Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

I had dinner with a (Taiwanese) friend whom I haven’t seen in a while, and he asked me why we don’t wear masks in the west. At one point he said ‘Even if you are sick in class, you won’t wear a mask?’ and my response was ‘if I’m sick enough to warrant wearing a mask, I’m just going to stay home.’ That’s the big difference I see, some people I’ve encountered insist on going out when sick here - I’m glad they wear a mask when they do, but it would still be better to stay home.

3 Likes

No, it’s still a foreigner, he just finally reached the end of his pilgramage.

Now we’ll never find out how he got that final nail in.

2 Likes

That’s the good thing in the west (Europe) sick leave! Sick, stay home!

And going to work.

People like to attribute this to ‘culture’.
I don’t wear glasses, I have 20/10 sight and I hate anything touching my face. I still have a good 60 years left on these eyes. I hate facemasks and would rather stay home.

This “culture” thing of going to work sick is killing the Japanese. Plus even with lockdown, 60 to 70% are going to work.

5 Likes

Rocking up to work when you are sick makes you look good.

Maybe that will start to change after COVID.

3 Likes

Both cultures have blind spots in this scenario. Obviously sick people should stay at home and not go to school or work. However, when you are facing a disease that can spread asymptomatically, no one knows if they already have the disease, so everyone should wear a mask, at least if they want to keep daily life and the economy functioning as usual for the most part.

It all depend on the situation and the type of disease you are dealing with. It’s not just about doing things my way is always right. Failure to adapt to changes, especially when there are already plenty of data suggesting a change of action, is how SARS-COV-2 managed to wreck the West.

5 Likes

Just wondering, wasn’t there, did people in Taiwan wear mask before SARS-1?

I’ve been around Taiwan too long when the first thing I suspect is some Taiwan shops will turn off the air conditioning and blame it on the virus.

3 Likes

They are very similar to hayfever for many.

…Hence people are quarantined still and told to further report any symptoms if they develop.

I was at the mei hua lake on the weekend,it wasnt very busy thankfully , they also had announcements about social distancing that were probably ignored.

There are apps and software that can track crowds congregating guess the authorities need to use them proactively for real time crowd management or else shut down some tourist sites with no measures in place.

1 Like

Basically… no.
Only for scooters.
People started wearing their scooter masks as the fear was very real back then and the government started pushing it. After that it became normalised to wear them when sick or just wear them because you are an anti social bastard, both common reasons.

Wondering if the sailors had contact with other another country’s navy on this “confidential mission”, such as the US?

2 Likes

Kaohsiung is discussing a lockdown as soon as tomorrow according to TVBS news. Tainan’s also not happy. They don’t like the footprints of the three confirmed cases today.

If that were the case, it would have to be in Guam, where the USS Roosevelt is docked. :astonished:

1 Like

It’s possible. It doesn’t take 19 days to sail from Palau to Kaohsiung, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Did they for blue fin tuna?

mished a werd