Major Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ

Hahaha. Alright the second one is probably going to upset Muslims in any context. But I can’t help to think that when multiple hadiths say Mohammad had sex with all of his 13 wives every night, he probably liked having sex with his child bride.

1 Like

Telling the truth is considered hateful bigotry. Here’s some more:

Don’t quote or paraphrase from the manifesto.

1 Like

I click on a link about the mosque shooting and people are talking about Mohammad’s wives. Can’t you guys just cool it for two seconds?

2 Likes

Yeah, let’s talk about the guy in that one mosque who supposedly shot back and kept the casualties down. Because that’s my kind of gun grabber.

Chelsea is an intellectual lightweight, it’s true. But…

I really feel like this place foments alt-rightism. How long before some Forumosan shoots up an Indonesian mosque in Taiwan.

Theologically? A lot of Muslims will be inclined to believe them all, even the ones that contradict the other ones. Historically? We should probably treat them all with a huge grain of salt. They are oral traditions.

Incidentally, the same tradition holds that Muhammad’s first wife, Khadiya, was 15 years older than him.

Wait what? How does that work when they say two different things. I know that any of Mohammad’s contradictions, his later words supersede his earlier words. But what if they’re factual details?

Well, some Christians profess to believe every word of the Bible. Maybe a better comparison would be with Judaism, with all its Talmudic and Midrashic writings. These are venerated, to be sure, and read from time to time, but contain all sorts of dubious information (like the gossipy detail that Jesus’s father was a Roman named ben Panthera).

The principle you mentioned (in which later verses supersede older ones) applies to the Qur’an, which is thought to have been revealed by God, not composed by Muhammad. The hadith are not on that level, and Islamic scholars have always debated the reliability of one tradition vs. another.

1 Like

There are some weird ones. Like everyone can drink milk, water is always drinkable and clean, Mohammad sucking children’s lips and tongue.

Yeah, there’s pretty bad “thread drift” here (as usual when anything is related to Islam or religious identity). Clean-up in aisle 5?

1 Like

So it’s a question of what you think. My point is, that’s your only example? It’s not a strong one.

You’re drunk on Sam Harris.

Some as young as 13 is not the same as 6. It’s a fact Mohammed sought permission to marry Aisha as it was not normal at the time.

If you’re going to comment on a link it’s a good idea to read it first.

Its not what I think. If you’re going to be having sex with a child every night as reported in Islamic sources, you liked it. It’s not that big of a jump to say he liked having sex with a child.

There’s been many NGOs like the Organization of Islamic cooperation trying to pressure law makers in limiting free speech according to sharia compliance. There’s many none binding bills passed in Canada and other bills that got rejected, and there’s been the expending of the scope of existing laws that do that.

Here is what the OIC says about countering Islamophobia
http://www.iqrasense.com/islamic-outreach/challenges-of-countering-islamophobia-the-oic-initiative.html

Here is a German journalist jailed

https://www.theissue.com/politics/german-journalist-sentenced-to-6-months-of-jail-time-for-criticizing-islam

There’s more of examples if you want to look of expending the scope of how the law is applied in many cases under hate speech and such.

Answer this, if Muhammad was alive today. Would he be closer to the people in ISIS or closer to your moderate Muslims?

We seem to be going way off topic, if you would like to have a discussion on the ins and outs of Islam or free speech might I suggest starting a thread on that topic elsewhere.

5 Likes

Juan Cole’s recent post brings it all together: