Is Taiwan racist?

Andrew generalized just Chinese, it’s much more specific comparing with some posters are generalizing all Asian.

Yea well live and let live

I have a granduncle born in China who spent his entire life in the ROC airforce. He is Chinese. Why? Well that’s who he was. That’s where he was born. But then some people here would probably call him a spy.

Anyway, its my bed time

Back to the OPs point. Yes Taiwan in many ways can be racist. I’ve heard of some cring worthy conversation about black people. Laws are not as fair as most western countries. But i would no more hold the average Taiwanese racist than say when I visited some small towns in Italy where people clearly have never interacted with people from asia. They got over it pretty quick once we talked and or shared a meal. I’d like to think the same of the average Taiwanese person.

2 Likes

If I’m not clear, I don’t take issue with people who are ethnically Chinese (han). I would be partly ethnically be Chinese, as would many people in Singapore, Malaysia. im speaking about PRC nationals and supporters. I can’t speak for other people but I wouldn’t call him a spy unless he was actually spying.

I think that you are all missing some of the main points of Taiwanese racism. Bad apples are in many places, but here the media and the police play a huge factor on this. Remember the babana peel issue…? Also the Laws do not punish racism and it is not in the agenda of politicians because being honest Taiwaneses don´t give a crap about changing their views or improving their racist mentality. Well, they play well the double face when going out to ask for international recognition or better yet US military protection. Truly I think that they do not deserve american blood in a fight against China, but I guess this would well make another topic.

6 Likes

Are you talking about Spain? Because this isn’t really the case in the U.S.

Dude, you just offended millions of fans of the most famous talkative urban Ohio girl of all time. :no_no:

SL1500

Get lots of good karma, man, or all 325 episodes await you in the afterlife! :scream:

True, 1.3 billion is more specific than 4.5 billion. :grinning:

I agree that history is important. So, consider how much a society needs to change to go from discriminating against and depriving people of their rights to banning discrimination and trying to make reparations.

Up to here I agree.

They were immensely different. Then this thing called modernization happened. Not evenly and not in sync, but still it happened, on both sides. Modern Spain doesn’t like to be associated with the Inquisition (which was always kind of unfair because the Inquisition was not uniquely Spanish) or even with fascism, other western countries have similar issues, and Asian countries/regions that have joined the 1st World club don’t like to be described as despotic banana republics or backward rice farms either.

To paraphrase what an angry white collar worker from Scandinavia wrote in another thread recently, Taiwan advertises itself as a modern place. Would a trade representative openly say, yes you can do business in Taiwan, but guanxi rules supreme just like it has for millennia, and if you insist on your rights and all that, you’ll just end up hurting yourself…?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, Matt, and I’m not trying to bash 5000 years of culture (eastern or otherwise) either. I’m just saying the whole forget it Jake, it’s Chinatown phenomenon is less and less compatible with modernity, and accepting it as “just the way things are” is not how progress works.

That’s also not to say, btw, that people should figuratively bang their heads against the wall. Most people have other priorities and don’t have time for headaches. But when someone does stand up for equal treatment, do we really need to shout him down?

Are you saying it’s not a civil war if part of the country claims to be a separate country? (I totally missed the part where Abe said they had permission to secede…)

The conditions exist for a very large portion of the population to perceive it as true, and not just in recent years. If it’s not true, the country does an incredibly lousy job of showing it not to be true. :2cents:

Btw regarding foreigners working for the government in various countries, in Canada it’s normal for priority to be given (legally) to citizens and veterans, but PR’s are definitely eligible. Getting hired (at least by the federal government) as a non-PR foreigner is tricky because the security requirements are much tighter.

2 Likes

I’m talking about this kind of incidents.

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2017/05/17/us/tulsa-police-shooting-trial/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.tw%2F

Do you think if the officer is non-white or the victim is white, is the judgement same?

No.

In this case, the officer was jailed, but what did the police state at the beginning.

Taiwan spends (wastes) so much money on garbage military tech that will have no real use if China decides to invade. Taiwan should use that money and pump it into the medical system or education system. If we are all being honest China would just BTFO of Taiwan and Taiwan is 100% dependent on the Americans defending the island.

Does Taiwan really need to waste so much money on this shit when the Americans will just defend them if China decides to pull shit. Why should Taiwan even have a military?

EDIT
Can this be moved to a new thread?

You listed several incidents where black men were shot by the police, but provided zero evidence that they were shot because they were black.

How about a study that shows that in similar encounters between police officers and suspects, blacks are actually less likely to be shot than whites?

2 Likes

“officers in Houston were about 20 percent less likely to shoot if the suspects were black.”

How is in other states?

And “They(black peole) are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.”

From the original paper
“To be clear, the empirical thought experiment here is that a police officer arrives at a scene and decides whether or not to use lethal force. Our estimates suggest that this decision is not
correlated with the race of the suspect. This does not, however, rule out the possibility that there are important racial differences in whether or not these police-civilian interactions occur at all.”

I think this is the first time a mod engaged me! So excited :wink:

I believe there is such a thing as a modern western society and a modern east asian society, which is different. I don’t believe in modern=western and that all countries are developing to a point where the world is one globalized village. The culture and history is too different. So what I object to is saying things like “why can’t Taiwan be more like the US or Europe or…”. It never will be.

I would say “the country” is quite modern but culture and society are not. This is of course only shaped by my personal experiences which are probably quite different from other posters.

Guanxi only rules 80% of daily life, not 100% :wink:
Of course everybody should insist on their rights!

Again, your idea of modernity and progress might be different than that of the locals, who should have the final say I believe. And I don’t think Taiwan is Chinatown, it’s more like “China farmer village”. :grin:

I sincerely hope I did not shout anybody down! Who am I to do that, after all OP has experienced. I was just trying to add another POV.

Ethnic Koreans, Japanese - same race.

Poles are not a race. Turks are not a race. Islam is not a race… And so on.
Caucasians are found from Finland to Pakistan with different colour skin.

2 Likes

ah, then they are not racism.

If Taiwan didn’t spend all that money on American arms sales (or companies affiliated to (lobbyists in) the Military Industrial Complex), the USA would be less inclined to defend them.

1 Like

Yep it’s called buying support of Congress and it works to a point .

Question : How come Pres Tsai was given a tour of NASA recently…Apart from the Taiwan travel act allowing it ?

Anybody know?

It was because NASA wants the contracts to launch Taiwan’s satellites.

I never thought about it like this before. This makes total sense though.

It’s not also just Taiwan forced to buy arms for support. In Obama’s time they didn’t really sell much and some people had to push Obama’s administration to sell more arms to Taiwan to show support. It’s more a sign of support than the actual sale. The financial benefits of the sale to the US is just as minimal as how much they would actually help Táiwān in a full invasion.

We aren’t talking small potatoes here . Billions of dollars are funneled into Apache sales, patriot missiles, Boeing etc. That’s a lot of jobs. The congressmen in those districts are then incentivised to keep supporting the Taiwan Relations Act.

But it’s also true it sends a signal that the US is still supporting Taiwan.

This reads like a promotional ad for the arms industry…

1 Like