What TV shows are you watching (2022)

Jon Krauker wrote the book. I read it several years ago. Morbidly fascinating, very disturbing. I will have to check out the TV dramatization.

Yeah, I read that too. Always interested in religion from a sarcastic agnostic pov, they book was well-written, as most Krakauer stuff is ime.

Hey guys, what’s the easiest way in TW to catch john oliver’s last week tonight? With translated captions/subtitles please. Not looking to debate on the merits or criticisms of the show. Just asking for a friend.

1 Like

I’m not sure there is a way. It’s on YouTube, can it autotranslate?

It can, but according to sources the auto-translate is awkward at best

2 Likes

Is there no captioning on HBOMax?

Conversely, many shows (mostly anime) on Netflix have no English subtitles or dubs

I find this hard to believe. No English dubs is believable, but no English subtitles?

Yeah check it out. Many shows with no English subs. If you use a VPN to Japan it’s worse but it’s still annoying in Taiwans Netflix too.

Specifically attack on Titan has no subs except the newest season

1 Like

To be fair, the human-translate would probably be just as bad.

How so?

Subtitles are pretty bad in general, and especially bad for shows with a lot of cultural references.

1 Like

Who doesn’t like John Oliver?
Best news show on TV by far.
Never seen Chinese subs for it though.

I find him extremely annoying, and not very funny.

1 Like

I laugh out loud at least once an episode. That’s good enough for me. Makes me laugh more than Chappelle for sure.

I don’t find him very funny either, but I do think he at least puts some effort into producing/writing the show instead of … all the other late night talk show hosts.

1 Like

Yes, his team does seem to do a lot of research for each show. The one on Taiwan wasn’t bad.

They do fairly respectable journalism, but the jokes are cringe af.

The first couple seaons were pretty good, but I stopped watching and dont miss it.