Where can I make friends? aka the find-a-friend thread

Is your wife Taiwanese?
There’s a Facebook group where mixed blood (TW+Foreigners) families exchange information and get together from time to time.

It’s a good way to make friend with ppl of similar background/lifestyle and for kids to play with each other.

1 Like

Thanks so much!!

I just applied to the group… I’ll get my wife to apply as well. This appears to be exactly what we’re looking for.

EDIT: Just joined. Thanks again!

1 Like

Where does everyone go to meet locals? I don’t want to be one of those expats who only hangs out with other expats.

Go to any neighborhood park at about six in the morning. :grin:

1 Like

At work, in bars, at all kind of events. Just talk to people you want to get to know. I met a lot of locals at business chambers events, but really you can meet them anywhere. There’s plenty roaming around.

Others have suggested participating in activities you enjoy, such as sports, as a means to meet like-minded locals.

There are about 4 places on the whole friggin island where there are no locals.
And you’re currently in one of them

1 Like

Sigh…I know you’re right. I’m just not really sure where to get started so I guess I was hoping for a more specific answer. It’s been a couple years since I’ve been on the island and the hotspots tend to switch up so now I don’t really know where to go anymore. I’ve thought about facebook groups too but I don’t really know where to start with that, either. Plus I hate facebook.

god help me I have more than enough olds in my life. Don’t get me wrong, I love them, but I can’t exactly drag them out to the bars on the weekends…

actually my 88-year-old granny is sitting right next to me

I meant the forum, Einstein

1 Like

There are definitely a few locals puttering around on here! Just not very many and the internet is a faceless void

1 Like

Hating Facebook is a good first step, as it forces you into the real world.

As for specific, it really depends on what you’re into. Like going to the gym? Start by talking to the trainers or, if you go at a regular time, to those members you start to recognize after a while. Like drinking? Go for wine or whisky tastings.

2 Likes

I honestly have a hard time making friends with young locals in their 20s. Usually business people 30-50s are open to connecting in friendship and business. And they will speak English and go out their way to meet you. My only local friends not like that are the ones in my unit during conscription in the army.

Yeah I feel like this is kind of an iffy age to try to meet people since everyone’s friend groups are more or less established by this point and nobody’s really itching to meet anyone new because they’re too busy with other things, like getting their careers off the ground and so on. Although I’d be happy to make some older friends as well…

I guess another way is to get connected to “localized” expats, those that have been here for many years and have more local than expat friends (and often use Chinese more than English). They can usually introduce you to locals, though many of us are a little older.

1 Like

Isn’t language exchange a way to make friends?

Yes, certain type of friend.

Here’s one idea @Hanna group classes at the gym. Usually ones with combat sports are good because you need a partner to hold pads and such. Many girls used to become friends after coming to my classes.

How about a local church?
Or locals’ group doing something you enjoy.

Maybe get to know your relatives in Taiwan, they’ll be a wonderful surprise to u. U can also go sign up some courses at the community college where u can befriend locals.

Still, my favorite locals are my neighbors, or from 傳統市場and五金行; they’re whack.

@Hanna

I’m a big believer in doing something you enjoy to meet new friends. No matter if they’re local, expat, ABT, a raccoon or Andrew, it’s just nice to have a friend or two to rely on and have similar hobbies as you.

I also grew up in the states and left soon after graduating uni to spend time with gf and my grandma who’s not so much older than yours. So, I know what it feels like to arrive here and try to find another set of friends.

I never thought it would be an issue since I always hung out with my cousins when I came back for summer, but I soon found out my cousins could only relate to me on certain levels. Don’t get me wrong, we still get along well, but they aren’t the active and going out for beer type, so it was hard to hang out with them outside of family get togethers. However, I wouldn’t be too quite to disregard the help of your cousins to introduce you to a friend.

Feel free to PM me if you run into any troubles finding friends. I’m always down to grab a drink and introduce my friends to new friends.

1 Like