Would you take the Covid vaccine?

I’m assuming that Taiwan will say that you can’t enter the country if you haven’t been vaccinated, so I will take it for that reason.

However, I don’t think it’s irrational or stupid to say you want to wait a year or so before taking it and I’m not looking forward to seeing the self-righteous shaming of those who want to do just that. No vaccine in history has ever been rushed out this quickly. The last time anything close to this happened was the Swine Flu vaccine in which one out every 1500 people who took it developed narcolepsy. This is a very small number, but people shouldn’t be shamed for being concerned about things like that.

1 Like

Because everyone else won’t get the virus if they get the vaccine. You’re pushing for herd immunity because you’re assuming the risk is low for healthy people. The science is still coming out and I’ve read the virus is attacking other parts of the body including the brain. There are serious long term effects that are still unknown. These would be avoided if the vaccine was administered

Same. I’ll get it. But I’m not going first. Plus I don’t think the UK plans to vaccinate people like me that are you g and healthy. That’s not the plan for them.

1 Like

I’m sure because of your science background you know that this vaccine is different from earlier ones. The first two are anyway. It’s rna based.

Here’s a link for others

The vaccine side effects are going to be less than getting covid-19. Can we at least agree on that?

1 Like

That’s probably safe to conclude. I’m not against the vaccine, I just prefer not to go first. I don’t think I would be able to get it first anyways, the UKs plan seems to be to give to high risk people first. It might be available for people to get on their own later.

1 Like

I don’t know. With respect to Moderna’s vaccine, when I saw Phase I trial results in the Lancet (link no longer available) it said the following:
“Nine participants (two [6%] in the low dose group, two [6%] in the middle dose group, and five [14%] in the high dose group) had an episode of severe fever (grade 3) with axillary temperature GREATER than 38·5°C.”
In the supplementary results, it summarized that the grade 3 fever occurred on the same day or 1 day after vaccination and lasted 24-48h. 2 people from high dose group took antipyretic medicine and others did not take medicine.

Another section of the paper stated:
“Between 42% and 56% of the participants reported a fever. Between 6 and 17% reported a Grade 3 fever.”

Google grade 3 fever… it’s high… higher than 104 F for less than 24 hours.

Hopefully the side-effects were reduced in subsequent trials!

1 Like

You won’t be a guinea pig though .

There are already tens of thousands of people.that would have received it before you and have been closely followed to check for adverse reactions.

2 Likes

Having a raised temperature is a common side effect of many vaccines. It’s related to how our immune system works. When kids get vaccinated they will often experience a raised temperature afterwards.

1 Like

I think the point is that the Lancet vaccine was no bed of roses for many of its test subjects.

Indeed, if the virus itself is rarely symptomatic yet the vaccine produces high fever in anything approaching 50% of those taking it, then it may not be accurate to say the side effects of the vaccine are “going to be less than getting covid-19.”

Granted it’s a big assumption - that the actual vaccine produces grade 3 fever in 50% of those taking it - one that may not be warranted.

Where are you getting these numbers from ?
Are you just…Making shit up as you go along ? :sunglasses:

(You can even find the correct numbers a few posts above for one of the vaccines )

3 Likes

Having a raised temperature is a common side effect of many vaccines. It’s related to how our immune system works. When kids get vaccinated they will often experience a raised temperature afterwards.

Of course, but not greater than 104 degrees. That’s a pretty serious fever, especially in an older person.

But again, hopefully there was some fix to reduce the severity of this side effect in subsequent trials.

1 Like

From the post above.

Why are you making shit up and exaggerating though ?

Between 42% and 56% of the participants reported a fever. Between 6 and 17% reported a Grade 3 fever

2 Likes

Not doing that, but I did mischaracterize the frequency of grade 3 fevers in the study. It’s not 50%. Honest mistake born of not rereading it.

The question is, does the risk if high fever exist (you’ve said it’s a common side-effect of vaccines; I agree), and if so at what frequency when the vaccine is released to the public?

Compare to the measles shot.

> Fever Medicine:

• Fever with most vaccines begins within 12 hours and lasts 2 to 3 days. This is normal, harmless and possibly helpful.
  • For fevers above 102° F (39° C), give an acetaminophen product (such as Tylenol).
  • If over 6 months old, can give an ibuprofen product (such as Advil).
1 Like

Then we should compare transmission rates to the measles virus, too, because the point being made is one of risk and reward. Namely, are the risks of taking the vaccine justified?

Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected. Infected people can spread measles to others from four days before through four days after the rash appears.

Covid is also incredibly infectious if no social distancing. Almost nobody is immune to covid.

1 Like

A significant difference between measles and covid is that those most affected by measles are very young while those most affected by covid are usually already past the average age of death, or are already in bad health.

The measles vaccine has side effects that, given the effect on young humans, are completely acceptable. I think that, given what we know about the covid vaccines, the same cannot be said for covid 19.

In fact, I think that only if we accept the economic damage done to humans by shutdowns does the covid 19 vaccine become a slam dunk like the measles vaccine.

1 Like

I agree it’s incredibly infectious it seems, add the long incubation and many with no symptoms, it’s not hard to see how it spread so quickly everywhere.

But idk if it’s as infectious as measles, me and my friend sat right next to a covid positive person during lunch and didn’t seem to get it. At least no symptoms.

1 Like