Cracking the Naturalization Language Exam - A Guide

I sat this exam yesterday.

It was a fairly straightforward process that took about 30mins from start to finish.

On arriving, you say hi to the friendly staff who you probably know by name at this point in the process and hand over: your ARC, a 2"x2" passport photo, and 500NT. You’ll be asked whether you want to do the written or oral test and need to wait several minutes for some photocopying and test preparation.

The written test paper is A4 with two sides. The bulk of the first page is a table with three columns - the leftmost for your answers (you write in a ‘1’, ‘2’, ‘3’ or ‘4’), the middle column has the question and potential answer choices and the right column is used for grading. There are 20 questions, all of which appear in the question bank linked on the HHRO website. The final question may wrap around to the second page. The second page also has some notices, but they can be ignored (just explaining the score thresholds for passing).

One thing to be careful of is, unlike the question bank or the online practice test, answer choices are not laid out on their own line - it’s all one big paragraph without much in the way of formatting. Also, as others have noted, during the test you will be photographed, so don’t be alarmed.

On completion, you’ll be given a certificate with your details and score. If you complete the test at the same HHRO you are applying for naturalisation, they can add the certificate to your file so it’s one less document to verify on the day of your application.

In terms of studying for the test, don’t be daunted. I think it’s passable even with a ~60% comprehension of the characters in the questions. Personally, I studied gradually over a longer period, with a big push over the new year break. I went through a time where the language of the questions was just impenetrable, followed by a phase where the quirks of TW law were finally starting to make sense (Labor Pension Pay-in? 25 years - 65 years!). By the end of it, you’ve seen the questions so many times often the first few characters are enough to know what the answers are.

Oh, and, at time of writing, there are two related questions that have a different answer between the Taipei City online test and the question bank document from HHRO. Q 104 and 105 relate to how many years of mandatory schooling there are in Taiwan. Official doc says 9 years (i.e. 6-15yo), Taipei city site is 12 years (6-18yo). By the time you do the test, it may be the latter since that is the government policy objective. HHRO staffer said to defer to the official question bank document from the HHRO website.

HTH

7 Likes

Great update!
Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

just wondering if I already taken more than 3 months of Chinese classes, do I still have to take this quiz? Thanks

Depends on how many hours of class total and whether the school is on the government-recognised list. Ask your school to issue you a certificate that has the relevant information on it and drop into a household registration office and they can tell you. Or, if you share the details here we might be able to track down that list of schools.

4 Semesters of Chinese (International Undergraduate Program IUP) in NCCU, in total : 720hours. Btw, I already have the certificate.

Easy then :slight_smile: You don’t need to do the test.

2 Likes

The 4shared link has long been dead. Does anyone have a copy of the original file? I know it’s not up to the date with the latest questions, but I think it’s still worth a look. Thanks

@Fuzzy_Barbecue

Lucky day! I searched through my archives of “good shit” and I found an original .zip of Cracking the Naturalization Language Exam package which @Northcoast_Surfer had emailed me way back in 2010.

Cracking the Naturalization Language Exam

Please let me know if this Dropbox link works or not.

5 Likes

Dropbox link works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot. The link works perfectly.

Sorry for late response. I got busy trying to make a crack for the new exam. I am about 60% done. Once, I finish it, verify it, and get my certificate with it (hopefully), I will share the new “crack” with everyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s another source for the questions:

Did you crack it in the end?

It’s an interesting coincidence that I saw your comment this morning. Because just last night I finally sat down to resume work on this project, which I haven’t touched since May 2020.

I think it’s doable, but things are a bit challenging this time.

• Number of questions are 252 now (vs 200 earlier).
  • Also, they have really mixed things up, making it difficult to make clear cut postulates based on patterns. There are too many exceptions. :thinking: I suspect this was done on purpose (perhaps) after they became aware of the first crack guide.

Anyways, this is where I left off 6 months ago i.e. a 63% correct rate (via 20 postulates). My goal in this week is get the correct rate up to 70% at least. Rest can be left on luck!

I need to do the exam asap myself, so I will know soon enough if this works or not. I will upload it as soon as it’s ready. It might take another week or two to polish/format it.

P.S. Anyone here knows when is next exam date anywhere in Kaohsiung? And, how do I register for it ?

1 Like

What do you need to pass?

I need 70% in order to pass.

If you can guarantee at least 63% with your new crack, you could probably just about pass by guessing the remaining questions. If not, you could keep taking the exam until you did.

Yes hopefully. I’ve started preparing for the exam since last night (using this guide). I will go for it as soon as I register for it.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a time limit between passing the test and applying for naturalisation?
I am thinking about taking the test now and if I pass I won’t bother going to the classes, if I fail I will go to the classes haha.
I haven’t met the residency period yet but just trying to be organised.
My Chinese ability is pretty basic but I’ve been able to pass the online practice tests!

Thanks!

No. Pass it once, have the certificate. Apply for naturalization.

I know I’ve been saying for a year that I will upload the new ‘crack’ guide. So here it is. It’s finally ready!

Official Download Link (PDF): Cracking the Naturalization Exam - 2020 Edition
List of all 252 questions (Excel): All Q&A Google Translated to English

I’d completed the guide in Dec 2020, but it was unpolished (in terms of formatting etc…), so I decided not to upload it. After I passed my exam in Jan 2021, I had very little motivation to get back to it.

This week I finally ended my procrastination-streak and decided to get it done. I hope this guide will help all those wanting to take the written exam. Even those with good Chinese skills will find these tips helpful.

Finally, here’s some proof that I passed it on my first attempt. I have a certificate with 80% written on it, yet I still absolutely suck at Chinese (unfortunately). :joy:

Good Luck ! :smiley:

One more thing. It’s important that on the day of the exam you are able to ‘handle’ the examination paper on your own. You can’t really ask them to tell you where you should write your name or worse ‘how’ to write your name in Chinese.

Here’s a sample of the exam :

• 1st row, you’ll need to write your Chinese Name, then English Name.
  • 2nd row, Your minguo Year, regular Year, month, day (of Birth)
  • 3rd row, ARC number
  • 4th row, Current Date
  • 5th row, Your signature (just write your name in Chinese again)

It’s extremely important that you learn how to sign/write your name in Chinese.

15 Likes