The Winds of War

North and South

Kane and Abel

Shogun

The Thorn Birds

Tai-Pan

Centennial

2 Likes

I believe thatā€™s what theyā€™re doing with the current Shogun.

What Pierce Brosnan did between Remington Steele and becoming Bond! In that odd underrated interregnum when Timothy Dalton had a darker and more brutal version of Bond, and was mostly criticized for it, only for Daniel Craig to be lauded for much the same thing a few decades later.

Loved those Clavell books back in the 80s. Got Shogun as a Kindle deal a year or two ago, but I havenā€™t gone back to it. I only remember watching a handful of those miniseries, but my parents - perhaps especially my mother - watched a lot of them (especially the ones featuring Richard Chamberlain); I only remember Shogun, Noble House, and a World War II one - I donā€™t think it was Winds of War, but more fictional; I think there was an older Jewish man murdered in the concentration camps, and me being shocked that TV would actually do that to a character.

And John Rhys-Davies / Gimli / Sallah was in a bunch of them too.

I wonder how those miniseries look today. TV aesthetics have changed ā€¦ one bit from Chamberlainā€™s Shogun, including commercials and credits.

I have a sneaking suspicion that watching Shogun as a child is at least a little bit responsible for me winding up in Asia.

5 Likes

I was traumatized by having to do simultaneous interpretation for half of those for my mom who did not speak English but loved Richard Chamberlain and Sam Neill.

2 Likes

I watched Shogun and I actually do like it so far. I really like how they used Japanese actors. Seeing Osaka castle was really cool after visiting myself last winter.

1 Like

And Iā€™m OK with the main female lead being from New Zealand. Those eyes.

Expats

4/10

Episode one makes Hong Kong look like a horrifically sad depressing place and people.

I finished Game of Thrones and needed another show to provide background noise while I worked on a book project I landed.

I hate Rick and Morty. My son watched it all the time when he was home from college. Like, I fucking hated it.

But, I canā€™t help myself. Itā€™s hilarious.

3 Likes

The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin

Quite funny and dumb in a good way.

I, Claudius

I wonder if I should watch the TV show or read the book first but the book is probably easier to obtain.

Saw this historian that says most Robert Graves awesome book and by association TV show are mostly fiction.

A fun show so far

2 Likes

The Guy Ritchie film was entertaining if you like his stuff

Black Mirror 6.3

Aarol Paul and Josh Hartnett are great, very dark, probably my favorite episode since the robot dog

Laughing out loud funny.

Totally disagree. Shogun is the best miniseries Iā€™ve seen since Queenā€™s Gambit.

3 Likes

This is on my watchlist. I think the lead, Theo James, shouldā€™ve been the new Bond.

Queens Gambit one of my favorites even though 4 years ago.

Shogun, watched 3 episodes. And Iā€™m like falling off my chair bored done.

Iā€™ve been really impressed with it so far. For that classic ā€œpretending to be high-brow, but really itā€™s a well-done soap operaā€ mix of politics and personal relationships and occasional violence, I dunno, maybe my favorite since early Game of Thrones.

That dinner scene in Episode 5ā€¦ wow. And theyā€™re doing such a good job of developing the non-main characters as well.

The official podcast is worth a listen. Theyā€™ll sometimes go into traditional Japanese aspects of the show, little details you donā€™t need to know to enjoy it (e.g. seating arrangements in the house), but are still cool to learn about.

But Iā€™m probably biased because a big chunk was filmed in my hometown! Like, seriously local, as in my parentsā€™ view looks out at an old mill site where lots of the filming was apparently done. But all behind screens that prevented interesting gossip.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ thereā€™s no accounting for taste. To each their own. :man_shrugging:

Whoops! Iā€™m only on episode 4! :eyes:

Huh? Are you Japanese? Or were parts of it filmed in the west?

Great series. Great performances/actors, direction, pacing, cinematography, practical effects, score, everything, just great. I have seen bits of the early 1980s series and itā€™s pretty good too, but this is definitely the superior version.

1 Like

Tbf, I thought episode 4-5 were the most interesting so far. 5 had been the most intense so far.

1 Like

Finished the miniseries which concluded last week. I ā€¦ donā€™t regret spending my time watching it. It wasnā€™t bad, and had fleeting moments of ā€¦ well, not ā€œbrillianceā€ or even ā€œgreatnessā€, but ā€œpretty goodness.ā€
But it wasnā€™t very good and I wonā€™t rewatch it. Overall, the story lacked coherence (even though itā€™s supposedly based on a true story) because subplots were introduced and then dropped left and right, and pacing was out the window (6 months would go by without any indication about the passage of time). You also followed the two main characters who had a jarring narrative shift from being in a show about bomber pilots to suddenly being POWs playing out a tedious version of ā€œThe Great Escape.ā€ And donā€™t even get me started on the weird Tuskegee airmen episode that came out of nowhere. Like I said some good scenes, especially the aerial combat. Okay, the good scenes were almost exclusively the ones involving aerial combatā€¦ but there was a lot of it, at least in most episodes. Best I can give it is probably 6/10. It was certainly no ā€˜Band of Brothersā€™, thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like