Students In Taiwan

Hey everyone I am new to the forum and will be moving to Taiwan in February to study Chinese and business. I am curious if there are other American students on the forum and to know what student life is like there.

No, absolutely none. This site is for serious professionals only.

Oh Im sorry I must have misunderstood.

Which is why there are kindergarten teachers here! :roflmao:

If he never comes back here it will be your fault! I say that while trying not to laugh, but it’s still true.

KyleS: He’s having a laugh. Don’t mind him. Yes, there are plenty of other students here, though I’m not sure how many are American. There are also plenty of Americans who are not students. Oh yeah, Lili. She’s a student and American.

I found a few threads that discuss various topics having to do with studying here. I’m not sure whether any of these threads will answer any of your questions, but I think some of the people posting in these threads are, or have been, students here. Here are the threads:

Oh haha :slight_smile: You got me good, Im going to be at Tamkang University.

Thanks Charlie thats very helpful

Kyle, welcome to the Island. Tamkang is a nice place, rent around campus is cheap, plus plenty of good food and stuff to do. Heard they have quite a bit of international students nowadays.

Hope you have a great time. Ah, if I could go back to my student days… :grandpa:

There are farang students everywhere in Taiwan.
But I dont understand why so many farang students, after I read another thread that says American univerisites are number 1 and Taiwan university is number 100.
If Taiwan univeristy is so b**lsh*t why so many farang?
Are they all Cheap Charlie want to study for free?

[quote=“sam_wong”]There are farang students everywhere in Taiwan.
But I don’t understand why so many farang students, after I read another thread that says American univerisites are number 1 and Taiwan university is number 100.
Are they all Cheap Charlie want to study for free?[/quote]

Because the rankings don’t always indicate class quality, and Study in Taiwan has a really good PR system.

On that note, I’m considering starting a ‘DON’T Study in Taiwan’ group, to dissuade people from joining this ‘world class education system’ until they get their act together. Good idea?

What the hell is a farang student? This isn’t Thailand.

Sam: I think most of the foreign students in Taiwan fall into one of two categories. The first (which I suspect would make up the majority) would be for those trying to learn Chinese. It probably doesn’t take a genius to figure out why a person wanting to learn Chinese would attend a Taiwanese university rather than an American one. The second group would probably consist of people from countries that have really bad universities but who can’t get into better universities outside of Taiwan. Often, their country of origin recognises Taiwan over China, so they get scholarships. Obviously, given the choice between whatever passes for a university in a country in West Africa and a Taiwanese university, the latter would be preferable. However, given the choice between Tai Da and Harvard (or even several dozen other universities in the U.S., the U.K., Australia, etc.), pretty much anyone in the world is going to choose the latter. Isn’t this pretty obvious? I know there’s national pride involved, but I can accept that the U.S. has many universities that are much better than anything from my own country. Why do so many Taiwanese delude themselves?

Because the chip on the shoulder, the low self-esteem and the inferiority complex are part of the national psyche. Oh, wait, you were asking rhetorically. :laughing:

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]What the hell is a farang student? This isn’t Thailand.

Sam: I think most of the foreign students in Taiwan fall into one of two categories. The first (which I suspect would make up the majority) would be for those trying to learn Chinese. It probably doesn’t take a genius to figure out why a person wanting to learn Chinese would attend a Taiwanese university rather than an American one. The second group would probably consist of people from countries that have really bad universities but who can’t get into better universities outside of Taiwan. Often, their country of origin recognises Taiwan over China, so they get scholarships. Obviously, given the choice between whatever passes for a university in a country in West Africa and a Taiwanese university, the latter would be preferable. However, given the choice between Tai-Da and Harvard (or even several dozen other universities in the U.S., the U.K., Australia, etc.), pretty much anyone in the world is going to choose the latter. Isn’t this pretty obvious? I know there’s national pride involved, but I can accept that the U.S. has many universities that are much better than anything from my own country. Why do so many Taiwanese delude themselves?[/quote]

Farang is white foreigner. Farang is stil farang, even if he is not in Thailand any more.
Its like African man is still black, even he moves to America.

I walk around Zheng Da and see a lot of farang look like from Europe or America or Canada.
I think all those places have good univeristies.
But in America even you go to a bad university, you have to get a huge student loan and get lots and lots of debts.
And when you finish maybe you cant find a job, or maybe have to go work McDonald’s or something like that, because right now the economy is ruined.
But maybe they come study Taiwan, get a scholarship, and also teach some English and maybe even make a profit and get a degree too.

Which is why there are kindergarten teachers here! :roflmao:

If he never comes back here it will be your fault! I say that while trying not to laugh, but it’s still true.

KyleS: He’s having a laugh. Don’t mind him. Yes, there are plenty of other students here, though I’m not sure how many are American. There are also plenty of Americans who are not students. Oh yeah, Lili. She’s a student and American.[/quote]

Oh, I’m not a student. Mmmm… maybe next year. Right now its just work and private 中文 lessons.
But yes, I am American.

at OP: It seems like there is quite a vibrant foreign-student community at Shi-Da (Mandarin Training Center at NTNU). I’m not sure though cause I tend to keep my distance…
You’ll probably have a blast :slight_smile:

[quote=“sam_wong”][quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]What the hell is a farang student? This isn’t Thailand.

Sam: I think most of the foreign students in Taiwan fall into one of two categories. The first (which I suspect would make up the majority) would be for those trying to learn Chinese. It probably doesn’t take a genius to figure out why a person wanting to learn Chinese would attend a Taiwanese university rather than an American one. The second group would probably consist of people from countries that have really bad universities but who can’t get into better universities outside of Taiwan. Often, their country of origin recognises Taiwan over China, so they get scholarships. Obviously, given the choice between whatever passes for a university in a country in West Africa and a Taiwanese university, the latter would be preferable. However, given the choice between Tai-Da and Harvard (or even several dozen other universities in the U.S., the U.K., Australia, etc.), pretty much anyone in the world is going to choose the latter. Isn’t this pretty obvious? I know there’s national pride involved, but I can accept that the U.S. has many universities that are much better than anything from my own country. Why do so many Taiwanese delude themselves?[/quote]

Farang is white foreigner. Farang is stil farang, even if he is not in Thailand any more.
[/quote]

Black is a physical adjective. Not a description of nationality.
I think you mean “An African that moves to American is still African-American.” which makes no sense in regard to your point.

[quote=“sam_wong”]There are farang students everywhere in Taiwan.
But I don’t understand why so many farang students, after I read another thread that says American univerisites are number 1 and Taiwan university is number 100.
Are they all Cheap Charlie want to study for free?[/quote]

farang… :aiyo:

This is a forum about Taiwan, not Thailand.

sam_wong sure sounds like a unpleasant and insecure person.
I think that at the university in my hometown in Germany the number of Taiwanese studying there is higher than the number of Germans who study in all universities in Taiwan.
It is good that Taiwan’s opening up a bit. Sam just relax.

KyleS, I was a lecturer at Tamkang years ago. If you study at Tamkang University be prepared to walk stairs. Yes, stairs.

[quote=“sam_wong”]

I walk around Zheng-Da and see a lot of farang look like from Europe or America or Canada.
I think all those places have good univeristies.
But in America even you go to a bad university, you have to get a huge student loan and get lots and lots of debts.
And when you finish maybe you cant find a job, or maybe have to go work McDonald’s or something like that, because right now the economy is ruined.
But maybe they come study Taiwan, get a scholarship, and also teach some English and maybe even make a profit and get a degree too.[/quote]

You can go to Har-Var and work in McDonalds too, or your uncle’s Chinese restaurant.

Are the traits we dislike in others really the traits we dislike in ourselves?