Young German trying to understand/help young Taiwanese (face, "strange" behaviour)

English is not my native language either.

And what’s the boss gonna do if the guest isn’t interested? Barge in his hotel room and force him to party with everyone?

Different people use different terms to try to express what they mean.

No, but he is making an effort so that his boss can’t say he didn’t try.

It seems like this may be the first time he’s tried to be a host and as a young 20 year old, the OP has yet to learn proper ways to handle being a host.

I know what OP meant by ugly.

He can simply keep their phone conversations and emails as evidence that he did try.

Because some asked, I am male, and I got the job to take care of him from my boss, how some here have wroten.

If some people here think I am a troll because of my bad english:
Umfahren and Umfahren, one word, different meanings, I think you can
seperate them only by spelling or context in German if you only use the language every half year, and are not native? Should be no problem for you right?

I dont know what he has, but I had in the past a good feeling for people in need, and I can say he is in need, I dont know what he has, but he has problems. I tried to help him, he has rejected all tries, good, job done.

However, thats not my problem anymore soon, I will go to my boss today (Its here now damn 03.15 in the morning) and will ask him for another one to take care of him. Me is that too ugly or whatever that word is you use in English for merkwürdig.

strange

1 Like

I’m sure you tried your best. You may or may not learn better ways to help someone in need with age.

3 Likes

I absolutely hate this. I’m blunt and direct. People have used the euphemism “he’s honest” to describe me. :laughing:

Some people might think I say things rudely. Whatever. At least I get my point across instead of beating around the bush. I cringe to think of how many people I’ve offended with my direct form of speech. LOL

1 Like

Will you marry me?

Edit : drat, this was supposed to be a reply to Keoni,…, blew it

1 Like

Me too! It used to drive me crazy. Then one day I realized that I’m not going to change an entire culture and make them talk like me. So I need to make some effort to understand, if not conform.

The guy has shown he doesn’t need you, or want you or your conversation multiple times. Leave him alone. At this point you are stalking, or at least harassing him.

Leave him be.

1 Like

He feels isolated and alone. You need to provide him with a safe environment where he feels confident. Then he will warm to you.

:joy:

To the OP: I think you just need to give your co-worker time to adjust and get used to your way of talking/behaving. And like everyone else have said: tell him that he can count on you for whatever, but don’t be so pushy.

You have such a wonderful way of expressing yourself. It really is the most perfect wonderful way. Go you.

Thanks.

1 Like

That is the hard thing, I know that he has problems, but cannot help him because he is too shy, so I will make me thoughts about him then. But not my problem anymore, I have decided to go on distance to him now, and my boss has found now another employee that takes care of him…

I for my case will eventually visit Taiwan some day, but if they are all so shy, I will have a problem than because I really dont know how to handle that, or how we say in German: Ich kann damit überhaupt nichts anfangen…

Hello folks, here I am again.

As my Boss has found another one to take care of the taiwanese visitor, I thought all would get back to normal, and it did get back to normal, until today afternoon.

He sent me a SMS and asked me for help, no info about what or why, and I dont understand why he asks now me because my Boss ahd told him that a colleague from me is now there for him.

I dont understand that, this is the worriest case I had ever, and I cannot even ignore him like I do it with the mainland chinese if they used to come in the past because I like him and want to help him.
I rellay dont understand that, its so confusing this behavior, and I have no idea how to react now. On the paper it would not be my problem anymore because I am not his supporter anymore, but how a colleague of me said sometime “Die Welt ist nunmal nicht aus Papier” The world is not made out of paper.

If someone here understands that, it would be nice to say me why he shows this behavior, and I know that everyone is different, but this is really a very strange sort of different.

Maybe you’re the closest thing he has to a friend in Germany right now. Or at least maybe you’re friendlier than the current person assigned to help him.

Or maybe the thing he needs help with is the person assigned to help him.

I have really no idea, tomorrow I will see whats happened, I did not answer his SMS, because I have no idea what to write, but I think he will not take the missing answer as unfriendlyness from my side, I hope…

Maybe in this instance, a text back might be a good idea. just say “what’s up?”

He could be feeling sick and needs to see a doctor.