Why do I dislike Islam?

My apologies for stirring the pot.

Recognizing the problems caused by Islam and bad immigration policies is not racist and given the circumstance it is healthy. Nevertheless yes it should be a different topic.
Anyhow, the original topic about is Taiwan racist? The consensus was yes. The difference between the racism that you can find in Taiwan and in western countries is that in Taiwan it is state sponsored. Racist people can be found everywhere and Taiwan does not do bad here. Most Taiwanese are nice people and you don´t feel uncomfortable while walking on the street. Taiwanese people rate better than those from Muslim countries, that is for sure. The problem in Taiwan with racism is that it operates at the institutional level and corporate level: media is not neutral, but to exalt nationalist spirits and its people; police corruptedly siding with Taiwaneses is here to protect them, not foreigners; many government policies promote everything that helps Taiwan despite being unfair to people legally living in the island; is not in politician´s agenda to change this widely corrupted behavior because the people don´t care due to probably the danger of their brothers from the mainland; foreigners have limited opportunities when competing with locals, aborigines are also in the bottom of the chain, etc…
I think that it is healthy to share these views, because they are there and although many cannot see them or encounter them they might one day as I did.

3 Likes

Absolute bullshit. I live next door to a very nice Muslim man. He teaches blues dance in the evenings and supports Chelsea football club. The fact he is Muslim is incidental to my relationship with him.

4 Likes

discrimination by nationality is racism?

Remember the JY interpretation regarding prostitution? They said the previous law was tantamount to gender discrimination because most of the people whose behavior was criminalized were women. The narrowest interpretation of “discrimination” would have said there was no sexism because male prostitutes were also affected. If we follow this less narrow line of thinking, then it stands to reason that discrimination by nationality can also be racism.

They can’t integrate well because they can’t even denounce their faith or convert without legal and public backlash in their home country and community. They can’t even change their Muslim names. Even in a “moderate” and multicultural Muslim country like Malaysia, I was eating lunch with a Iranian national here. Has a Muslim name Mohammad xxxxx, tells me he denounced his faith personally. But he can’t do it legally or he can’t go back to his home country again. You can tell he dislikes the faith he was brought up with, and he had to lower his voice and look around talking about this. He says it can be dangerous for him even saying he denounces Islam.

I can’t say I’ve studied Islam to any scholarly extent, but from what I do know and from what I see with my own eyes…I dislike everything about it. I’ve never seen a women in a full niqab until recently, and it’s one thing to see it on TV, another to interact and see it with your own eyes. It’s disgusting.

9 Likes

Well, obviously you know the Bear’s next door neighbor better than he does. :cactus:

2 Likes

It’s a general statement, not directed at the bears neighbor directly. Can you actually try to read and interpret without reading into things I’m not saying for once?

Did I make an untrue statement about Muslims unable to freely denounce their faith and change their name? What other major group of people does this on a large scale?

That was a direct response to the Bear. Own your words, man.

Oh, geez. Do we really need to analyze the laws of every country with a significant Muslim population? Does China (20+ million) count? Does Turkey (79 million) count? Does India (172 million) count? Does Indonesia (225 million) count?

and change their name?

That again?

What other major group of people does this on a large scale?

The mudslinging continues… This has turned into yet another thread about Islam. A week ago it seemed (Roman) Catholicism had the upper – or rather the lower – hand. When will Jainism get a turn? :thinking:

[edit: this post was moved from the “Is Taiwan racist?” thread]

If you really want to keep score, what counts as a major group of people? What percentage need to be complicit for the group as a whole to qualify as “doing this?” Does it need to be codified in publicly accessible written laws, or are customs or tendencies sufficient? Does it only matter when the punishment for betraying the group is death, or do ostracism and other problematic behaviors also matter?

I can’t say I’ve studied Islam to any scholarly extent

Neither can Roseanne, but at least she understands the problem with judging people by their origins.

1 Like

I didn’t say the bears neighbor can’t…can you read my actual word for once? I was making a general statement, vs the bears anecdote.

Why not? And it’s regarding if the countrys government is Islamic not about the population.

What misjudgment? Did I make a untrue statement about how Islamic countries make it extremely hard to not be Muslim?

Are these questions really important? There are definite indicators that what Andrew is talking about tends to be the case in Muslim nations. Should that fact be used as a hammer to bash all Muslim people? No. Should it be totally ignored, never spoken of? No, for what reason?

3 Likes

When Europeans were bathing themselves in feces (I think the Welsh still do this to attract the sheep!:joy:), the Middle East countries, Iberian peninsula, etc. with their Jewish, Arab, Persian, and/or Turk mixed populations were bastions of learning. To be fair, many nations in the region, even today, rank higher in economic freedom than many European nations (see UAE, Malaysia, Israel, Mauritius, Qatar, etc.). https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

In other words, I`d rather live under Sharia than Justin Trudeau. :laughing: (Canada is high in the rankings thanks to Harper, but slipping under Liberal uncompetitiveness)

It’s not only illegal, it’s a death sentence in some countries to publicly renounce Islam.

If anybody doesn’t think Islamic countries aren’t fucked up read what happens to bloggers in Bangladesh.

And just see the absolute sorry fucking state of Pakistan compared to India.

In Indonesia they put the Chinese mayor of Jakarta in jail just for quoting some lines from the Koran.

Do not let these people try to change our laws and our societies.

4 Likes

This is simply Disneyland´s ranking. Hong Kong #1? That would be if you are USD Billionaire, cause living in the most expensive city in the world for most humans means work work work. And you prefer a Sharia imposed place? I guess that you are really a billionaire, because if you go to compete for money there with the muslim brothers you may end up with your head on a spike.

I am sorry that you could not see further down this relationship. Maybe you should have been brave and ask him what he thinks about western culture, gay people, women in bikinis and so on.

It is if focuses on races (aborigines in the island suffer discrimination) although it doesn stop there and focuses too on nationality (anyone not Taiwanese).

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/05/09/jakartas-christian-governor-sentenced-to-prison-in-blasphemy-case/?utm_term=.afe0273d072b

what does “integrate” mean?

I`ve worked in the region in the past— beaucoup greenbacks to be made!!! My problem there were not the locals, but the secular expats.

Contribute to the culture of the native population bringing and adapting it. Problem is, I find nothing attractive about Muslim culture and can’t think of much I want from it. I find it strange I can’t shake a women’s hand, I can’t see a women’s face or parts of her body, acceptance of cruel punishment of homosexuality, etc.

Can anyone tell me one significant thing the Muslim world has contributed to the world in maybe the last two centuries? I can’t, if anything they seem to be a burden on everyone.

1 Like

The opposite to what Muslims do when dealing with other cultures. It would be a sin for them.
One time I met an extremist who it happened I had to live with for a few days. At first he looked like a nice well educated man, but when talking about world issues, history, etc… we end up in deep confrontations due to the aggressive absurd of his approach to reality. Example, he would claim that Spain needed to be retaken by force to bring us enlightment.
Not too long ago I met a moderate Muslim here in Taiwan. He got furious when I told him that if a Muslim terrorist attack was to happen, Mezquitas should be the first place where the police should go to look for the attackers. He also got furious when I told him that Muslims had a responsability to deter and report on those who go the radical way.

1 Like