Would you take the Covid vaccine?

Unlikely but you also have a couple of per cent chance of long covid and potentially dealing with positive covid status (a lot of mafan!!!). Well it may not prevent infection of course .

A vaccine that practically eliminates covid complications and probably prevents transmission onwards is a pretty good option to me.

1 Like

Wtf are you talking about. They all have gone through rigourous testing.

Oh God :joy: you are one of those who believed Trump that it would be gone by easter, arenā€™t you?

My apologies, the PC term is vaccine hesitant :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am. I want the vaccine so I donā€™t get the virus and possibly spread it to others, especially my family

3 Likes

LOL.

Just because some tests have been done does not mean that the vaccines have been shown to be either effective or safe. As someone else mentioned, these things are only fully understood when theyā€™ve been in use for many years.

Unless you have a science background and some practical experience in the technology sector, you may not appreciate how bloody difficult it is to ensure that some novel (or even halfway novel) technique is safe. Apart from anything else, you have to first decide on your definitions of ā€œsafeā€ and ā€œeffectiveā€.

uh ā€¦ no. Iā€™m one of those people who believe it wonā€™t be ā€œgoneā€ for many years, if ever.

Iā€™m saying that because I am reasonably fit, reasonably young, and donā€™t have any metabolic diseases, Iā€™m in that group of people who have a one-in-1000 chance of developing anything more serious than a fever and a cough.

2 Likes

I do. If it wasnā€™t safe, it would be released. Everyone in the world wanted to be the first, but no one wants to deal with an unforseen issue after itā€™s been delivered.
Look at Russia, no way Iā€™d take that one. I wonā€™t touch a Chinese vaccine either. But I have confidence in the 3 main ones, looking at how their final trials go

Take your own advice and apply it to this. Weā€™re starting to see it attacks other areas of the body including the brain. I wouldnā€™t be so cocky.

Why will Big-pharma face no liabilities should anything go wrong with the fastest ever vaccine rollout to hit the market?
Why shouldnā€™t all industry be given the same privileges when something goes wrong?

Seriously, you have no idea how this works. Harmful tech gets released all the time, either because people didnā€™t cover the harmful scenario in the test programme or because they just donā€™t care. Itā€™s usually the first one. Humans are fallible; it doesnā€™t matter how much you trust them.

Iā€™ll take my chances, thanks. Iā€™m not an anti-vaxxer. However I do know enough about life sciences, and the use of technology generally, to mistrust bleeding-edge inventions. All medical interventions involve some sort of tradeoff, and I think humanity is barking up the wrong tree with this one.

2 Likes

What on earth is that incorrectly capitalized, badly-hyphenated atrocity?

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry, theyā€™ll have a vaccine for that sort of thing soon.

1 Like

Quick - edit out the unnecessary hyphen after the adverb ending -ly while you still have time. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Too late now. You quoted me, m*&^%$^&!

3 Likes

Thanks for the assumption. Please post a copy of your PhD

Sure, but donā€™t you think this time they put a little more effort to make sure. Pretty much everyone in the world will be taking this.

Again, take your own advice. Youā€™re overly cautious about the vaccine but dead set youā€™re right about the symptoms you might get.

:roll_eyes: whatever you sayā€¦

Agreed

This seems to be based on opinion, not science.

I hope you use that science background to weigh the options more carefully. Weā€™re just now learning about the long term impacts of the virus. We need the majority of people to be vaccinated for it to work

You show me yours and Iā€™ll show you mine.

No. Not least because theyā€™re being indemnified by world governments. Iā€™m sure nobody wants bad stuff to happen. Itā€™s unlikely that bad stuff will happen. But I still donā€™t see any obvious need to try it and see.

And as I observed, I will no doubt be forced to, at regular intervals, at my own expense. Thatā€™s the world we live in today. Iā€™m just glad I wonā€™t be around for many more years to see what humanity dreams up for the next round of stupid shit.

Iā€™ve had several vaccinations and would have no objection to getting more for dangerous diseases.

Yes, itā€™s opinion. But I get pretty irritated by the idea that science sets out all the answers for us. It does not. Opinions and judgement calls are still the only thing weā€™ve got when it comes to policy decisions. Science merely gives us some facts, and some ways of finding out facts that we donā€™t yet know. That might sound incredibly useful, but in practice it doesnā€™t make hard decisions a whole lot simpler.

This isnā€™t true.

This is a dynamic process with an inherently unpredictable trajectory. We can take a few guesses at possible future scenarios, but vaccinating everyone will not guarantee that it will all just go away. As someone else mentioned, it could potentially introduce selection pressures that drive the survival of a more dangerous mutation.

2 Likes

To achieve herd immunity and ā€˜controlā€™ the virus with regular annual mass vaccinations as the virus mutates each year?

Why not just vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable? Far more targeted and would save a fortune. Whatā€™s the point of vaccinating people the vast majority of whom will experience few if any symptoms? I donā€™t get the arguments supporting herd immunity via universal vaccination which were exactly the same as those dismissed when people suggested naturally acquired herd immunity earlier in the year.

What is it with the blind love for lockdowns and vaccines? We donā€™t vaccinate everybody on the planet every year for Influenza A. People at risk are advised to get vaccinated and take their chances if they choose not to.

3 Likes

We still donā€™t know if that will be necessary.

I take advice from public health officials. They were right and we saw the huge failures in places that attempted herd immunity. Itā€™s not blind loveā€¦ Facts and evidence.

Because this virus has a lot of asymptomatic people. Thatā€™s why itā€™s been able to spread so easily.

There was a study in China [Post-lockdown SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid screening in nearly ten million residents of Wuhan, China | Nature Communications] that showed there were no infections spread by asymptomatic people.

1 Like

This anti-vaxxer term is being bandied about now all over the media. It will be aligned with the R word, terrorism, etcā€¦ In the UK the 77th Brigade or a ā€œinformation warfareā€ unit (as reported at the weekend) will be scouring the web to tell the serfs that the C19 vaccine is the bees knees and those that question it are Satan
Nothing to do with the medical political complex and their tried and tested vaccines of courseā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not making myself understood.

If elderly and high-risk people are vaccinated, why bother vaccinating everyone else? What is the goal?

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to figure out how much of the scaremongering on the theme of ā€œitā€™s not just the elderly, there are lots of lingering effectsā€ is really true, and/or if there are other factors involved. One of the frustrating things about the whole crisis is trying to sort out the bullshit from verified facts. I wonder how this would have panned out in pre-internet days?

Anyway, although Iā€™m being flippant about the money aspect, the simple fact is that the pharma companies cannot possibly recoup their investment if they vaccinate only the at-risk individuals (what, 5-10% of the population?). So they have to bull up the story that everyone can benefit.

2 Likes

I think the vaccine roll-out is generally a good thing, mainly because it will help put an end to the incredibly harmful lockdowns and air travel bans. I donā€™t want to be a guinea pig though, so I wonā€™t be trying to get a place at the front of the line.

2 Likes