With Hong Kong down, is Taiwan Asia's new media hub?

Taiwan just pulled licensing for a television station due to what appears to be a largely political reason.

I think Taiwan would be in the top three places to consider but a decade ago, Seoul and Taipei were, essentially, on the same level of development until the Korean gov’t decided to do something. A lot of that comes from chaebol influence but that is part of the game.

Chinese being a more important language and the fact that few Chinese-speaking countries have a free press would be good arguments for Taiwan.

1 Like

What are those 18 press bureaux?

I’d be interested when relevant ones like BBC, Reuters etc. actually moved to Taiwan. Actually I might even quit my current job if they are hiring here, lol.

I’m not an expert on the media but BBC does have a reporter stationed in Taiwan.

(Weird way to know).

1 Like

Cindy Sui!

She and her partner Ralph Jennings have been reporting on Taiwan for as long as I can remember…

File this under the same old, same old category. : D

Guy

2 Likes

That’s Ralph Jennings’s wife???

Those two can fuck right off

That Taiwan News reporter is way worse than Cindy Sui…

2 Likes

Taiwan News in general isn’t high quality.

The News Lens is the best English paper.

Newslens is better in Chinese

Taiwan News is fucking shit. It’s Epoch times level shit. Anytime I see it’s shit logo I feel a bit of revulsion. Honestly there should be a ban sharing that garbage

Commonwealth has best opinion. Nikkei Asia generally has excellent reporting on Taiwan and Asia

Nikkei Asia economic articles are horseshit, pure unadulterated horseshit.

Why ? That’s not true. It’s generally excellent. @Whatevah what don’t you like about it

Nikkei also own the FT and is similar quality, they move journalists and resources between both publications

This is it’s Taiwan reporting https://asia.nikkei.com/Location/East-Asia/Taiwan

1 Like

Yeah, Nikkei is usually very good. What don’t you like about it?

1 Like

I like Nikkei but not enough to pay for it.

Commonwealth is good for in-depth stories.

BBC reporting is shit…Repeating the BS that Taiwan is just a result of a civil war…

How you can make up this shit that it’s history just began in 1949.

BBC News - China warns Taiwan independence ‘means war’ as US pledges support

1 Like

Agreed. BBC discussing Taiwan is utter rubbish. I guess it’s hard for those guys to see what life is like at the receiving end of the colonial footprint.

Guy

HK is finished.

Reporting from BBC Shanghai. Enough said.