Moon Cakes, to eat or not to eat

If you have a sugar low, eat one!

Pomelo is also dangerous for people with digestive issues and children, don´t let them eat more than a piece or two.

A friend of mine uses them to make limoncello.

How so?

I recall at least one of us who had to make an emergency trip to the hospital with his kid and was told it was because of the pomelos.

Lemme see if I can get some linkies

Pomelos might be close enough to grapefruits which interact with Lipitor, although it would be rare for a kid to be on that.

There is this one here:

And I remember the same warning every year, like the one from moon cakes being too high in calories, telling people not to consume too many pomelos if they have certain conditions, are elderly or small children.

1 Like

Yeahhhhh ok I’ll give it to you

@Icon here is this years warning about moon cakes and calories… https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3774181

The worst I have read this year about pomelos is that they are not dry enough, hence they are not very tasty.

During lunch, Yang suggests turning mooncakes into hors d’oeuvres by cutting them into quarters or thirds and using a toothpick to place slices of lettuce, cucumbers, pineapples, bananas, and tomatoes on top, according to the report.

Sweet and savoury anyone ?

Yuck, I think I would rather just eat the salad and fruit without the moon cakes.

My wife was given a bunch of pomelos last week, I hate them, they are kind of like oranges but drier, less juicy and have very chewy skin between the segments. The kids have been complaining all week when eating them and I need to cut off all the chewy parts for them. Would prefer to just eat oranges…

3 Likes

I like sun cakes better honestly. They aren’t as sweet and I like the flakey dough.

1 Like

I never thought of that. Moon cakes, sun cakes. I like the wife cakes

I hate foods you have to work for. You know what food is worth the work? Lobster. You know what isn’t? Some mediocre citrus fruit.

So is eating this a Taiwanese pride thing? Like they can’t admit it actually sucks, so they go overboard with their love for it?

I like it. Citrus

1 Like

I generally like citrus, but it’s drier than a sofa cushion.

1 Like

Certainly on the dry side for citrus, but can be quite juicy

To be fair, in post 13 of that thread, it turns out the poster’s kid was just sick with a stomach bug and the pomelos were a coincidence.