Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

LOL

I kind of forgot about this whole deal until it was (spuriously) raised as a comparison.
The best thing about the whole affair was the one guy on Reddit who said Mr Angry Trousers looked like a “fucking Cuban sandwich with glasses”.
After which he was frequently referred to as “that Cubano looking motherfucker”.
:rofl:

The foreigner was a jerk, but I can’t help but wonder if Mr. Civic would have made such a deal out of it if Mr. Foreigner had instead been Mr. Taiwanese. Because you can’t tell what connections Mr. Taiwanese might have just by looking
and Mr. Foreigner is going to be an easy kill, too. He can’t exactly melt into the crowd and is unlikely to have anyone much to make it difficult for Mr. Civic. I’m not condoning kicking old ladies’ luggage or anything, but the whole insults law thing is nuts.

11 Likes

Just overreaction on all sides. At least Dogs don’t react to getting the " bird". Oh wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AriOBYLyzLI

https://goo.gl/images/Y62GyFhttps://goo.gl/images/Y62GyF

A grown man wearing a t-shirt with wild prints, shorts and trainers. Mind you it all happened in downtown Taipei and not at the beach. And he has tattoos. What more is there to add. I would not want that “teacher” around my children.

What the hell do tattoos have to do with anything? This isn’t the 1950s when only sailors and ex-cons were tatted. A ton of people, Western and Taiwanese, have tattoos these days. His are just more visible than most.

But no, I wouldn’t want him teaching my children either. But that’s due to his actions, not his brand of footwear when he’s not working, or having a bit of ink. How is any of that relevant?

6 Likes

So far, I haven’t been able to see a video of the entire incident (or I guess it could be called a series of incidents), but I haven’t spent too much time looking. I may do a little more looking around, and then hopefully go visit Dreamland.

From what I can see in the Youtube clip provided in Hamletintaiwan’s post (which also seems to be on the Apple Daily site), the foreigner points at another man and says, “Get the **** away from me, buddy.” Then the other man speaks Chinese (at this point the subtitles seem to say â€œćŻä»„ćč«æˆ‘ć€‘ć«äž€äž‹äżć…šć—Ž,” but I may have messed up one or more of the characters), and then he says to the foreigner, “Hey! Come back.” At that point, the foreigner gives the other man the middle finger and gets on the escalator.

Here’s another news video about the incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAhg4ZxG0ls

I see opportunities in this. The next time some hip-hop artist performs, and uses swear words in their rap, can I sue them? Or suppose they curse the police in song. Can a cop sue?

3 Likes

This is still the worst thread ever. Plus I’ve been called a xenophobic poster.

1 Like

we’ve all been through that, welcome to the party.

The far right extreme nazi xenophobic party, to be more precise.

Will there be crab cakes?

Yikes. I hope you’re joking about his appearance. :hushed:

Wild prints? This.is.an.outrage!

We have all kinds of cakes and cookies here, and everyone is welcome! Unlike the other party that only has mud cakes.

The last, last time I gave anyone the finger here was back in 2005 I think. Some upper level management looking guy was blocking the entire pedestrian bridge with himself and his bike while I waited for him to come to and let me pass. I was sweating buckets after a couple hour bike ride in the summer heat and could barely muster the energy to speak. When his wife nudged him and he finally made room for me to pass the handlebar of my bike caught on the dangling cord of his earbuds and the cord fell to the ground. He started screaming at me to apologize as I moved on and I turned around and gave him the finger. Last I saw his wife was restraining him as I mounted up and pedaled away. Not my finest hour in Taiwan and the last time I ever used my middle finger for anything illegal.

We come to work in the gummit like that. And locals wear shorter shorts. Yes, to save electricity.

People teach in comfortable clothes to move with the kids. I have local teacher friends, and they do not wear ties. Shorts, trainers are de rigeur. And tattoos are quiet common among locals, 30s and 40s too.

No one blinks at anyone in shorts in Taipei. Down South even worse. And those are long shorts, not Speedos. And a proper T-shirt, not a tank. Hate when the underarm hair spills out.

We can discuss about the guy’s attitude but his attire has no inference on his character. Thogh we can’t smell it, that could be a problem.

2 Likes

Interesting that the MRT escalator footage has not yet been leaked, have to assume that it doesn’t show Mr Rude in such a bad light.

An interesting alternate view! https://medium.com/goat-magazine/in-defense-of-the-subway-kicker-1e4beee21f0b

2 Likes

58 posts were split to a new topic: I don’t remember the last time I wore long pants/trousers

Tired assed hack Eagles quote notwithstanding, this is Taiwan, everyone goes both ways no matter what the sign on the door says

1 Like