Where can I make friends? aka the find-a-friend thread

Ok let me humor you. Places where I met people in Taipei include: the streets, Starbucks, Carrefour, World Gym, bars, salsa classes, campus (where I wasn’t a student), language exchange events, dating apps, coworking space launch party, meetups, mountains (during solo hikes), bookshops, MRT, restaurant, and I’m probably forgetting some more.

Just make conversation with everyone. Become a chatterbox. Hey those shoes look good on you. Hey is that your lunch, why you having it at 3pm. Hey do you know where’s the nearest Starbucks. Hey that’s a funny graffiti, do you know where else you can see some like that in Taipei. Hey that’s a nice bag, is it good for hiking. Hey do you know a good place to eat in the area. Hey do you know what’s those big billboards with faces and numbers all over town. Hey you guys seem headed for a good time, where are you going tonight. Hey you look lost, you looking for your way.

Good thing with Taipei is, even if you don’t speak Mandarin, if the person looks Taiwanese you can always start with “Excuse me do you speak English” and half the time they’ll say “yes” or “a little.”

5 Likes

How about just be yourself? If you present a fake front, any future interaction will eventually hit a wall. Figure out who you are (not everyone is a “chatterbox”) and be confident about it!

Guy

2 Likes

Being social is not about “being yourself,” it’s a skill. Some people are naturally good at it, some people have to learn it, just like sports.

But then there’s people who are bad at it, refuse to take on the skill, and complain their social life is dead. Pretty much like a couch potatoe with terrible metabolism, complaining that they’re fat, and refusing to hit the gym because that’s not them “being themselves.”

3 Likes

Yeah I get the “skill” part. The key though is to tie this up with who you really are, what you’re really about. If you’re able to do that, the rest will follow.

Guy

Somebody said this to me I’d tell them piss off. :grin:
Practice does make perfect with social interaction though. There’s a fine line between impressing on somebody and harassing them.

1 Like

You do have a point, obviously nobody owes you to reply in a friendly manner. That’s part of human interactions.

That being said, in the years that I’ve been approaching people in various places the worst I got was people finishing the conversation quickly and walking away. Nobody will be rude to you as long as you’re not rude and insisting.

3 Likes

Where did Pianote931 go? A meeting? A date? Rented a Rent-a-Friend?

Hi to all,

I just arrived in Taipei, Taiwan 1+ weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed my time and new life in this beautiful and fine island so far.

I’m hoping to make new friends who would enjoy my friendship, and maybe more if it will organically turn into a romantic relationship, whether you’re expats or locals.

I’m a Canadian who have lived in the USA for a long time, born in Taiwan, bilingual in Mandarin, bi-cultural, a non-smoker, into healthy lifestyle, gym workout, writing, film, nature and good conversations.

I’m gay but you don’t have to be gay to be a friend. Of course, if you’re looking for love, then we need to be on the same page.

I’m pretty easy-going and open-minded, like people who are the same.

Reach out to me and show me the Formosa that you want me to see and know, or simply make memories that last in a Formosan backdrop.

Mike

3 Likes

There’s a growing gay scene in Taiwan. Lots of sports clubs I’ve joined myself to meet friends as well.

Would you mind sharing the names of the clubs, or any clubs you’d recommend? Thank you.

I honestly don’t remember any of the gay clubs, been to a few with some gay friends, but they’re usually not major ones in xinyi. And I honestly couldn’t advise you on what is a good gay club as I’m not gay myself. Check FB groups and ask around, people are friendly here.

Yeah, baseball and basketball courts alongside the river between Taipower Building and Gongguan are always filled with clubs and stuff after work. One of the best things about Taiwan in my opinion. Here in the UK, we just go home, stick the TV on, and complain about the neighbours parking of an evening.

Anyway, best of luck with your search and your exciting new adventure

Will check them out soon. Thanks a lot for sharing ,:slight_smile:

I decided to be friendly earlier. Started chatting to someone. They just went on and on for about 10 minutes. Had to use the ol’ “I gotta get back to werk” trick. This was not in Taiwan though.

In Taiwan it’s ‘Are you from America?!’

“No, England. sorry”

“Oh.” Person walks away :smile:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I seem to run across gay guys almost daily in Taipei area just out and about and seems to be a great market for single gay men seeking friends or dating. Side note, I wish the girls were as friendly as the guys.

1 Like

I’m right here! I’m late but I’m here. Just seeing this message!

4 Likes

In Taiwan almost everyone thinks that foreigners are friends with all other foreigners.

3 Likes

Wow this thread is cringe.

Too true…