Have you ever bought anything off shopee.tw?

Anyone do the 24h shop? How long did it take? I ordered it last night. However, I might just give in and go to 3C since I need it by tomorrow :joy:

You’re probably better off asking the seller. I’m not sure that “24 h” is a cast-iron guarantee, and whether it applies at weekends or after a certain cutoff.

1 Like

Used to be anything you mailed in taiwan using any method arrived in 24h but now convenience store pickup was taking at least 2 days.

Post office is still pretty fast though.

Anyway noticed this “free gift” scam on Shopee.tw?

Stores advertise that a product will be shipped from Taiwan, and therefore shipping time is 3-5 days (this is automatically set by Shopee). However, upon buying you are forced to add a mandatory “free gift” to the order that increases shipping time to 15-30 days.

Basically, the seller is drop shipping from China but they want to sell to people who filter shipping location to “Taiwan only”, while hoping the buyer doesn’t notice.

1 Like

Yeah, Ive run into that many times. There is a workaround though. Just remove the free gift. Sometimes the order will be canceled because it is a flat out lie to be able to ship within 3 days though. Drop shippers from China are getting annoying and troublesome.

1 Like

There are few methods i have noticed to identify sellers from china. If you see inventory showing like products in thousands thats one giveaway, another is they usualy wont post the city they are in and most of them show taoyuan as their location. Also every delivery in taiwan would not take more than 3 days so if its mentioned as one week or even 5 days, its from china. Its not 100% proof method but still kinda helps.

3 Likes

Just tried again, I can’t see a way to remove the gift. The gift is a “lucky bag” (probably literally just a bag) that is automatically added at checkout.

The free gift is at to “pre-order: 10 days” which extends the shipping time of the main product.

If you want to test it out, search for phone cases or Samsung Galaxy styluses.

I find this in Ruten and other platforms as well.

The way I know they are a drop shipper is that they have far more items than is reasonable. Any store with under 500 items is probably safe (I said probably). Anything above, look at how the items are categorized, and how much they have to do with each other. For example, if you are ordering say a battery for a Samsung Galaxy yet the seller has 5000 items, and you notice most of the items they sell has nothing to do with phones AT ALL, that’s a huge giveaway. Look for relationship between the items they sell and whether or not there’s any categories. Someone with more than 500 items that are all uncategorized is likely not a genuine Taiwanese seller.

But it’s a ton of work to filter them out… I end up buying it myself from Taobao if no Taiwanese seller can be found at all.

2 Likes

I find the photos of the items are most revealing. If the store has real photos of theIR items AND photos are consistent across all items, then it’s probably real stock.

Note, I actually don’t mind drop-shippers - they’re taking on the customs risk, plus we’re only allowed to receive 3 overseas parcels every 6 months.

Just wish they’re make it clear, rather than hiding it and pretending they’re shipping from inside Taiwan.

1 Like

Simplified characters in advertisement literature is a huge giveaway as well.

1 Like

Found it to be fine for supplements

1 Like

I placed an order for something that is shopped from commie-China. It’s making me do an identity verification. The first option Shopee gives me is to upload pics of my ARC, but when I upload it it says it’s blurry or invalid, probably because it’s a gold card, not a regular one.

So I can click “Change KYC” which asks for my name as given to EZ Way, but if I type any english characters it won’t let me submit the form. I checked the EZ Way app and my identity was verified only with my english name. So ummm, hmm

Farging bastages

This part (your identity/real-name verification on Shopee itself) should be fine, even as a foreigner. I vaguely remember the camera feature in the Shopee app not working particularly well (IIRC, it wouldn’t focus properly on my phone, so the on-screen preview looked quite blurry). Probably you just need to fiddle around with the distance, angle, and lighting (no direct overhead lights to avoid glare) until it works. Your gold card should work fine. I had to redo mine a week or two ago for the new ID number actually.

This part (linking your Shopee account to your EZ Way profile) is likely going to be a pain in the ass. See my previous thread:

Long story short, Shopee won’t accept English names for your EZ Way profile, despite EZ Way now being fine with them. The “solution” in my case was repeatedly complaining to Shopee then anyway waiting weeks for them to manually update my profile with… “安德魯” (An-De-Lu), despite that not being on my ARC and despite me never asking them to use that name.

I then complained again to EZ Way (who I’d been cc’ing on my previous complaints to Shopee), and they just added 安德魯 to my EZ Way profile even though that isn’t my name, presumably because they were either sympathetic or bored of hearing from me. This allowed my Shopee and EZ Way accounts to be linked and orders to go through.

Hopefully you’ll be able to somehow skip some of this slow and tedious process, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’m actually not using the app, but taking pics with my phone and then sending those to my PC for upload. Tried twice to no avail. It only rejects the back of the photo.

Maybe for the best – decided to cancel this order and get a different product

Does this work with VISA? I know it says credit card but they always call debit cards “credit card” here

PS still haven’t received my dang table. Ordered a new one from a different seller.

New scam on Shoppee. Items can now be discounted, and it appears this positively affects search results.

In response, sellers are increasing the price of items to ridiculously high values then “discounting” them with -90% off.

Basically if you see a cheap item at 10x it’s usual price, e.g. a 0.5m USB-C cable for $1500NTD, then you know why.

1 Like

I filter a lot of crap off shopee.

Sometimes it helps to message the seller. If they don’t respond within 24 hrs block them, they’re fake.

Ask if the item is in stock. If not, it’s fake.

Lots of taobao ripoffs. They think I can’t just order directly from taobao?

If I’m paying a premium it’s because I can get it now.

Nope, there is no website in English, I can’t read Chinese.

There’s an English interface* on both the app and website, but obviously the product pages and reviews aren’t in English. It’s easy enough to use Google Translate or whatever for those.

(*Well, 80-90%. There’s still the odd bit of Chinese they couldn’t be bothered translating.)

1 Like