Would you take the Covid vaccine?

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Most of the points raised in that article arenā€™t ridiculous, even if itā€™s a bit shrill; Iā€™m pretty sure Geert van den Bossche isnā€™t ā€˜the worldā€™s leading vaccinologistā€™, and some of those objections are actually wrong, as pointed out in the comments. Nevertheless, about 15 of those 18 issues are valid concerns that havenā€™t been addressed either by the politicans or the scientists.

Iā€™m currently reading a book by a young doctor who makes similar appraisals of the magic-bullet vaccines and concludes that, with the possible exception of the Moderna vaccine, the science is shite and he wouldnā€™t want to risk either himself or his family participating in this silly experiment.

Of course you can dismiss him as an anti-vaxxer if you like (he tries to make the point that he is, broadly, very much in favour of vaccines) but he probably knows a great deal more about vaccine technology than most of the overconfident folk in this thread.

Iā€™ll post a review of the book at some point.

I notice that you are keen to comply with the vaccine mandate not primarily because you think itā€™s useful and safe, but because you know that TPTB will fuck you up if you donā€™t do as youā€™re told.

1 Like

All the naysayers make me think maybe I wonā€™t go for the second dose

Thereā€™s a lot of subjective judgements in there about corporations blah blah.

Also thereā€™s some parts that are misleading verging on plain wrong ie. reducing transmissibility.

Only a few points are valid such as that they launched without comprehensive trial data and there were data gaps, fortunately those gaps have been filled in very rapidly.
Not ideal, but thatā€™s what happens when you have a pandemic.

Proof is in the pudding, side effects are very rare and death rates are dropping super fast in countries with high coverage. Iā€™ve not heard of one single death from coronavirus of somebody that was vaccinated within the right window period in advance with the approved vaccines.

Every time they want to point to somebody ā€˜with credentials in the fieldā€™ they wheel out their Gert guyā€¦him against the world is it. My mate who is also reading too much conspiracy stuff mentioned him. He wouldnā€™t be able to mention one single scientist beyond Fauciā€¦but somehow could mention Gert.
Heā€™s some kind of fringe doomer guy. It shows that there really arenā€™t any major concerns amongst people in the vaccine field.

2 Likes

Earlier Brian had posted some data from the UK indicating how effective the Pfizer vaccine was after one dose, and then after two doses. Especially for elderly folks, the conclusion was that the second dose really matters!

Guy

3 Likes

Yep thereā€™s a LOT of research on these vaccines now. Huge amounts of safety and effectiveness data has come in already.

Did you post the book in the book thread?

Just posted in the open thread.

Which airlines are allowing vaccine passports now?
I think somewhat limited in terms of airline and destination, no?
Also, what is the ā€˜expirationā€™ on the vaccine.
If you take it too early and then airline/government says you need one within ā€œlast 3 monthsā€, then have to find another again, no?
All kinds of variables until airline associations and governments finalize something, which I find it unlikely in near term. Just :2cents:

3 Likes

Who predicted the same
Would happen with the JJ as happened with AZ
Well they appear to be right

I heard Taiwan has a bunch of AZ vaccines that no doctors wanted to take, and that they would offer it to everyone for a fee. Though some politicians are saying no countries are charging for vaccines so why is Taiwan charging for itā€¦

1 Like

Great point. But somebody will try to charge foreigners for it. Justā€¦cos.

1 Like

I am one of the ā€œluckyā€ ones that have gotten the J&J vaccineā€¦ The only discomfort I have noticed so far is a minor injection site pain, which has been going on for 5 days.

why ā€œluckyā€? Because itā€™s 1-shot and Not DNA-altering?

Noticing the quotes? While I feel fortunate to have access to COVID vaccines at all, I probably should have waited for the Pfizer vaccineā€¦ I do like that itā€™s 1-shot, but feel like a guinea pig, as less than 5 million in the US had received it at the time I got it, and then all the negative publicity sinceā€¦ Given that itā€™s less effective than the mRNA vaccines, and the news that J&J does not fully prevent people from hospitalization due to COVID, contrary to the claim, I do feel a little buyerā€™s remorse.

1 Like

Please tell me you donā€™t actually believe that? :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Just stimulating the conversation further.
The more people know about vaccines, the better.
The mayo clinic has a decent short piece on the differences among the vaccines.

and this lady does a decent write-up of the main vaccines:

Donā€™t spread bullshit . It doesnā€™t alter your DNA. Itā€™s misleading.

3 Likes

Indeed in the trial no hospitalisations were reported and no deaths.
This guy may have caught covid just before his antibodies kicked in, I donā€™t know. Or hospitalisation may occur but very rare.

I thought it was clear he was joking.

He wasnā€™t?