Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

I’ve seen this before in this thread. Doesn’t the breading on the nuggets run counter to low carb, though? Wondered this last time chicken nuggets were mentioned.

Milk is ok, but you might be surprised how many carbs it has. If you’re counting carbs, that is.

1 Like

Not really low carb especially when compared with something like chicken wings. Here 6 pieces of each compared.

Screenshot_20180716-100321_Carb%20Manager

1 Like

Great, going to have some chicken wings with my refreshing ice cold beer tonight!

2 Likes

I figured the chicken nuggets had some carbs due to the breading but I’m not as concerned with carbs as other folks. I just focus on fasting with a bunch of meat and veggies.

1 Like

Weeelll … technically lactose is a sugar and will be metabolized as such, but unless you’re doing a very-low-carb cycle it’s probably fine. Unless you’re drinking like a liter a day.

Somewhat similar (love that, BTW - been a while since I had it). More like pulled pork perhaps. Next time I go there I’ll pay attention to what it’s called :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oopsie

https://youtu.be/v-SCOprOFVs

Very interesting turn around.

Two months lazy keto, lost 4.3kg. Lazy keto because two vacations in two months hard to maintain keto diet.

2 Likes

I’m roughly 4 months into my “not really keto but fairly low carbs” diet, dropped from 88kg (close to 89kg) to 82kg. I put on a lot of weight after a back injury last year, so my objective was to go back to a more reasonable shape this year. It’s going well so far, especially considering that instead of just doing cardio I added some lifting in the mix. I’m pretty sure my fat weight loss is bigger than what the scale shows.

My diet isn’t really “keto” because I don’t keep track of the amount of carbs. I just need to stay away from any wheat based product and sweetened foods/drinks, so even though I can eat all sort of fruits and veggies it ends up being fairly low carbs.
I’m eating obscene amounts of meat, fish and eggs, plenty of green stuff and some fruit here and there. I allow myself a cheat meal each week, which usually ends up being fried or bbq stuff from a night market or something along those lines.

It would be great to be in the 80/81kg range before middle of August, I’ll have to spend nearly three weeks in Indonesia so I’m not sure what kind of food I’ll end up having there. The next target would be to drop below 80kg before the rain season of doom, after which I’d be happy to keep a stable weight until next year’s good season.

3 Likes

Eh fried stuff is considered keto. So all the mystery meats at the BBQ stand, most stuiff at the fritanga places -the fry everything inckuding the kitchen sink places, I mean chicken and squid and quail eggs and broccoli- all are yours to take. :yum: …except digua/sweet potato, French fries and I am not so sure about tempura.

Indonesia is big on BBQ, though I wonder about the peanut satay sauces, which are soooo gooood.

Digua are ok for me (in reasonable amounts), while potatoes are a bit haram so I can only have them as part of my cheat meal.

I don’t remember ever trying indonesian food, with the exception of some instant noodles had as emergency food during a typhoon years ago. If they have bbq stuff, I should be fine!

From 88-89 to 82. Good work! I’m having a hard time dropping down one more kilo. I’m at 85 but would like to get down to 84. I’m sure it’s the beer. There’s an untouched fifth of Jim Beam just sitting around. Maybe I’ll experiment and lay off the beer for a week or so, get into the Jimmy Beam, and see if that brings my weight down that last kilo that I want. Except for the booze, I’m also doing a bit of low carb effort. At least I’m having no trouble keeping at my current 85 kilos (started from 93 kilos). I think another kilo would help with my exercise goals since I seemed to have plateaued.

Oh yeah, I had to give up beer…I miss it sometimes…BUT…I don’t have particular restrictions for wine , sake or vodka, so when I’m in the mood for some alcohol I still have options. I’m not a heavy drinker, so it doesn’t have much effect on my diet.

:clap:

:clap::clap:

That wasn’t me. I’m from 93 to 85. I would be doing great with cycling if I got down to 82.

Lay off the sake and beer. Wine so so but vodka and whiskey are much better (even if drinking a whole cup and not just a shot). Just don’t drink cocktails or mix it with Coke or orange juice or tonic water or something. Soda water is okay because it’s just water, but tonic water has sugar. Gin OK, gin tonic, not OK.

Screenshot_20180724-163243_Carb%20Manager
Screenshot_20180724-163106_Carb%20Manager

Screenshot_20180724-163154_Carb%20Manager

Screenshot_20180724-163327_Carb%20Manager

Screenshot_20180724-163439_Carb%20Manager

1 Like

Wow, I’m definitely going to switch to whiskey. Scotch for a while would be nice, actually. I’m surprised to see that about sake.

This given by one of the partners as I’m discussing this. Just loads of carbs.
P_20180724_164005_vHDR_Auto

I try to drink apple cider vinegar and lemon juice every day. Usually just a tablespoon of either one in a glass of water. To help avoid keto flu, burn fat, clean liver, and assist general health. Magnesium.

My cocktail of choice is sparkling water, vodka and a squeezed lemon (or half), with a couple of mint leaves from my balcony. On the rocks, of course. It’s pretty glorious.

@marasan : my wife loves baking cookies and cakes -___- it’s a neat hobby, but not ideal for my diet, so I just try a little bit of what she prepares and then I share the rest with friends. My wife is happy to share, but if I don’t eat something she spent hours preparing she’ll feel poor, so…
Of course I prefer when she prepares Dongpuo Ro or whatever’s the pin yin for the super soft pork belly. I found an all you can eat in Jiaoxi where they have sashimi and Dongpuo Ro, I don’t think the price of the meal covers their cost for the amount of stuff I eat.

1 Like