Why does a certain segment of the white population in Taiwan insist on calling themselves immigrants?

Nazi is the new N-word.

For someone learning English as a second language and whom is taught that ‘nigger’ is a term of endearment, they could get seriously confused or, worse, get beat up if they venture into a wrong neighborhood in many parts of the USA.

For sure they do, but drop the -er and go with -gga. Interestingly enough, young Middle Eastern immigrant men use it too, but mostly in the thefuckdidyousaybro kind of way.

It’s only a term of endearment between black Americans. If anybody else uses it, it’s racist and you can get in a world of trouble, especially at work. That part should be made clear to people who study English as a second language.

3 Likes

Well, yes, context is everything.

That’s why I never teach swearwords to any ESL students.

Cunt can be a term of endearment in England. But you could get knifed if you use it wrong.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have Chinese friends who use the term gweilo when they refer to Caucasians and, believe me, they don’t use it as a term of endearment. Just like 洋鬼子 (foreign devil) or 死老外 isn’t used that way either. Its just funny how context totally changes it.

imagehttps://media.tenor.com/images/95513166b857eeeefb78a5638cdc8ad5/tenor.gif

1 Like

I agree Taiwan is very isolationalist and can do much better to open itself to foreign professionals. However I’m not sure Japan is that much more open. From what I’ve heard, the amount of foreign professionals is similar to Taiwan in that most are teachers and a very tiny percentage are in non-teaching fields.

From the various expat (oops trigger word) sites, it seems Japan has many industries where they hire skilled foreigners that know the language.

I almost wish I were an expat with all the benefits. I’m a permanent resident. If there was a clear path to citizenship, I’d apply. I wonder how many of us can truly be immigrants in Taiwan.

2 Likes

:whistle:

1 Like

Japan is much bigger than Taiwan so that might be true. Taiwan also has several industries like tech and media/editing where they hire foreigners.

Let them learn that stuff by themselves?

I had a girl ask me about “twat.” That was a slightly awkward conversation. But better that than she find out the hard way.

Yes, they certainly appreciate the principle of context. But the double standards about the N-word and whatnot reduce context-sensitivity to absurdity. Certain people in the West need to lighten up. The raging stupidity of the SJWs just ruins everything for everybody.

1 Like

How did the word “twat” come up in conversation?

She didn’t offer details, and I didn’t press for them.

I just made it clear that if anyone called her that she should slap him.

She just met you and said “What’s a twat?”?

Yes. They’re so innocent.

Or perhaps knowing.

3 Likes

I think R. misheard. She actually said “what a twat”. :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe she had just finished wading through all the politics threads on forumosa. :smirk: