Likes

Better call Saul is so under rated! What a great show. I am about to start season 6.

1 Like

Just finished Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix. It’s so good!

Harley Quinn, animated series, not easily available in Taiwan unfortunately. I’ve binged the 13-episode first season in the past two days and it’s delightful. (Home quarantine is another reason I’ve gone through it so quickly.) Basic premise is Harley Quinn strikes out on her own, acquires a crew, and tries to gain the respect of the criminal … um … normally it’d be called an underworld, but the big Legion of Doom headquarters in the middle of the city isn’t exactly hidden.

It’s rated R for language and violence, but not for sexual content. Like in Rick & Morty, the first episode leans a little too heavily into how adult it is (“Eh, do I really want this much gore?”), but after that the adult rating comes out more in fun and creative writing rather than just an excuse to show blood and bones jutting out of broken limbs.

I’ve heard that it’s a more grown-up version of the famous Batman animated series from the 90s, but I’ve never seen that; I’m enjoying it because it’s hilarious and is over-the-top absurd. (In contrast to the recent The Batman, which I watched on the plane back here - that had me laughing a few times about how seriously it was trying to take itself.)

For a while now I’ve been wanting superhero content to return to the colourful silliness of the old Adam West version. Harley Quinn does that, albeit with a different sensibility.

Voice acting fantastic throughout. Funniest are Ron Funches as King Shark and James Adomian as Bane; most famous are Alan Tudyk as Clayface and Joker, Jason Alexander as Sy Borgman (Poison Ivy’s retired-super-spy landlord), and Giancarlo Esposito as Lex Luthor. The leads are Kaley Cuoco as Harley and Lake Bell as Poison Ivy, and they don’t have the chance to be quite as absurd as other characters, but they’re also doing great work.

3 Likes

Gonna go through the X Files again

1.1 was like seeing an old friend again
1.2 oh yeah, Seth Green. So many young actors in these early seasons went on to do good things

Miss those 90s

2 Likes

OMG, literally can’t wait for this!

If I was Jane Goodall, I’d be pretty pissed to be compared to Kim Kardashian :joy:

2 Likes

1.8, total ripoff of John Carpenter’s The Thing!

My younger self wouldn’t have noticed this

Under the Banner of Heaven

TV series based on book by Jon Krakauer.

I heard some people talking about it some pretty bizarre s***.

IMDb: : Under the Banner of Heaven
Under the Banner of Heaven (TV Mini Series 2022) - IMDb

PS: how come this doesn’t show a preview screen and only shows a link now?

1 Like

We canceled NF and got HBO for a bit. Started watching The Sopranos and GOT. Never seen an episode of either. Right now, the Sopranos is way better.

“What, so no fucking ziti?” :laughing:

4 Likes

From the HBO catalog, I reccomend Rome, boardwalk empire, curb your enthusiasm, mare of east town (limited series), band of brothers, deadwood, Generation kill, and The Night Of.

I also enjoyed Barry, silicon valley (this one really gets funny at certain parts), flight of the Conchords but I wouldn’t say they are on the same level

I’d also reccomend Westworld but only the first season. Just pretend it ends at season 1

2 Likes

I wish I could figure out a way to salvage Season 4: I was really enjoying it until the finale.

Plus it’s mildly annoying that, while Season 2 as a whole isn’t that good, the episode “Kiksuya” (the one featuring Akecheta) is perhaps the best of the whole series.

1 Like

Are you including the two seasons from the 2010s and the two movies?

I thought some of the revival was decent… the second season of it was better than the first, at least.

I think i will, the movies fit the overarching story

But really I’m rewatching for classic stand alone episodes, not the Mulder family saga

1 Like

Severance

Freaking masterpiece TV series that I binged watched over the last couple days. It is nothing like you imagine from looking at the advertisements.

Adam Scott is a great actor. And how Ben Stiller comedian can direct something like this is beyond me. 14 Emmy nominations.

I’m tied up in the end of season cliffhanger and can’t wait. I’m going to have to sever myself until next season.

2 Likes

Under the Banner of Heaven

True crime. Based on a book.

I’m three episodes in. It’s interesting enough.

I want to say it’s a detective story revolving around Mormon church history, but it seems more about church history than a detective story.

1 Like

It’s about believers and like believers.

Barf—is that spoiled Chelsea?

Yeah, I was shocked by how horrible she looks…like a meth-addicted horse or something.

You’re being unkind to meth addicted horses.