What TV shows are you watching (2022)

Watched as much of “Rings of Power” and “House of the Dragon” as has been put out.

Rings is childlike and twee, but has great CGI. SERIOUS big-budget stuff.
Dragon shows how you can save a fortune on lighting by using one candle per scene. And the politicking is getting fucking boring.

1 Like

I’ve done an episode or 2 of both, wasn’t interested enough to keep up. Maybe I’ll binge watch later.

To much other mindless entertainment to pick from.

The rest of season 4 kinda dragged, lots of Scully and Mulder yelling each other’s names, lots of the UFO mythology and deep state stuff

There was one kinda sexy/funny episode with tails (small potatoes, 4.20). Season 5.4 started bring back the humor a bit, too

5.5 is one of my favorite episodes. They go so full camp it is even black and white. A great Halloween monster of the week, with mad scientist, and possibly the most fun closing scene of the series. This Emmy winning episode had a Jerry Springer cameo and was written and directed by show creator Chris Carter

1 Like

On the heels of a serious AI episode (very terminator, with 90s hacking), this one is a treat

Meta, funny, vampire. Written by Vince Gilligan from Breaking Bad and directed by a dude who only did a little X Files but did a lot of impressive TV in his career including 42 episodes of star trek

Luke Wilson has a role. Funny to see Mulder and Scully telling the same story from their own perspectives

2 Likes

Been watching She-Hulk. Don’t get all the hate that show receives. Sure, it’s dumb, but I’ve been finding it more entertaining than all the other Disney + shows aside from Wandavision.

Tried going back and watching the Punisher Netflix series. The first couple of episodes were solid, but then this lame interrogation episode hit and I completely lost interest. I just can’t imagine Frank Castle bothering to play with someone’s emotions like that. It also makes him look really indecisive, which is not a trait that many psychopaths share.

My wife watches On Becoming a God in Central Florida now and then. Kirsten Dunst is great in that show, but damn it’s depressing. I can only watch one episode at a time. We’ve started working “uplines” and “downlines” into our daily conversation.

1 Like

Finally watching Atlanta since learning it’s on Disney. Having a great time with it. Anything with LaKeith Stanfield really.

2 Likes

Having reached episode 6, surely by now Andor has very much proven itself. Star Wars has never been this good.

3 Likes

Not actually watching it yet, but What We Do In the Shadows Season 3 and 4 have recently shown up on Disney+. This makes me happy.

Lots of darkness and tension in #6, glad i stuck with it

1 Like

I confess I don’t get it. I’m enjoying it, but loving it at the level of many critics? Nah. There’s a weird disconnection in my head: I recognize how well they’re doing at efficiently creating characters, at building stakes, at telling stories in a three-episode structure. I’m so happy there aren’t all that many easter eggs. I like how it’s going back to the 1970s roots of Star Wars, but jumping across into the grimy spy genre of the time rather than sci-fi. But it’s just not doing all that much for me.

Plenty of “Oh, that’s well done! But why don’t I particularly care?” moments in my head.

Only seen first 3 of ep 4, but seems a slight dip in form. I think too much focus on the vampire society and too little interaction with normal human society, which was the source of the best moments of the earlier seasons.

1 Like

I’ve heard similar things. I’ve had reactions like that to the third seasons of Star Trek: Lower Decks & Harley Quinn recently (and Rick & Morty a year or two ago): I’m not sure how much quality has dipped, versus how much - to my taste at least - comedies of this ilk may not work after 20 or 30 episodes. I love the initial premises, I love the writing and the characters, but there comes a point when they’re not new or surprising enough anymore. I’m still enjoying them, but they’re not as delightful as they were in the beginning.

Punisher was far weaker than daredevil which I really loved. Actually, I think daredevil was the only really great marvel show (unless you count legion which was really great)

I forgot all about Legion. Yeah, watched the first season (was there a second season?) and enjoyed it a lot.

I still haven’t gone back and tried to watch the other episodes of Punisher. That show really draws things out unnecessarily.

Last episode of She-Hulk last night. Eh… seemed like kind of a cop-out (“How DO we end this thing?”), but short enough not to overstay its welcome.

1 Like

There’s three but I’ve only watched the first one so far. I saw there are all three on Disney plus in Taiwan

Black Bird on Apple TV +

It’s like six shows in one. A lot going on. Guy has a ridiculous 8 pack, so draw your own conclusions.

1 Like

Yep, saw this. Pretty good, but some plot holes. Great acting, especially by the guy playing Larry Hall and of course, the late, great Ray Liotta.

The millennial Identity.

Dahmer

Number one on Netflix true story about a guy that eats people.

Tired of the deluge of Dahmer advertising across all the platforms so I’m going to wait for this other one.

Spoiler: it’s not a real show

1 Like

It was a slow burn, but the last episode paid off pretty well. Good setup for coming seasons.

1 Like