What TV shows are you watching (2022)

I didn’t like the second story. But I’m on #8 now. And overall I’ve like it

That said, i like horror anthology and a lot of the newer ones aren’t great. This one is better than most recent ones I’ve seen. Overall

Yeah. That was rubbish.

1 Like

Apple+TV has a series called Little America. All immigrant stories. Fictionalization but genuine, imo.

1 Like

Have no time to get into new shows since my baby was born, but ‘The Bear’ is on Disney+ and I’m definitely wish-listing it for later. It’s that show about the cook with a drug problem, but it’s got 100% on RT and my friend who is a chef can’t stop raving about it.

4 Likes

Congrats!

The Bear is great. Really enjoyed it.

1 Like

George Carlin’s American Dream

2 part show from HBO.

Amazing life, historical perspectives that are coming true today. He’s like The Beatles of comedy.

2 Likes

Funny I thought the first two episodes were pretty engaging (although I don’t care much for the main character both the actor and the character feel so wooden and unlikable) but I love the parts with the corporate security. I found it really interesting.

But I finished episode 3 and I’m losing some interest. Switching to the new planet with the resistance just hasn’t been very interesting. Struggling to care about them even though I know they just got introduced. For me, this is where the show has first felt boring.

I’ll probably continue watching though. Hopefully it was just a slow episode and things will pick up. This is the first StarWars thing that’s come out in a long time that I’ve actually felt had any depth or quality in terms of writing.

1 Like

Congratulations. :grin: Enjoy.

2 Likes

I think mandalorian was fun but it wasn’t deep or particularly well written. More of a guilty pleasure like watching a marvel movie before endgame

1 Like

The first season i thought was well written

I’ll agree the first season was much better than the second

1 Like

Cabinet of Curiosities

Knowing nothing going in, and after seeing the opening credits, thought it was going to be magical sci-fi mysteries or similar but it’s short horror stories at least up to episode 3.

1 Like

Yup, horror anthology. Like Creepshow, trick’r’treat, etc.

Hello again Forumosa. Liking Andor more and more after ep 10, and I don’t have anyone to talk to about it so… The titular character and Luthen are brilliant (the latter’s speech at the end of the ep down in the depths of Coruscant was off the charts, this after we got to see him and and Saw – Star Wars Ghost Dog – going head to head a couple of eps prior), but shout-out here to Mon Mothma and everything that she is dealing with. The kind of ‘double talk’ that was happening on the couch with Davo Sculdun was really great. Luthen and she are always thinking about sacrifice, so will she have to make the sacrifice Davo is asking for? I’m guessing yes, as painful as that might be. And speaking of painful, Kino Loy at the end there? Man… I love the recent Filoni and Favreau stuff because, well, Star Wars, but this show. Gilroy and Haynes… They are making Star Wars for non-Star Wars fans, too.

1 Like

Now I’m interested.

1 Like

The recent prison arc - episodes 8-10 - is absolutely incredible. Great writing and acting and storytelling. Mandalorian is a fun Saturday morning kid’s TV show done well. Andor is definitely operating at a higher level than that.

Gotta love 40 minutes of TV that includes two of the top ten (and possibly top five) Star Wars speeches ever. I didn’t know Andy Serkis had that live-action acting potential in him. OK, sure, Star Wars isn’t exactly known for good speeches, but after this show it should be.

Another important but perhaps undersung part of this season: #1-3 is one story; #4-6 another; #7 almost an intermission; #8-10 another. It’s a refreshing change from the many streaming shows that take a decent 2-3 hour story and bloat it out to 8 or 9 hours. The way the longer story is being broken down also means a disappointing ending to the season (which is still entirely possible!) won’t negate the other smaller parts of the story that have already been completed.

It’s got to be the best Star Wars content since the original trilogy, right? (Arguably better than that - certainly more mature.) Definitely better than the prequels or Rise of Skywalker. On a par with Rogue One, which has grown significantly in my estimation since I first saw it. I may have enjoyed my first viewing of The Force Awakens more but, well, speaking of a story undone by how it ended …

3 Likes

Serkis has been brilliant as Kino. Of course, it helps that the story and the writing is so fantastic. “Play it how you want, but I’m gonna assume I’m already dead.” Chills. And then the speech…

[quote=“lostinasia, post:638, topic:215350”]
It’s got to be the best Star Wars content since the original trilogy, right?[/quote]
It’s gotta be. For folks like us at least. My 15 year old is into it, and I’m impressed that he picks up on the subtleties of the story, but my 10 year old doesn’t care for it at all, which is fine too. He enjoys the Mandalorian, so we’ll jump back into that when S3 is released.

It’s crazy that Star Wars is still around in its various incarnations and my kids and I can share in the experience together, whether it be Baby Yoda eating spider eggs or workers picking up the tools or production and rebelling against fascist rule.

1 Like

New episode of Andor tonight, I wasn’t expecting much after last week but nice bit of fun action at the end, left me wanting more

So I started Book of Boba Fett. Kinda doing some things around the house, not that invested. Dug the Maori theme with the raiders early on. Episode 3 I started thinking this is a lot more cheesy fun than Andor, and in the hoverbike chase they did the old gag of carrying a large painting across the street and getting it run into. Couldn’t have been more on the nose if it was a plate glass window. Directed by Robert Rodriguez!

1 Like

Mark Wiens international food show incoming, “Food Affair”. I’ve enjoyed his YT videos for a long while, will definitely check it out.