Yet another mass shooting in the US

I’m no expert, but probably a combination of the two

and here’s the whacko right wing nutjob immediate family…the dad. seemingly more concerned about if shooter was gay than anything else. fucked.
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1595530902288883713

That guy seems to have more than a few screws loose in general, and is unable to process what his kid actually did.

1 Like

meth. and he’s telling you what he cares more about.

1 Like

I guess I just don’t see a lot of utility in examining the politics of people who are obviously bonkers. I said the same about Darrell Brooks, so I have to say it here too.

I’m a lot more interested in why Colorado’s red flag law wasn’t invoked for the shooter after his bomb threat incident last year. It feels like almost every event like this is preceded by obvious warning signs which are ignored.

3 Likes

I implied did I? CO Springs is not the easiest place to be LGBTQ regardless of the political affiliation of the shooter. Unfortunately it does look like his whole family was nuts.

At this point, this looks like the main determining factor.

2 Likes

I think that’s almost always the main determining factor.

Although this kind of shit doesn’t help:

Matt Walsh, the right-wing host of the video show The Matt Walsh Show, blamed the victims of the Colorado Springs massacre for the shooting, which killed five and injured numerous others in a suspected hate attack.

Mr Walsh, in a segment on Tuesday, argued that queer people shouldn’t engage in activities like drag because of violent people who might attack them for doing so, Media Matters reports.

“If it’s causing this much chaos and violence, why do you insist on continuing to do it?” he said. “

“If according to you, it’s like putting people’s lives at risk, if the effort to have men cross-dress in front of children is putting people’s lives at risk, why are you still doing it? Is it that important to you?” he added

Other things too dangerous to justify doing:

• Christmas parades
  • Going to school
  • Shopping
4 Likes

I doubt he committed mass murder because of something Matt Walsh said, but it’ll be interesting to see what he says about his motives in court (if he ends up testifying).

I hope it’s all coincidence too. Constantly labeling drag shows as a danger to society and trans people as groomers doesn’t really help either. We need to just let people be and focus on more pressing issues.

Exposing small children to highly sexualized performances was always going to be controversial. I don’t think that’s going away as an issue. Not that any of that justifies violence against the people who are doing it.

3 Likes

I don’t think drag always has to be highly sexualized. I’ve seen story hours at the local library where the reader is in drag. There was nothing sexual about it.

My stepfather was an actor and I saw plenty of men dressing as women growing up. Again nothing sexual.

People should be allowed to be themselves. Letting children know that there are different kinds of people encourages acceptance. If something is highly sexualized in front of children, then that crosses a line whether its heterosexual, homosexual, etc. The emphasis should be on that point and not on the fact that someone is trans. And certainly shouldn’t be used an excuse to say people should never dress in drag.

Condemning trans people and victim blaming because they choose to be in drag is inexcusable. Especially from someone with a platform like Matt Walsh. Pretending that doesn’t at the very least increase hostility towards trans people is ignoring the obvious.

There are more important issues in society than obsessing over what pronoun someone wants to be called.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be, but it often is. I’m sure you’ve seen the videos.

Yes.

Yes.

3 Likes

The shooter’s dad is a real piece of work… :grimacing:

How often? Enough to insinuate it’s a national crisis? And then devote the amount of coverage that Tucker does on his show to portraying trans people as groomers?

I highly doubt that.

Yeah, there’s a wiki page on him.

Long criminal history, drug addict, convicted of spousal abuse, the shooter didn’t want anything to do with him and seemed to fear him, changed his name back in 2016 so the father couldn’t find him. see here

1 Like

“Dick Delaware” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

As an aside, I’m not sure tehre were any “small children” there. I don’t know exactly how old his daughter is, but her boyfriend was 22 (and one of the victims). And she was out of high school:

It was Mr. Fierro’s first time at a drag show, and he was digging it. He had spent 15 years in the Army, and now relished his role as a civilian and a father, watching one of his daughter’s old high-school friends perform.

1 Like

Yeah, I wasn’t implying that was happening at the bar where the shooting took place.