Why not become a Taiwanese citizen?

it was 5 years that your nationality could be revoked in the previous version, though they added a sentence that it is permanent for a fraudulent marriage or adoption.

1 Like

It’s got your TARC number if I recall correctly, right?

@Brianjones assist, please.

I can’t locate my tarc, there’s a nine digit passport number beginning with the number 5 (I still have the cancelled passport).

1 Like

Right. I get that. You become a Chinese national and then you need to apply. But I was under the impression that the clock to cancel your citizenship started after receiving household registration. If something like that takes up to five years, you’re essentially stateless for that period of time. NWOHR is useless. You can’t go home but you can’t stay here. I knew a person who was like that. It sucked. Everything was essentially illegal for her.

I understand everything about overseas Chinese getting a TARC and whatnot… But I didn’t think it could have been that long. I just figured, get Chinese nationality and then soon after get HHR

Does she have a ROC nationality? A naturalized national should be able to get a TARC to stay in Taiwan, and NWOHR with no other nationality has work right.

is it harder to request your country to make it easier to resume original citizenship than to request taiwan to allow dual citizenship?

1 Like

no, nwohr passports don’t have the TARC number, only a passport number.

I thought it’s just one year, of continuous residence, up to five years if you are spending little time in Taiwan. And you don’t have to renounce till the end of the time anyway. Don’t think there are extended stateless periods?

Thanks! But, you do confirm that the TARC based passport in fact does have a number and is not simply a numberless passport, right?

there is no ‘tarc based passport’. there’s only nwhr and nwohr passports. if you are a nwohr, which you are if you went through the naturalization process (or if you qualify cuz your parents were nwhr when you were born, so this is most ABTs), then you can get the nwhor passport. like the nwhr passport, it has a passport number, but unlike the nwhr passport, it doesn’t have ‘national ID number’. so that’s the difference between the two.

TARC is a separate thing that nwohrs can get - it’s basically a green card of sorts. once you have the TARC, your clock starts on when you can get household registration, and become a nwhr (a full citizen).

fun fact - the process for ABTs and other overseas taiwanese is first getting the nwohr passport, entering taiwan with it, and then lastly getting the TARC.

2 Likes

Great info and update!

It would be impossible to request western countries to allow easier resumption of citizenship as they consider you a moron if you renounce in the first place. They figure you deserve what you get for renouncing. And to be honest I agree, why should someone who unequivocally said they dont want to be a citizen be allowed to just get it back again.

Not to mention that defeats the whole ‘spirit of the law’ , the fact that Taiwan wants you to not have two citizenships in the first place if you want theirs

you should renounce within one year. If you need more than one year to get citizenship and cannot resume your original citizenship, there are citizenshipless periods.

1 Like

the degree of hassle you need to resume your original citizenship is not the same for all western countries.

By the way, I thought western nationality laws are more gender equal than taiwanese one, but it was not until very recent or is still not. Ex. To resume your citizenship, UK requirs some condition to you, your father, your spouse, or your father in law. mother is not included.

Correct, which results in locally based non ethnic Chinese immigrants having to use , what I best describe as a 'cobbled together refugee Chinese immigration protocol from the 1950s ’ to become a local citizen. That’s what it feels like, that you are some kind of refugee of something !

You become a national and it’s a piece of paper and they give you the ARC like TARC card. Then you hang around with that and the NWOHR passport for one to five years and eventually they give you the ID and the full passport . If you manage to get the ID some local HHR offices might take your photo for promoting see so friendly to foreign immigrants…Blah blah.

Otherwise there’s no ceremony , test to pass or vow to give on becoming a new citizen (they just did the public photoshoot for the big face special new citizens ) . It’s just a load of painful paperwork , hoops to jump though and waiting around for years. The whole process really sucks and there has been zero thought put into it.

3 Likes

1)If im holding taiwan passport(NWHR)using it to enter taiwan is it easy to apply immediately for TARC?
2)how long can i get a taiwan national id.after using a TARC?

you mean NWOHR passport. And I linked an instruction how to get TARC below. It lists the circumstances where you can get TARC. If you fall within one of the circumstances and prepare all the required documents, usually it is straightforward. You may find some threads in this forum on not so straightforward cases too.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/141954/

the minimum is one year.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/141950/

If you were born in Taiwan with taiwanese mother and foreign father between 1980 Feb. 10 and 2000 Feb. 9, you may get taiwan national ID directly without getting TARC and wait for one or more years.

If you hold Canadian or US citizenship, I would not recommend renouncing that, no matter what you could gain in Taiwan.

For Taiwanese to even enter the US or Canada, you need to apply for what is a visa in all but name (Esta in US and ETA in Canada). There’s little chance of being denied entry if you’re an upstanding citizen, but you could be. The US also dictates what Canada is supposed to do with regards to customs and boarder control, so if the US decides to do something stupid, Canada will follow (the aforementioned visa being one of them).
Assuming you renounce your Canadian citizenship and don’t get it back, you could be subject to all sorts of nonsense. They will know you renounced your citizenship, and they could, should politics continue to heat up in North America, question you and deny you entry.

Assuming Taiwan maintains its “independence”, do you want to risk CBP accusing you of renouncing your citizenship to become a Chinese spy or some other nonsense? Hardly worth it.

I’m terrible with languages. Shamefully, I’d never learn well enough to become a citizen.

It doesn’t take much to not be an “upstanding citizen” in North America.

If you are politically controversial, especially in ways the government there disagree with, you’re no longer an upstanding citizen and could be denied entry over nothing (the reason of which they’d never tell you).

Or they just think you’re an immigration risk (having prior citizenship definitely qualifies) and you’re denied entry too.

In the US renouncing citizenship almost makes you an untermensch. In their mind “why would anyone renounce citizenship for such a great nation like the USA? We should make his or her life as hard as possible because maybe he/she’s a spy”. You renounce citizenship, and possess a single spent ammunition while visiting the USA, instant felony!

2 Likes