Teaching English Requirements

Only if your employer is applying for your ARC.
Those with JFRV or APRC status do not need a degree to work legally. However, many employers want you to have a university degree.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t sure if the degree was necessary for the job AND the visa, or just for the visa.

Isn’t it the weirdest thing with open work rights? The MOE require teachers to have a qualification, but open work rights allows an individual to ignore this. Is breaking an MOE regulation illegal? Could someone with open work rights but no training become a doctor regardless the Taiwan Medical Association regulations?

I wonder if yyy may know more, but my gut feeling is that failing to declare one isn’t qualified is probably illegal. I’m not sure, though.

It’s not necessary for either of them (unless you need a work permit, and then it’s necessary for the WP).

What’s (now) always necessary is a criminal record check, if you want to work in a buxiban.

OWR means you’re in the same boat as local people, except that your contract cannot be indefinite unless you’re a PR, and certain jobs are off limits for security reasons.

I see, so locals can teach in buxibans without a bachelor’s degree.

Yes.
Any private school including buxibans, anchingbans and private elementary schools.

Many Taiwanese teachers at private schools have degrees but lack teacher certificatios, however, it is all legal.

Nope. It is not illegal unless you are in a position that legally requires a degree and certification, namely public schools, junior highs and senior highs.

1 Like

Although we all know foreigners with open work rights but no certification who are teaching in those schools. Often employed through the public sector.

You guys have been saying it’s easy to find jobs in Hsinchu, but seriously, where do you find them? Do I have to walk through the door and hand them my resume?

1 Like
  • Look up the schools online. Contact through email or call.

• search Tealit

It’s been a long time since I’ve been looking for work. However, the rule of thumb for getting a job used to be as follows:

1. Recommendation. If someone recommends you then you are generally sorted.
  2. Getting a recruiter to get you a job.
  3. Going into buxibans and handing in your cv.
  4. Applying online.

Dig it up for you.

教保服務人員條例
第 35 條 行為人有下列情形之一者,處新臺幣六千元以上三萬元以下罰鍰,並得按次處罰:
一、違反第二十六條第二項規定,未具教保服務人員資格,於幼兒園從事教保服務。

English translation of those rules:

http://edu.law.moe.gov.tw/EngLawContent.aspx?lan=E&id=282

Any idea what the fine would be for running a preschool without any sort of government approval? Asking for a friend.

60k ~ 300k NTD

Early Childhood Education and Care Act
http://law.moj.gov.tw/MOBILE/lawEng.aspx?pcode=H0070031
Article 47
Any responsible persons or perpetrators employed by a preschool who conform to any one of the following statements shall be subject to a fine of not less than 60,000 New Taiwan Dollars and not more than 300,000 New Taiwan Dollars; in addition, the preschool shall be ordered to suspend operations. Refusal to comply may be subject to consecutive fines:

1. Violated Paragraph 1 of Article 8 by enrolling children and conducting educare services without approval.
  2. Failed to complete registration according to Article 10 and by enrolling children and conducting educare services.
    If any of the Subparagraphs in the preceding Paragraph is true, the municipal or county (city) competent authority shall make public the address of the preschool and name of the responsible person or perpetrator to the public.

Thanks.

TG is asking about the ban on hiring teachers via a buxiban instead of directly. It’s in a 函 somewhere…

But thanks for that. So yes, it’s $6k to $30k for teaching kindergarten without “educare” credentials, not $60k. If a teacher was fined $180k, he must have been caught six times. (That’s assuming there was no other violation, like using a fake certificate.)

Oh, in that case, if I understand correctly, the corresponding law is Article 34 of The Statute for Preschool Educators.

Article 34
Preschools about which any of the following statements is true shall be subject to a fine of not less than 6,000 New Taiwan Dollars and not more than 30,000 New Taiwan Dollars, the preschool shall be ordered to take corrective actions by a specified date, and failure to take corrective actions by the specified date shall result in consecutive fines per violation. Serious violations or failure to take corrective actions after 3 fines may, in accordance with the seriousness of the case, result in the reduction of number of children enrolled, suspension of enrollment for 6 months to one year, suspension of preschool operations for 1 to 3 years, or revocation of establishment registration:
1.Those that violate Paragraph 1 of Article 26 by employing dispatched preschool educators.

Government will do something?
短期補習班違法經營幼兒園問題研析
https://www.ly.gov.tw/Pages/Detail.aspx?nodeid=6590&pid=85533

1 Like

Oh, sorry! I thought your “checked where?” was in reference to the ban on dispatching teachers, but I just noticed it was in reference to the fine for not being a qualified educare provider.

Early Childhood Education and Care Act

Tando has brought to my attention a new law, 教保服務人員條例, that just had its first anniversary a few days ago. Parts of it repeat parts of the ECECA.

The Statute for Preschool Educators

So there we have it. And as Tando pointed out, Art. 34 of the new law sets a fine of 6k to 30k for violating Art. 26 of the new law, which clearly prohibits using “dispatched” (派遣) teachers in a kindergarten, i.e. it prohibits using teachers who are officially employees of another entity and merely on loan to the kindergarten; and Art. 35 sets the same fine (6k to 30k) for teaching in a kindergarten without the right credentials; not to be confused with Art. 47 of the ECECA, which sets a fine of 60k to 300k (plus a shutdown order), for operating an unregistered kindergarten.