Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Don’t ask don’t tell. Basically is the message I’m reading from the authorities.

10 Likes

At the pharmacies is it one per person? Or buy as many as you like?

Becuase I swear, I will absolutely lose my shit if some tosser in front decides to hoard 10 packs of testing kits so I don’t get one.

If the rapid at-home test tests positive, am I meant to report it to the government?

Because, seriously … fuck that. Like, can I jsut tell my work “yeah I’m positive” and then just WFH and carry on without letting the government know?

Or do I need to let them know that I tested positive? Or, better yet, can I just say the test came back negative … Or just stick it a bit up my hooter, get a negative result as it didn’t register and then get on with my life.

Because I’m frankly sick of the inconvenience.

Or they got it from family members at some time in the last week and the rapid tests just didn’t show it, because it was too early or because they’re notoriously unreliable.

But I think it’s more likely the parents of the “sick” kids just don’t want their kids going to school and getting covid (which I think is a silly position, but also a common one)

2 Likes

Could be that, but honestly these are five kids who sit at the side or in front of the positive case from last week. Only my daughter and her friend from that area of the classroom came back today. Coincidently, both are in the running team.

Running prevents covid.

Healthy (i.e., runners).
Long or short distance?

At her age, they think 600m is long.

They do sprint training mostly.

3 Likes

They are already hoarding. Its one per identification card .Bring as many as u want

Tried.
Didnt work.
1 box per day per person.
Didnt matter if I had multiple cards.
Only exception is your children’s cards.

Weird. Where i went, person in front of me was doing it and the pharmasist was okay with it. But then again i live in the area where no one cares about rules

Yeah, might be location and who is behind the counter

This is where CECC or whoever in charge has fuqqed up.
Brother-in-law came back from business trip overseas in mid-March and did the 10+ whatever quarantine. He told my wife yesterday they were literally throwing test kits at these incoming travellers, making them do a lot of tests even if negative PCR test pre-arrival and upon arrival.
The wastage of resources and the not-looking-ahead at what will and has NOW happened for test kits due to COVID “explosion” are just more evidence of reactionary whack-a-mole decisions by some.
Anyway, perhaps the good thing is that they realize incoming arrivals aren’t going to fill up hospitals (to 7+ as of May 9). If test kit shortage gets even worse than it is right now, they’ll have to change the “rules” again in reaction to what they sort of created.

2 Likes

I have to test on the last day of quarantine, but you are right. They gave me two test kits. My daughter flies in next week, they’ll give her two as well. Am I free to give them away?

Loose lips sink ships :wink:

Did she get vaccinated during pregnancy?

1 Like

A few more english updates from the news with some interesting tidbits if indeed the molasses runs faster.
More groups outside of CECC want Taiwan to get on the bandwagon with other countries.

Chen said the center should consider exempting people from isolation if they have received a booster shot and can provide a negative result to a rapid COVID-19 test.

He made the comment after being asked to confirm a Mirror Media magazine report about a plan to drop the home isolation policy from next month if the percentage of Taiwanese with a booster shot rises, and COVID-19 cases with severe complications and deaths remain low.

Separately, National Taiwan University College of Public Health professor Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) … said that officials should consider the methods adopted by countries that have reopened their borders by first easing restrictions on foreign travelers with a booster shot and a negative test result.

As the world is gradually opening up and preparing to live with the virus, Taiwan should not fall behind as it is heavily reliant on international trade, NPP Legislator Claire Wang (王婉諭) said.
Tight quarantine rules imposed on inbound travelers have to be changed as they draw on considerable resources and conflict with calls to open the border, she added.

4 Likes

Update: Last night our baby started to cough a lot + 37.9 - 38.5 fever.

This morning the Rapid Test show a light second line ( still considering positive ) Now we are at hospital for the PCR.

While me and my wife still Negative on the Rapid Test.

Good thing is our baby still with the same energy and happy mood .

25 Likes

102 posts were split to a new topic: Personal experiences in the testing/reporting/quarantine process

That is terrible news, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. Glad to hear your baby is still in good spirits.

Praying for your baby, you and your family.

7 Likes

So it looks like pharmacists are the new convenience store clerks.

Police in New Taipei Detain Suspect in Rapid Test Rage Assault

Police in New Taipei have detained a 40-year old man for assaulting a
pharmacist because he was unable to purchase a rapid coronavirus test kit.

The incident occured in the city’s Luzhou District.

According to police, the suspect was arrested for attempting to choke the
pharmacy employee after being told he had arrived too late to buy kits being
sold via the government’s ID card number-based rationing system.

The man had reportedly arrived at the pharmacy and taken a number to purchase
the kit, and left - but returned after the store had already sold out of its
daily allocation.

The case has been turned over to the New Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office.

icrt.com.tw/info_details.php?mlevel1=6&mlevel2=12&news_id=224121

7 Likes