What TV shows are you watching (2022)

Andor is by far the best Star Wars series. Finally something more mature with real sets and a colour palette that fits the dubious morality. Stoked for the rest of the episodes.

1 Like

Of the three I’ve seen, my least favorite. Obi wan #2, Mandalorian #1

Halo

2022 TV show Season 1 running on Channel 383 ROCK Extreme HD.

Episode 1 is really good. Second time even better

I don’t know if I mentioned this before in a TV thread but The Serpent it’s a good short series.

Taiwanese people from the north and south are up in arms about this show, so naturally I had to watch. Obviously they’re all sorts of butthurt that there’s cliches and even negative (gasp) stereotypes about the north and south. It’s mostly pretty tame, some of it’s even true, and lots of elements are just standard drama stuff but the fallout is hilarious, if not a bit dangerous for the scriptwriters.

1 Like

This one?

台北女子圖鑑

2 Likes

That’s the one; it’s causing an online uproar (what doesn’t these days) and the scriptwriters are being cyber bullied or worse. It’s all so much polite fiction though, it’s not as if some of it isn’t true. Tainanese are freaking out about how Yongkang District is portrayed as a rural backwater, but Yongkang District in Tainan is huge and does have rural areas. Taipeinese OTOH are livid that they’re being portrayed as colder or that the food is more expensive than the south, but last I checked those checked out too. People are getting way out of hand with their regional pride lol

1 Like

The same director also gave the world this timeless classic Betelnut Beauty 20 years ago.

2 Likes

I will never understand why Taiwanese consider horse faces attractive.

By the way is that a man or woman or which pronoun I wonder?

Tainan is backwater everywhere. Yongkang is just a bit more backwater. It’s like the country people tried to come to the city but didn’t quite make it all the way. Or the area kind of just grew up around them.

Just my perspective.

1 Like

I actually love Taipei and Tainan, they’re apples and oranges, but I do like them. That’s why this show’s fallout is hilarious, it’s like both sides are freaking out because some of the stereotypes are true and they’ve worked hard to convince everyone otherwise lol

On one hand I want to watch now because usually art that causes controversy is worth consuming. On the other hand it looks incredibly boring and not at all my cup of tea. is it just another taiwanese soap/telenovela?

1 Like

It is mostly just another Taiwanese soap but there are moments of light cliches and sweeping generalizations in there, that’s why people’s overreaction is so interesting because some of them are a bit outdated, some are true, some are hilarious (the makeup interview scene). I just love watching people get in a tizzy about it lol

Guei Lun Mei is a she but she’s done the short hair thing for ages now. If you’ve been in Taiwan for a minute you might remember her from this classic of the genre:

This show looks so stupid

Women in Taipei 台北女子圖鑑

Watched first episode. Kind of dull but fun to practice listening Chinese exchanges and situations.

Regarding the Tainan/Taipei controversy, seems like common situation anywhere in world when someone moves to new big town especially after leaving university.

They’re not making anyone look stupid based on their location they’re even complimenting Tainan on the food haha

Things that were reinforced from this show

• Moms yell all the time.
  • People yell from other rooms.
  • People whine and complain all the time even to each other.
  • Everyone eats with their mouth open talking.
  • Not unusual for drunks including women to stumble around without trouble
  • Having affairs is common and kept quiet. Just don’t acknowledge it.
  • Office environments suck.

Seems like every Taiwanese soap for the last 20 years. Is there a gay love interest yet? That’s all that’s changed recently I think.

I see Women in Taipei is based on this Japanese TV show Tokyo Girl that had great reviews.

Women in Taipei

Episode 3 already into fucking in car in parking lot, getting an abortion, waking up in hotel room and not know who with, 3rd boyfriend and moving on to 4th.

Sounds like a documentary.

1 Like