Whatever happened to purse dogs?

So a proper purse dog is not a proper dog, but still a dog.

2 Likes

I often hear big dog supremacists saying things like ā€œThatā€™s not a dogā€ about small/toy breeds, or ā€œYou might as well just get a cat.ā€

ā€¦ bites!

My long hair chihuahua was the shop dog at the bicycle shops I worked at. He single-handedly change the views of several big dog supremacists and even many anti-chihuahua people. He was just a regular happy-go-lucky dog in a smaller package.

5 Likes

Well, the original point was that around 10 years ago it was common to see women carrying dogs in purses. Now they are carried in carrying bags or carriages (pram).

Thereā€™s no such thing as a fish.

I do have some swimming things with fins here.

Chihuahua purse!

chihuahua%20purse%202

The quote refers to the difference between how things are academically classified, the general understanding of the nature of a thing, how things are commonly called, and the differences in opinions on the matter.
Case in point, we live in a real country, butā€¦ I neednā€™t go on.
We recently had a 1000 post thread on who is really a Christian, so I donā€™t expect anyone to agree with anyone else. Iā€™m aware that a purse dog is classified as ā€˜canis domesticusā€™ as are dobermans, but I use the colloquial term ā€œproperā€ which, in context, implies an opinion, though perhaps itā€™s used in other contexts in other places. I donā€™t think large dogs are the only proper dogs, just dogs who have reached their size through normal breeding and evolutionary patterns.

I do maintain that a purse dog is a dog in a purse. I think the Chinese term used back then translated to ā€˜bag dogā€™ so carrying bags might be included, but prams/carriages/strollers are definitely not. Those, in my the opinion of me and me alone, would better be called dogs with owners with suppressed maternal instincts.

Oh :slight_smile: I wasnā€™t arguing the point. I was just following your logic to its natural conclusion for the fun of it! Carry on

Prams are a necessary evil. By law, if you want to take doggie on a train or MRT, he must be in some container, no limbs or head sticking out, which is common in purse dogs. Moreover, a Schnauzer or Shiba Inu is a bit too large for a purse but OK in a pram or luggage like container.

Heck, I have seen huskies in those larger prams on the MRT.

And I mostly use mine to take my unruly elder cats to the vet. They dread it and fight to the finish. So I catch them with a net and dump their derrieres in the pram. Upon arrival, out comes the bag.

1 Like

Technically speaking this kind of dogs are called toy breeds, which IMHO is even worse.

Theyā€™re not so much evil as screaming needy. I mean, itā€™s fine if people need a dog. I had a tugou as my constant companion for many lonely years, but the poor thing died of cancer. And Iā€™d much rather know someone was taking good care of their toy dog than putting their golden retriever in their window cage to bark all day as one of my neighbors then did when they got tired of it. People can do what they want, but the original question was whether the trending of putting them in (specifically) purses continued.

Also, I think toy dogs are the absolute perfect description as they are playthings.

I have seen some owners walking their dogs on the sidewalk / road in the heat. Their paws must have been in agony with the boiling hot surface.
Last week I saw one idiot with their cat on their shoulder. Not the first time I have seen that. The cats never look happy.

Iā€™ve seen men with their pet pasted to the top of their skull!

Just when I was on the verge of losing my faith in humanity, I saw this thread was bumped and was reminded of ā€œpurse dogs.ā€

Now Iā€™m way over the verge. To residents of Area 51 :alien:ā€¦ Earth is ripe for destruction.

1 Like

Did anyone ever see that girl who walks her pet raccoon in Taipei? Saw her in Ximen once and got a bad, blurry photo.

iā€™ve seen someone take a cat hiking before. the cat was sitting on some wooden board.

i like these dogs actually. i just donā€™t like seeing them pampered so much. just seems a bit odd. they are still dogs to me and they should be allowed to do doggy stuff.

1 Like

You must be referring to @Rocketā€™s wife, or perhaps one of his daughters.

3 Likes

No, but I saw some people taking their pet rabbit for a walk. We have rabbits for dinner!